Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 60535 times)

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #720 on: February 17, 2020, 04:26:25 PM »

@toasted What was cool about the larger numbers is it made for more variance of game play. There would usually be at least one very large fight and that was fine for people that liked that, but there were always many more smaller fights along all the fronts. Now with so few on at least when I'm on I'm lucky to find any fight at all let alone multiples. Sad really.

exactly. one of the main draws aces high has to me over other games is the large amount of varied action. when you lose that there is no reason to choose it over any other sim on the market.

during peak hours where there is 150 people battling it out, it is mostly good fights all around. and if you get tired of one there are others.
off peak is a bit different. there are times i would like to play , but dont because i get frustrated at the lack of action.

just an observation.

doesnt help getting new players.

though i think there might be more luck in gaining totally new players vs hijacking the il-2 crowd. unless you can offer something compelling most of them will be stuck in there ways already and unwilling to change,.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #721 on: February 17, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
obviously you can only fight a couple at a time.
i think why they want more people is for more and varied action.

and because off peak when there are only 50 or so total players on there is no action.

the 700 people are not expecting to fight at the same base.
the maps are big, when you spread 700 people over them it leads to great action everywhere, and lots of choices.

when you have 50 over the same number of bases it becomes the exact same fight over and over again , if you can even find a fight to begin with.

i for one do not want to fight the same 25 people over and over.

but obviously while some of us would think it great fun, we are not advocating the 700 person furball.

EXACTLY! More variety of play. With the larger number you could have a CV battle going, a base take, a GV spawn camp, and two defensive fights all at the same time! That is what the numbers did for you and why so many people complain about the low numbers where we get to fight nobody and watch the other two teams fight it out on the other side of the map.

There has always been a certain density on the map when the game seems to get going and the action is good. We rarely get to that density any more these days.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #722 on: February 17, 2020, 04:36:40 PM »
though i think there might be more luck in gaining totally new players vs hijacking the il-2 crowd. unless you can offer something compelling most of them will be stuck in there ways already and unwilling to change,.

There is a lot of that going around.  ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #723 on: February 17, 2020, 05:48:43 PM »
As opposed to our pilots who make a pass and then run to the ack?   ;)

My point isn't to claim IL2 is better.  The question I am asking is there another significant gaming demographic that is a closer fit?  Is there another population of gamers we should have an easier time converting?  If we can't convert them, are our odds better with Fortnite players? 

What are we missing that is failing to seduce IL2 players from coming on over.  I think that is probably our best target market.

Why would they want to switch? For one thing graphics. For another subscription. To bring them over if say we'd need something significantly better than what they've got. All we have is an open arena and that can be seen either as a bonus or detriment. Also there just aren't that many people that play it online as a percentage.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #724 on: February 19, 2020, 09:44:48 PM »
Well speaking as someone who hasn't played in years and never really comes here but maybe twice a year.

I never understood the crash of players after an upgrade I thought was very good. It took a bit more computer power but not that much more and the graphics quality was worth the little extra steam needed.

Paying players have a right to ride what they want but I think all the emphasis on GV'ing, the new vehicles, while cool kind of crashed the flight game. To much GV'ing, on maps to big, so separate from the flight game, and all that camping, was part of what caused an exodus. It was just stale. Nothing was worse then logging on at prime time and seeing a huge map with only a few minor air skirmishes. Everyone was in GVs.

CVs should have been protected for 15 mins to 1/2 hour after action started with them. Maybe a color change or something when the 1/2 hour was up and they were now fair game. Its gameish but it would have provided more of the old time furballs.

Maps? The maps were to big for the numbers. How often had it needed saying? It got to the point where players were hoping Uterus would come up. Some of the smaller maps I'd just never see.

There was a terrific training map. Why would you remove that? The training corps was the best in the business at one time. I still remember Ghost sitting in his Jap fighter all night helping the noobs. The bomber war kind of disintegrated. We were an older bunch and even if they didn't all die when you get old I can tell you from personal experience you lose interest in gaming.

During the free fall most of the Euro players left. Nothing was happening during their game times and a lot of them were very good. Losing the bomber hunters didn't help the bomber war.

Actually checking the K/D stats it looks better then i thought it would. The game is holding close to 200,000 in melee a month. The K/Ds seem to be drifting back to the air game, at least it seems to me.

I was lucky to be in both this game and WWllOL at their heights. Both are good memories.

Anyway good luck and good luck with the game. I still see a lot of names of players who are very skilled left.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #725 on: February 20, 2020, 01:59:48 AM »
Well speaking as someone who hasn't played in years and never really comes here but maybe twice a year.

I never understood the crash of players after an upgrade I thought was very good. It took a bit more computer power but not that much more and the graphics quality was worth the little extra steam needed.

Paying players have a right to ride what they want but I think all the emphasis on GV'ing, the new vehicles, while cool kind of crashed the flight game. To much GV'ing, on maps to big, so separate from the flight game, and all that camping, was part of what caused an exodus. It was just stale. Nothing was worse then logging on at prime time and seeing a huge map with only a few minor air skirmishes. Everyone was in GVs.

CVs should have been protected for 15 mins to 1/2 hour after action started with them. Maybe a color change or something when the 1/2 hour was up and they were now fair game. Its gameish but it would have provided more of the old time furballs.

Maps? The maps were to big for the numbers. How often had it needed saying? It got to the point where players were hoping Uterus would come up. Some of the smaller maps I'd just never see.

There was a terrific training map. Why would you remove that? The training corps was the best in the business at one time. I still remember Ghost sitting in his Jap fighter all night helping the noobs. The bomber war kind of disintegrated. We were an older bunch and even if they didn't all die when you get old I can tell you from personal experience you lose interest in gaming.

During the free fall most of the Euro players left. Nothing was happening during their game times and a lot of them were very good. Losing the bomber hunters didn't help the bomber war.

Actually checking the K/D stats it looks better then i thought it would. The game is holding close to 200,000 in melee a month. The K/Ds seem to be drifting back to the air game, at least it seems to me.

I was lucky to be in both this game and WWllOL at their heights. Both are good memories.

Anyway good luck and good luck with the game. I still see a lot of names of players who are very skilled left.

Good to see you.... stop by again on your next loop around the world.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #726 on: February 20, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »

There NEVER has been a player crash do to the upgrade or any other event.

HiTech

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #727 on: February 20, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
Thanks Shuffler.

And I seem to remember a lot of players saying they couldn't play the way they wanted to and were going to quit because of a more graphics intensive release, which wasn't that more intensive. They just had very old computers. Remember? The upgrade I gushed over?

Crash or dribble? Whats it matter? The game seems to be holding its own so its all good.

Hitech did you ever think it was you that drove a lot of people away with how you run the game? I don't know you so don't take it personal but I think you have made some poor decisions. My memories of the actual players are that they were/are very good people and quite skilled.

I hope the game grows and prospers. The players deserve it so none of this is sour grapes. From the beginning Ive said the software is the best written flight software out there and I was a big fan of the graphics upgrades.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #728 on: February 20, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »
I would imagine that for every person who left because their 2006 Toaster couldn't run it, there was someone new who was excited about the graphics update. This game really stands on its own pedestal when it comes to the flexibility in what kind of system you need to play.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #729 on: February 20, 2020, 03:02:49 PM »
And I seem to remember a lot of players saying they couldn't play the way they wanted to and were going to quit because of a more graphics intensive release, which wasn't that more intensive. They just had very old computers. Remember? The upgrade I gushed over?
People stating that they are going to quit and people quitting are not the same thing.

Crash or dribble? Whats it matter? The game seems to be holding its own so its all good.

A hell of a lot.

Hitech did you ever think it was you that drove a lot of people away with how you run the game? I don't know you so don't take it personal but I think you have made some poor decisions. My memories of the actual players are that they were/are very good people and quite skilled.
How can I not take a line like this personal. You do realize that this game would not exist if it was not for the way I run it?

The players deserve it so none of this is sour grapes.

I don't believe you.

HiTech

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #730 on: February 21, 2020, 03:29:02 AM »
How can I not take a line like this personal. You do realize that this game would not exist if it was not for the way I run it?
HiTech

HiTech, this is in no way personal and in all faith I mean that.

I could easily reverse your statement, some would say fix your statement.

You do realize that this game would be much better if it was not for the way I run it?

You are 1 man.  You cannot possibly know everything about everything.  You will and you do make mistakes, we all do.  You have the best WW2 fighter combat game in the market.  Your adoption of VR is way ahead of anyone else.  But you are missing the mark.  People are coming and not staying, why is that?  I know you are searching for the answer.  We have tried telling you why but you are HiTech and for some reason you know best and when we challenge you it is an issue.  That is not being personal sir, that is what we see and think.  Let me give you 1 small example.

Your default FOV.  I have NEVER met anyone in game that uses it.  It is pretty much unplayable other than in a pure 1 on 1 and even then it is not as good as something like 103 or 105.  You want to know why new guys do not stay.  Have a look at what your player base is telling you.  To a man they are telling you that 90 is not good.  Why not change the default to 100?

Yeah, I know you are going to throw x,y,x reasons at me but sir, respectfully, you are providing a game and when ALL the players in the game adjust FOV as soon as they know about it.  If EVERY player changes it, maybe, just maybe it needs to be changed globally or would you prefer your new players to struggle and leave before they understand it can be changed?

Offline RAG

• Zinc Member
« Reply #731 on: February 21, 2020, 05:13:55 AM »
Couldn't agree more regarding the FOV and was thinking of starting a post about it myself till i saw this.  When i first flew i didnt realise you could change it and when i did manage to change it I realised at what a disadvantage i had been in dogfights.  For a newb who was already at a disadvantage in every way, i needed everything possible to help me - even if in a small way.  Default FOV being changed could really help newbs.
Always puzzled me why the default was was like an old granny in her Nissan Micra with her nose squashed on the windscreen.

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #732 on: February 21, 2020, 08:10:22 AM »
Just get a VR headset.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #733 on: February 21, 2020, 09:09:29 AM »
You know, Hitech, if you just went ahead and got that office job with a red-stapler, you'd only have one boss instead of 200.   ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #734 on: February 21, 2020, 09:17:40 AM »

You do realize that this game would be much better if it was not for the way I run it?

You can't reverse it,unless you think nothing is better then what AH is now, because the game would not exist if I did not sit down one day at a blank computer screen and start creating it.

You are 1 man.  You cannot possibly know everything about everything.

You will and you do make mistakes, we all do. 
Wow such a profound statement. The only response that comes to mind is well duhhhh.
I have created an entire new game last year wanting to try out some ideas, and even for free it failed miserably.

But you are missing the mark.  People are coming and not staying, why is that?  I know you are searching for the answer.  We have tried telling you why but you are HiTech and for some reason you know best and when we challenge you it is an issue.  That is not being personal sir, that is what we see and think.  Let me give you 1 small example.

I listen to all the suggestions, whines. squeakes, good ideas, and selfish requests, but only I can make the choices if anything any player post is good or bad, will be or won't be implemented or changed. What I just stated is not arrogance it is simply the way the world works. Some one needs to make the choices, and I'm the one responsible to do so. But players like you will always like some things and not like others. They will only squeak about the few things they don't like and not realize the 1000's of things they do like all were choices made by the same guy.

Your default FOV.  I have NEVER met anyone in game that uses it.  It is pretty much unplayable other than in a pure 1 on 1 and even then it is not as good as something like 103 or 105.  You want to know why new guys do not stay.  Have a look at what your player base is telling you.  To a man they are telling you that 90 is not good.  Why not change the default to 100?

Yeah, I know you are going to throw x,y,x reasons at me but sir, respectfully, you are providing a game and when ALL the players in the game adjust FOV as soon as they know about it.  If EVERY player changes it, maybe, just maybe it needs to be changed globally or would you prefer your new players to struggle and leave before they understand it can be changed

So why do you believe your reasons are better then my x,y,x when it appears you just wish to shrug my reasons off before even knowing what they are?
And why did I make it much simpler to change the FOV then in a previous version where no you can now change it while in flight?  Did you now you can now change FOV in 2 different places?

Many times I feel that players like yourself who no longer have the fun and excitement playing AH that they once did. That they really want that fun and excitement back.
They then blame me for their loss.

I know the feeling of loss of love of a game. There have been games that I played intensely for a year or more, suddenly 1 things changes and I blame it for not having fun so I quit. But in reality I had just had enough of the game and nothing new to explore. Even though I tried later I could not rekindle the excitement I originally felt about the games. It was not the games fault because if you look at it threw a new persons eyes it was just the same as when I had started playing them.

HiTech