Author Topic: Logs for Offline Missions  (Read 451 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Logs for Offline Missions
« on: December 12, 2019, 11:45:11 AM »

Should logs function in offline missions?
I tried to start them.  It says they were started, but could find anything anywhere.  I stopped them after the mission was over.

I'd love to be able to write out the starts of who shot who or destroyed what from an offline mission.  Just like you get from a scenario.  Even more awesome if the arena config could be set to always auto generate the log.  Then I could parse it and do silly stuff.   :D 

I was looking for a fun practice project for Unity.  I kinda wanted to build a project that simulated a campaign manager for a series of offline missions.  As you completed each mission, based on the results and a mission tree, it would queue up the next appropriate mission.  You would alt-tab back over to AH to play the next missions.

Alternatively I guess I could have them come back and just fill out a AAR. That might be kinda cool too, just not as accurate.

Yeah, I've had too much coffee this morning.  ;)

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Logs for Offline Missions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »
Logs for Offline Missions is something you will need to take up with HT....

For the WWI, Malee Arena, AvA are set automatic generating to update every 24 hours for score/stats/rank

For special events, the CM's have to start and end the logs, which are being recorded to the CM's computer, so the CM can upload the logs to the AH Events website for whichever particular event they were hosting

I'm not to sure how you could get that to work for you with offline missions, unless theirs a way that I can't remember (there might be one though), but as you posted you would need a program/software, or script or code to do your own parsing of the raw logs to say for instance build a spreadsheet with formulas, etc to show the results....if you are wanting them to look like the 2 options for events logs viewing that you can pull up on AH events website....

But that is a task in itself for the CMs to remember to do each time they host an event......I'm not to sure how practical it would be for offline missions, for the player loading/running/playing the mission would need to  be well versed in the CM commands and learn to do their own logs....

Or have I misinturpeted your OP?

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »
Logs for Offline Missions is something you will need to take up with HT....

OK.  This may be more of a wishlist item, but I wanted to sanity check I was doing it right and not just "Oh it puts the file in the windows/temp folder" or some silliness.

In the mission I did ".startlog" ".endlog" thing and it gave no errors but I never found any output file anywhere.

For special events, the CM's have to start and end the logs, which are being recorded to the CM's computer, so the CM can upload the logs to the AH Events website for whichever particular event they were hosting

Yeah, I wanted offline missions to do the same.  Just dump a local log file down in a folder that I could grab a process after a mission.

I'm not to sure how you could get that to work for you with offline missions, unless theirs a way that I can't remember (there might be one though), but as you posted you would need a program/software, or script or code to do your own parsing of the raw logs to say for instance build a spreadsheet with formulas, etc to show the results....if you are wanting them to look like the 2 options for events logs viewing that you can pull up on AH events website....

Yeah, I can write what ever parsing I need.  As Fugitive  said in my sig. ;)

A wishlist item might to be having offline missions just dump a log into the local AH tmp folder every time they are run, as default behavior.  Same file name overwritten each time.
But I was just trying to see if I could even do it manually.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 03:22:20 PM »
Are you wanting to make it to where it's an automated feature for offline missions or as you mentioned earlier in your opening post, about "Alt-tabbing" out of AH to another separate add-on designed feature ....?? "Campaign Manager"

I will try to get some time and go pull up my CM checklist of how to do the logs (start logs / stop logs / upload logs to AH Events) for you... Unless one of the CM's can come and post it  here for you or PM the procedure/process to you before I can get to it....

iirc, there is a process of starting/stopping logs to a file.... I just need my checklist to refresh my memory.....of in what order of procedure/process of doing them....

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 03:24:35 PM »
Are you wanting to make it to where it's an automated feature for offline missions or as you mentioned earlier in your opening post, about "Alt-tabbing" out of AH to another separate add-on designed feature ....?? "Campaign Manager"

I will try to get some time and go pull up my CM checklist of how to do the logs (start logs / stop logs / upload logs to AH Events) for you... Unless one of the CM's can come and post it  here for you or PM the procedure/process to you before I can get to it....

iirc, there is a process of starting/stopping logs to a file.... I just need my checklist to refresh my memory.....of in what order of procedure/process of doing them....

TC

Don't bother.  It was probably just a dumb idea.  Sometimes my imagination gets the better of me. 

Chalk it up to caffeine toxicity. ;)

[edit since you took the time to respond, I'll at least explain what I was thinking about...]

I was thinking of writing a fun project to learn Unity better.  It was going to be a separate program that you ran side by side with AH and you alt-tab between them as needed.

In the campaign manager you would pick a genre/ AO like "WWI/Western Front" or "WWII/Guadalcanal" and then create a persona to track a career progression.

The campaign manager has compressed archives of a set of offline missions and the logic of a decision tree so based off the outcome of each mission, it branches to the appropriate next mission based on success or failure. 

The campaign manager would then decompress the appropriate mission files and copy them over the the appropriate AH folders and prompts the players to go play the mission.

The player alt-tabs back over, it always overwrites the same mission so it is always the same local mission, just with different contents each time. 

When the player finished, alt-tab back to the campaign manager and it would parse the log file and update the tracked career stats and progress the mission path to the appropriate branch based on victory or defeat.   Promotions and medals might be awarded.  If the player died, that persona is closed, and they start a new one.

Like I said, too much coffee today. ;)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:36:06 PM by CptTrips »