Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 60589 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #735 on: February 21, 2020, 09:18:27 AM »
You know, Hitech, if you just went ahead and got that office job with a red-stapler, you'd only have one boss instead of 200.   ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

But it's my stapler.

HiTech

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #736 on: February 21, 2020, 09:20:53 AM »
Just get a VR headset.
All headsets are not created equal insofar as actual FOV. For example the newer Pimax has between 120 and 170+ FOV available depending on the settings where my RiftS has only 90. But I agree it's totally different viewing the virtual world in VR vs a monitor. No comparison.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #737 on: February 21, 2020, 10:02:56 AM »
Meh. Game's fine.

Well, except for the Spanish Civil War not working.  :old:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #738 on: February 21, 2020, 10:39:45 AM »
Meh. Game's fine.

Well, except for the Spanish Civil War not working.  :old:

:rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #739 on: February 21, 2020, 05:51:21 PM »

So why do you believe your reasons are better then my x,y,x when it appears you just wish to shrug my reasons off before even knowing what they are?
And why did I make it much simpler to change the FOV then in a previous version where no you can now change it while in flight?  Did you now you can now change FOV in 2 different places?
I do not think my reasons are better than your x,y,z.  I am telling you that when no player uses the default then maybe it is time to change the default.  Yes, I know you implemented the ability to change FOV on the fly, that was a very good change as before it was hidden away in the start up screen.  I also accept that people will change it to what they want at some stage and their preferences will be different.  However, from talking to others through the years they are usually in the range of 100 to 106 for the majority of players.  Changing the default to be in that range will do nothing for the existing players, they know how to adjust the setting.  It will however, IMO, help your new players.

Many times I feel that players like yourself who no longer have the fun and excitement playing AH that they once did. That they really want that fun and excitement back.
They then blame me for their loss.

I don't blame you.  I just don't agree with some of your choices.  Some of those choices impacted the fun that I have in game and when it reached a tipping point I left.  I still have passion for the game just not for the way it is played now.  I accept that is driven by the players however as the creator you can, in turn, drive player behaviour through the implementation of game features.  You can compress the fight into smaller areas through map creation, you can level the field through access or denial to planes, you can create choke points......you can do pretty much anything to influence gameplay.

You prefer the open sandbox and I respect that however such a large open sandbox with a population that cannot fill it creates a different mentality and gameplay than a sandbox crammed with players.

For me the game was always about WW2 fighter combat.  The current iteration of the game coupled with player preferences for hit and run tactics are what makes it not fun for me.  The issues have been talked about ad infinitum and I do not see anything changing but I will keep poking my head in to check.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #740 on: February 21, 2020, 09:19:26 PM »
I agree with FOV start. Not sure why it was changed to begin with, but I thought it was terrible to make it that close. Why not show off that great cockpit? It's one thing I hated about the battlefield 4 jets. Sitting 3 inches from the aimer ain't good for SA. I don't really know why it would be such a burden just to change it back to the AH2 way which was perfectly fine.

If you look at the updates posted on the AH front page. They look non exciting and many people don't have a single clue what those really did. Hitech often hides the best part of the game updates (new map announcements and Skins) from the main page. Doesn't change or update the main page and is very boring. Special events are hidden from marketing and the main page...

One thing I really liked that HItech did was restructure the bases to make the FHs harder to kill. This was a great decision.

IMO, there just isn't enough maps and many are really old and big. The maps haven't geared toward today's players where flying 5- 7 minutes to action is worth it. The Smaller maps that have been implemented have really kept the fights going longer and keep more people in the game later at night. Maps that stay up for 4-5 days need to go. It's very stale. There needs to be so many more that get flipped faster. 2 days or its over.

You do have to be patient in AH. The farther the bases the more it makes it not worth it to roll if the fight loses steam. Big fight killer. People will log off if they have to fly too far for a couple of guys late at night. 

The perception of the MA hasn't greatly improved. New planes have dominated the arena. The the top 5 planes on the kills list are a huge reason for the "run n gang" type of flying you see today. Those planes should all have small perks like the tanks do. Fighting 6 yak3s every sortie gets old.

The match play is dead. The DA was killed. No one wants to learn how to 1v1 or actually be skilled. BnZ is the new "cool" way to fly (noobs). No one wants to die because it takes 5-7 minutes to get to some action. They all fly noob planes and gang because that's what it takes to get to the fight quickly and escape the fight quickly. They don't know how to fight so they hit X. They don't know how to get kills so they pick easy cheapie and double and quadruple any plane no matter if their friendly already has the advantage. Look at the top5 fighter kills and you will see the reason for such poor fights in AH that are different than people remember.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:23:30 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #741 on: February 23, 2020, 09:48:33 AM »
Just curious.. why was FOV changed in AH3?

And AFAIK FOV does not affect VR? Has anyone tried AH with these Pimax goggles?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #742 on: February 23, 2020, 10:52:12 AM »
A smaller Field of View makes the enemy planes bigger on your monitor. The best FOV varies depending on your monitor size and how close you sit. The other consideration is situational awareness. Do you want to see more in one view at the cost of distorted perspective?

The default settings in AH3 are for a single monitor, likely 20-24". VR is like sitting close to a very big monitor so the natural FOV can currently be around 110.

The natural FOV gives you normal perspective. You can figure out the natural FOV from the width of your monitor and the distance you sit from it.

With VR the FOV is set to the natural FOV based on the screen size and distance from your eyes, this gives the proper normal perspective which may be why people find shooting becomes easier. 

Adjusting VR to a wider unnatural perspective seems like a bad idea. The screen size and position determines the FOV that gives you normal perspective. Anything else is distorted. You would want to adjust FOV to correct distortion, for people who aren't standard sizes, not cause distortion.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #743 on: February 23, 2020, 11:01:39 AM »
I use a 24inch monitor.. ive used much smaller in the earlier days of this game.  Field of view has been 106 continuously.

I recommend 106 to anyone I help with video settings.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #744 on: February 23, 2020, 11:40:02 AM »
Yeah before I switched to vr I changed it from the 90 deg to 110. I found the 90 deg fov to be too small.. like looking thru a soda straw

I assumed the FoV in VR is set to be 1:1 with the real world
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:41:41 AM by atlau »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #745 on: February 24, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »
A once a week 5x5 terrain in the MA might be a good thing Hitech. Probably need 3 becasue of how fast a single one can be won during 24 hours. The only real problem, in the worst case scenario, everyone will be at 30k on the edges hoping everyone else will fly lower and let themselves be picked. Best case scenario, no one will get above 12k and furballs will screw the pooch for bombers.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #746 on: February 24, 2020, 01:43:27 PM »
If I remember right at the time going over to AHIII he was matching the default in something else to make the transition easier.  First thing I did was change it to 103.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #747 on: February 24, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
A once a week 5x5 terrain in the MA might be a good thing Hitech. Probably need 3 becasue of how fast a single one can be won during 24 hours. The only real problem, in the worst case scenario, everyone will be at 30k on the edges hoping everyone else will fly lower and let themselves be picked. Best case scenario, no one will get above 12k and furballs will screw the pooch for bombers.

If there was anyway these maps could be implemented during the off hours and then switch back to the main maps. That would be pretty cool.

For example the current map times out at 3am Est for a 5x5 map, then comes back on at 9am est. This gives 6 hours on a small map for the off hours times with the lowest #s.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #748 on: February 24, 2020, 03:39:50 PM »
If there was anyway these maps could be implemented during the off hours and then switch back to the main maps. That would be pretty cool.

For example the current map times out at 3am Est for a 5x5 map, then comes back on at 9am est. This gives 6 hours on a small map for the off hours times with the lowest #s.

You may wish to think what would happen during the daily switch.

HiTech

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #749 on: February 24, 2020, 09:15:26 PM »
But it's my stapler.

HiTech

Let the man keep his stapler.  He has done some wonderful things with that stapler.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com