Author Topic: Delayed Fuse Bombs  (Read 2965 times)

Offline USBP1969

• Zinc Member
Delayed Fuse Bombs
« on: December 11, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »
Years ago before I began flying in AH I flew in WAR BIRDS.  I will not ever be going back, but there is something I really miss.  It is called delay fused bombs. In WB they were available in 5 second increments. (5/10/15/20 seconds)

It added a great deal of fun to the that combat flight sim and mirrors WW-II reality. I recall one famous bombing raid where the delayed fuse bombs were set to detonate as long as 24 hours after being dropped.  Here's hoping...

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Delayed Fuse Bombs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 05:04:50 PM »
I'd mainly be interested if it meant introducing techniques like skip bombing.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 06:16:28 PM »
Years ago before I began flying in AH I flew in WAR BIRDS.  I will not ever be going back, but there is something I really miss.  It is called delay fused bombs. In WB they were available in 5 second increments. (5/10/15/20 seconds)

It added a great deal of fun to the that combat flight sim and mirrors WW-II reality. I recall one famous bombing raid where the delayed fuse bombs were set to detonate as long as 24 hours after being dropped.  Here's hoping...

Loved those for NOE.

+1
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 07:23:44 PM »
What purpose does Delay serve when adjusting your salvo?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »
What purpose does Delay serve when adjusting your salvo?

It sets the gap in drop time of each bomb.

Offline USBP1969

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 12:37:12 AM »
.salvo # remains the same, but there is a preset delay after the bomb impacts the earth. I believe that it was ".d05, .d10, .d15," etc.  Example: I had been chasing an enemy fighter and when I was approximately D1000 my plane blew up?(!)  I was stunned and one of my fellow countryman explained that the enemy fighter had dropped a bomb with a 10 second delayed fuse.  After that when I saw a puff of dust under an enemy aircraft I broke hard left or right.

It takes a different skill set to drop a bomb at high speed when flying that low level.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 02:26:25 AM »
.salvo # remains the same, but there is a preset delay after the bomb impacts the earth. I believe that it was ".d05, .d10, .d15," etc.  Example: I had been chasing an enemy fighter and when I was approximately D1000 my plane blew up?(!)  I was stunned and one of my fellow countryman explained that the enemy fighter had dropped a bomb with a 10 second delayed fuse.  After that when I saw a puff of dust under an enemy aircraft I broke hard left or right.

It takes a different skill set to drop a bomb at high speed when flying that low level.

There is no delayed fuse in AH. Delay determines salvo spread. The bombs explode on impact:

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/81-tactics/bomber/1039-level-bombing-techniques

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 04:39:00 AM »
While I like the idea being implemented for events I can see delayed action bombs creating problems for HTC if they were allowed in the MA. A player spawns and drives out of a hangar 10 seconds after a plane has flown over and then blows up for no apparent reason. Cue outraged rage quit posts on the BBS....

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 05:32:05 AM »
Hmmmmm.....there must be a reason HT has not implemented that feature in AH3. What could that reason be.....I wonder...

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 10:04:27 AM »
Hmmmmm.....there must be a reason HT has not implemented that feature in AH3. What could that reason be.....I wonder...

Just not a completely necessary thing for Aces High. IL-2 has delay timers and they are very useful for low level bombing, but they are more needed there than here.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 11:43:34 AM »
+1

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »

This was my favorite thing to do to vulchers.    :rofl
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 02:41:49 PM »
While I like the idea being implemented for events I can see delayed action bombs creating problems for HTC if they were allowed in the MA. A player spawns and drives out of a hangar 10 seconds after a plane has flown over and then blows up for no apparent reason. Cue outraged rage quit posts on the BBS....

Vraciu Rule No. 1 - Don't roll from a CAP'ed field.
”KILLER V”

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 04:45:16 AM »
A limit could be imposed on how long the max fuse delay can be set at.  I would like to see ot as a feature so it would allow skip and masthead bombing.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline USBP1969

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 07:19:05 AM »
Sorry - I forgot to address "skip bombing." That was also enabled about the same time as the "Delayed Fuse" bombs, and as I recall, it required a special bomb load out.