Author Topic: Discord server.  (Read 6109 times)

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
Discord server.
« on: December 25, 2019, 11:29:51 AM »
I know this won't magically fix anything but I think its worth making an official HTC discord server.

It should be focused on general chatting and socializing for enthusiasts of flight sims/airplanes/etc and not just the game itself: I think this is the best approach. I have publically stated that we should stop thinking of ideas to fix AH and let it die basically but this would bring the community together to preserve the connections we have made over the years and preserve the social aspect even after the game is gone.

Discord is reliable and very functional as well as it can be used in a browser or a mobile app. It would also allow HTC to get closer to their potential customers/customers and get more feedback.

I know there is an unofficial one out there but I hope those can maybe help HT out to set one up.

It may even be possible to assimilate other communities into this one as well.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Discord server.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »
Your assumptions are that AH3 will die unless 'we' fix it and HTC is out of touch with their customers.

Given the general quality of ideas presented and the fact that Hitech reads the forum, plays in the game, and talks to players on the phone and in emails makes me think your assumptions are not supported.

One thing to keep in mind is that nobody knows why so many people DL the game but don't stay, nobody knows why the population is smaller, and nobody knows what to do about it.

People have ideas but anyone pretending to know is kidding themselves.

If you have an idea post it, it may be a good idea. A lot of good ideas have added to the game.

It's a little early for a eulogy. AH2 numbers declined along with the economy.  The economy is better now.

Hitech is always working to improve the game. Turn down the drama and have fun playing with your friends.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 12:00:55 PM »
Your assumptions are that AH3 will die unless 'we' fix it and HTC is out of touch with their customers.

Given the general quality of ideas presented and the fact that Hitech reads the forum, plays in the game, and talks to players on the phone and in emails makes me think your assumptions are not supported.

One thing to keep in mind is that nobody knows why so many people DL the game but don't stay, nobody knows why the population is smaller, and nobody knows what to do about it.

People have ideas but anyone pretending to know is kidding themselves.

If you have an idea post it, it may be a good idea. A lot of good ideas have added to the game.

It's a little early for a eulogy. AH2 numbers declined along with the economy.  The economy is better now.

Hitech is always working to improve the game. Turn down the drama and have fun playing with your friends.

So do you think a Discord server would be a bad idea?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 12:08:37 PM »
ROTFLMAO

:noid
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 12:32:54 PM »
So do you think a Discord server would be a bad idea?

Not a bad idea, just not a good idea.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 03:51:56 PM »
Not a bad idea, just not a good idea.

I think it's an excellent idea. When I ran the MPA association server. The usage of the MPA went way up. And this was an unofficial server. The server kinda died because of my own absence from AH. An official server would generate more traffic than my forum post and a much healthier usage.

I think Skuzzy said they where not interested in hosting there own. But I am bad at quoting, I learned this on this very forum.

Dutch
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 04:29:11 PM »
How is an official discord server be different than the comms we have now?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 04:30:05 PM »

You don't have to be in game to use it.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 04:31:37 PM »
You don't have to be in game to use it.

OK so now you have a bb but with voice.

semp

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »
OK so now you have a bb but with voice.

And text chat. And the possibility of additional services (for example distributing of files like maps)
So that's quite different from a BBS system. Just as the ingame chat ain't no BBS either.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 04:38:44 PM »

semp

The thing about discord is it has a more social aspect to it.  It's what the younger generation use and AH needs new players.

Things like video and pictures can be easily shared and help / advice be given in one place.  Make a channel for each arena and each team and treat it as vox 101 except it has the additional features.     
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 05:01:33 PM »
I understand what discord is an does, but people use it in other games due to the limits of comms in other games. I used it in world of tanks and my squad uses it for other games.  But the difference between an official and unofficial discord channel is just a name.  Discord also has limitations.  For example I posted a screen shot of some funny crap we were talking about on country, file was to big, had to crop it. The same screen shot would have fit in the bb, Facebook, or our own pig website. 

So what is the advantage over what the in-game comms plus the bb provides? 

semp

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »
I understand what discord is an does, but people use it in other games due to the limits of comms in other games. I used it in world of tanks and my squad uses it for other games.  But the difference between an official and unofficial discord channel is just a name.  Discord also has limitations.  For example I posted a screen shot of some funny crap we were talking about on country, file was to big, had to crop it. The same screen shot would have fit in the bb, Facebook, or our own pig website. 

So what is the advantage over what the in-game comms plus the bb provides? 

semp
WoT has in-game voice yet you still use Discord...so Discord must be doing something right. :)

I don't know of an active game at this point that doesn't have at least a semi-active Discord be it 'official' or 'unofficial'.

There might not be a specific advantage that Discord has over a BBS in terms of chat capability, but there is no reason why it would not be a good resource, especially for people who may be more active on Discord than on a forum. The same reason why I think it would be great to have an active subreddit, plus in general things like Discord or reddit can reach farther and tap into untapped markets.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 05:23:33 PM »
HTC has to check two forums already. Wouldn't an official server require spending more time on unproductive work?

Curious about the business model, what does Discord get out of it?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 05:30:34 PM »
HTC has to check two forums already. Wouldn't an official server require spending more time on unproductive work?

Yes, that's why I don't see any 'official' one coming.