Author Topic: Discord server.  (Read 6102 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Discord server.
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2019, 12:09:21 PM »
Put the MPA association discord on the front page and I change it into an all round AH discord. Heck I will even mange the Discord.

If discord ever wants to make money we just delete it. I don't see what the fuss is about. #freeserviceswecantakeadvantgeoff

Dunno, people not liking change or new things I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:11:25 PM by Spikes »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »

Straw man. Nobody is saying that.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2019, 12:17:43 PM »

There are people so riddled with negativity, like a cancer, that their first knee jerk reaction to anything is "Nope.  It will never work.  Bad idea.  It's not going to happen.  Stop talking about it."

And I've also noticed it is usually the ones who have never risked putting up an idea of their own, that are the absolute experts on why everyone elses ideas won't work.   

Don't let it get you down.  ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2019, 12:41:05 PM »

There are people so riddled with negativity, like a cancer, that their first knee jerk reaction to anything is "Nope.  It will never work.  Bad idea.  It's not going to happen.  Stop talking about it."

And I've also noticed it is usually the ones who have never risked putting up an idea of their own, that are the absolute experts on why everyone elses ideas won't work.   

Don't let it get you down.  ;)

Who is this terrible man of straw? Burn the witch!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2019, 12:41:15 PM »
Straw man. Nobody is saying that.
Well, I'm still waiting on some reasons as to why it would not be beneficial for the game. :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
Well, I'm still waiting on some reasons as to why it would not be beneficial for the game. :)

I never said that.    :old:

I don't think it's a good cost/benefit idea for HTC. For you it's a fine idea to help the game.  :aok

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2019, 01:10:26 PM »

What dies it add? Voice chat without being in the game? Not really that useful.

Alternative suggestion: Publish the current state of the melee-arean map on the website, in real-time. Creates a real connection to the game without having to be online.

I don't like the idea of using 1 personal email adress to sign up for different discord sites. It creates too much metadata. Alternative is using different throw-away adresses, and running separate browser instances for each. Don't like.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »
I never said that.    :old:

I don't think it's a good cost/benefit idea for HTC. For you it's a fine idea to help the game.  :aok

Yes, Free costs way too much.

What dies it add? Voice chat without being in the game? Not really that useful.

Alternative suggestion: Publish the current state of the melee-arean map on the website, in real-time. Creates a real connection to the game without having to be online.

I don't like the idea of using 1 personal email adress to sign up for different discord sites. It creates too much metadata. Alternative is using different throw-away adresses, and running separate browser instances for each. Don't like.

It creates a new realm or community. Just like not everyone flies in the MA but they fly in Events, not everyone visits a game's forum whereas they might visit a game's subreddit. Often times games have staff monitor a game's subreddit if that community is very active, even though the actual moderation is done by community members. Discord would be no different.

I understand personal reasons for not wanting to use a product like this, but there are 250 million people who do use it so they must be doing something right.

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2019, 01:33:06 PM »
It creates a new realm or community.

The more non-proprietary surface area you have, the more discoverability you have.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2019, 03:02:40 PM »

Why would it be beneficial to the game is the question.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
Why would it be beneficial to the game is the question.....
Myself and others have already listed multiple reasons why.

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2019, 03:13:49 PM »
Yes, Free costs way too much.

It creates a new realm or community. Just like not everyone flies in the MA but they fly in Events, not everyone visits a game's forum whereas they might visit a game's subreddit. Often times games have staff monitor a game's subreddit if that community is very active, even though the actual moderation is done by community members. Discord would be no different.

I understand personal reasons for not wanting to use a product like this, but there are 250 million people who do use it so they must be doing something right.

I personally have no problem with it but if it's official then HTC has to monitor it on some level. If you think time is free...

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »

Hitech is always working to improve the game.

Is that really true?  I understand that the software has been improved, but has the game improved?  I mean as far as the mechanics of game play, it's pretty much the same as it was 20 years ago.  As far as I can tell, no new targets have been added, the road system provides no chock points or allows for conflict at say bridge or river crossings,  in fact if I remember correctly one could limit the amount fuel available to the enemy by destroying fuel depots.   That's not happening anymore.  Just kill the town put 10 troops in the map room. Like it's always been. How about adding a new type of troop , Engineers to rebuild a destroyed airfield, or town, along with supplies to rebuild you needed Engineering troops to use those supplies.  How about artillery batteries to provide support for both offensive and defensive actions.  But alas, we didn't see that type of change during the hay day of Aces High, when it had an excess of customers and I'm guessing cash, I doubt that HTC is willing to make the kind of investment  necessary to add actual game changes at this point in the financial game. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »
Is that really true?  ...

Yes. You are quibbling about what constitutes improvement by focusing on your preferences for changes.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
I personally have no problem with it but if it's official then HTC has to monitor it on some level. If you think time is free...

Discord text channels are incredibly easy to keep track of and moderate.  Right click and delete.  The mobile version is also pretty functional even for admins/owners.  HTC already employs community mods in game, so finding trustworthy folks to help keep it within the guardrails isn't a bridge too far, imo.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-