Author Topic: Discord server.  (Read 6087 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Discord server.
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2019, 08:58:00 AM »
Even our Events FB page tells me how many people the post reached and who interacted with it, etc.

At least the use of social media, in and of itself, is free advertising. We have people who post 30 times a day about nonsense on this forum. Take two of those posts and have them post information on a Twitter or Facebook page about the game in some fashion...now you have publicity.

Many do not use twitter or facebook though.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2019, 09:27:45 AM »
Many do not use twitter or facebook though.

I know you wont believe this but the number of people who have internet and DONT do facebook and/or twitter is very small. I'd be surprised if it was 20%. So we are looking at better than 50% of the population of the world that has internet that could see something on FB or Twitter if it was posted and pushed.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »
I know you wont believe this but the number of people who have internet and DONT do facebook and/or twitter is very small. I'd be surprised if it was 20%. So we are looking at better than 50% of the population of the world that has internet that could see something on FB or Twitter if it was posted and pushed.
You are correct.
Data from GlobalWebIndex shows that 98 percent of internet users in the world’s top economies visited a social media platform in the past month, but just 83 percent actively engaged with – or contributed to – those platforms.
Based on a broad survey of internet users aged 16-64.

In 2019/2020 I think it is safe to say people who do not use a social media platform of some kind are the minority.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2019, 10:02:52 AM »
I'm sure that it's impossible for most of the people using FB and twitter to see most of the content posted on FB and twitter simply due to the volume.

Just posting on your personal FB page or twitter account is like shouting to the wind if you don't have a substantial following.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
Another part of the so-called free experience for the user. Just your information is sold.

You are wrong.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2019, 11:10:56 AM »
Just posting on your personal FB page or twitter account is like shouting to the wind if you don't have a substantial following.

While that's true, there is one significant difference. Once you have visited a normal web site that's it. Once you have visited something and possibly liked on Facebook you are automatically flooded with updates.

I think it's a conspiracy of browser vendors not to support rss/atom for that purpose. It could nicely create a non-fb curated time line locally. Maybe with webpush, but it seems more complicated, needlessly for that use-case.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2019, 11:51:22 AM »
Post the actual numbers.

I am a redneck Geek and know a lot of folks who are the same. Very few use either.

I find it funny that they are even called "social" media.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »
You are wrong.

That is how they make their money. The users are the actual product.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2019, 01:45:40 PM »
Post the actual numbers.

I am a redneck Geek and know a lot of folks who are the same. Very few use either.

There are a few other people in the world, and they probably utilize various socials.

I already posted some numbers above, read:
You are correct.Based on a broad survey of internet users aged 16-64.
"Data from GlobalWebIndex shows that 98 percent of internet users in the world’s top economies visited a social media platform in the past month, but just 83 percent actively engaged with – or contributed to – those platforms."

Social by definition is human interactions with other individuals or groups, it is pretty simple really.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:49:35 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2019, 01:52:27 PM »
That is how they make their money. The users are the actual product.

You are wrong.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2019, 01:52:39 PM »
It is actually not difficult at all, it can be expensive though, depending on how much the module will cost.  Pretty much all CRMs have, for an additional cost, modules that allow companies to track their product through social media.

For example, the CRM we use at work for our online games allow us to track in real time exactly what you think is difficult.  It also allows to track a multitude of other data through social media.

I get that.  I had some experience with data analytics.  I used to work on call center software that could transcribe and analyze topic trends and alert phrases.  It could even detect voice stress and separate out calls of high emotion for manual review by management. LoL.

I'm talking about the indirect effects on sales of maintaining an active social media presence over a long period of time.  It can seem hard to justify when you are busy and unless there is a direct ad or link or promo code, it can be hard to judge the ROI.

For instance I wash searching on youtube for WWII combat flight stuff and ran into a trailer from 1C Games for IL2:BOS and was impressed.  I didn't act on it then but a couple weeks later I was in Steam and wanted to clear out money in my Steam Wallet and thought hey, that IL2 sim might be fun to play offline campaign in between AH Scenarios.  Sale.
How would they have possibly known their youtube video eventually lead to a sale?  What if it had been a FB or twitter post?  Hard to prove direct efficacy.

You could make some reasoned guesses.  The effect might not be direct or immediate, but maybe with long continued effort could start paying off. Surely it increases your odds to some extent.  You are expanding your surface area so new parts of the market might discover your product.  If you could enable community to help with that load, it might take some organizing and work, but would probably be a lot cheaper than buying national market TV commercials.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »
Post the actual numbers.

Im not going to waste time posting numbers for you, as I said "I know your not going to believe me...".

To you and others like you that are NOT part of social media it doesnt seem like much, or anything usefull, but those of us who do use it we can see how big a thing it really is. EVERYTHING is tied to social media one way or another. Look at adds, web sites, signs at store and such and you will see signs with the FB, Twitter and such logo pointing their "presents" on those social media outlets.

For Aces High, or any page really to become "relevant" it MUST become active, VERY active. The AH pages should have posts every few minutes for 12-16 hours a day. Other people will post to interact much like these message boards, good and bad, which will generate more posts. As the post counts climb the search probes that FB Twitter, even Google use to hunt for info across the web will pick up the activity on the AH pages and start "suggesting" that info in their searches.

HTC had someone to do social media for AH. She didnt last long, never heard why she left. It certainly need someone to push this full time to make it help.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2019, 04:17:03 PM »
There are a few other people in the world, and they probably utilize various socials.

I already posted some numbers above, read:
Social by definition is human interactions with other individuals or groups, it is pretty simple really.

Some links go to so called social sites. Does not mean folks use them. That is flawed terribly.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2019, 04:24:10 PM »
Some links go to so called social sites. Does not mean folks use them. That is flawed terribly.
Yes - you are right. The majority of the world does not use social media. We are just like you and your circle of friends.

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »
Yes - you are right. The majority of the world does not use social media. We are just like you and your circle of friends.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.