Author Topic: Selecting starting base and waypoints  (Read 2453 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Selecting starting base and waypoints
« on: January 08, 2020, 12:50:11 AM »
How do we select a starting base and how on earth do you control the waypoints?
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Selecting starting base and waypoints
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 12:25:37 PM »
How do we select a starting base and how on earth do you control the waypoints?

You don't "select" a base.  You place the initial waypoints on the runway/taxiway of the base you want to start at.  Zoom WAY in and click show terrain to see the field.

I'm not sure what you meant by "control" waypoints.  You place waypoints.  You can right click on the route tree item and select "Move" waypoints.  You add segments to waypoints to specify behavior.    Note: remember there is a bug in some states it doesn't show your changes to a waypoint until you force a refresh of the view.  I hit 'W' and 'S' to wiggle the view and force an update.  LoL.  It's muscle memory at this point.  I don't even think about it.

If you haven't already, be sure and watch those BBoson youtube vids I linked.  They will go a long way to getting you over the initial hump.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »
Bozon's tutorials are good. Setting up the basic mission from scratch starts at part 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »
I dont see a link and Bboson youtube shows nothing

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 11:46:05 PM »
Here is a video of my problem.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 09:48:12 AM »
Here is a video of my problem.

You are working in an angled view it looks like.  It works a lot better to be orthogonal to the surface with placing waypoints.  Get to where you are looking straight down when placing that first point and zoom in as close as you possible can.

When you are trying to move waypoints, as I mentioned, there is a bug that is not updating the view.  Every time I move a waypoint, I press 'w' and then 's' to wiggle the view and force an update.

I forget how much pain I went threw for 8 months building WW1WF.   ;)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 10:10:43 AM »
Still getting the same effect.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »
Still getting the same effect.

Which?  placement error or not seeing move results?

Oh, also move your orthogonal view so it is directly over the point where you want to place to waypoint.  Error seems to be proportional to how far from the center of the view you click.  View not screen.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 10:24:19 AM »
Which?  placement error or not seeing move results?

Oh, also move your orthogonal view so it is directly over the point where you want to place to waypoint.  Error seems to be proportional to how far from the center of the view you click.  View not screen.

I am dead center over the area that I want to place the first waypoint and am looking straight down at it. Still can't get the waypoint where I need it and moving them still has the same effect

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »
Here is another video

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 11:05:34 AM »
Here is another video

Lol  Yeah.  I made about 200 mission files for WW1WF and I guess at some point I just started working in autopilot mode.   I do remember field ground waypoints being the worst part.  I guess I forgot just how janky it really was.

It's all coming back to me now like a bad dream.  ;)  The tricks I gave you are what I would do to get as  close as possible.  I do remember having to do a lot of moving after placement and having to use Kentucky windage, like OK, I got to move it over there to get it to end up here.   :rolleyes:

It will also vary with base location as I remember now.  I was suspecting there was an accumulated positioning error the further you were from the 0,0 point of the map.  I never got around to proving that.  I was too busy.  :D  And interesting test if you are working with a custom arena would be to place a test field at 0,0 as close to 0ft alt as you can and see if the position errors are less.   

Remember, I did talk about pain threshold.  Did you get something to bite down on?  ;)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 11:13:53 AM »
Lol  Yeah.  I made about 200 mission files for WW1WF and I guess at some point I just started working in autopilot mode.   I do remember field ground waypoints being the worst part.  I guess I forgot just how janky it really was.

It's all coming back to me now like a bad dream.  ;)  The tricks I gave you are what I would do to get as  close as possible.  I do remember having to do a lot of moving after placement and having to use Kentucky windage, like OK, I got to move it over there to get it to end up here.   :rolleyes:

It will also vary with base location as I remember now.  I was suspecting there was an accumulated positioning error the further you were from the 0,0 point of the map.  I never got around to proving that.  I was too busy.  :D  And interesting test if you are working with a custom arena would be to place a test field at 0,0 as close to 0ft alt as you can and see if the position errors are less.   

Remember, I did talk about pain threshold.  Did you get something to bite down on?  ;)

I was married once, I have a high pain thresh hold haha. I sent a video to Dale as well, not sure if it's something he might be able to fix on his end for a future update. The version the Boson used didn't seem to have this problem and I noticed there were two items removed for the version we are using (Double Click base to center over field and Shift+mouse button to zoom).

Hopefully Dale can adjust it so that the everything is based off of mouse x,y position and not world position.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 08:22:56 AM »
I created a terrain (one dot at largest brush size @ 30 ft elevation) threw 1 small airfield on it (built CB Map and built the map). Opened it in the ME and proceeded to layout waypoints without any problems except for the initial waypoint. That one got deleted as it wasn't needed. I did add 1 flight (P-51's) created a taxi seg and a take off seg, calculated distance, speed etc... built the res with no errors but when trying to fly it offline, it crashes when you try to fly it.

I am not so worried about the flying bit yet as I am just trying to figure out the way point placement stuff at the moment.

It would appear that the ME works off of the mini map and not the terrain, when I first built the test terrain I didn't have a mini map and when loaded in to the ME the terrain did not show up. It wasn't until I created the mini map that the terrain was visible in the ME.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »
I created a terrain (one dot at largest brush size @ 30 ft elevation) threw 1 small airfield on it (built CB Map and built the map). Opened it in the ME and proceeded to layout waypoints without any problems except for the initial waypoint. That one got deleted as it wasn't needed. I did add 1 flight (P-51's) created a taxi seg and a take off seg, calculated distance, speed etc... built the res with no errors but when trying to fly it offline, it crashes when you try to fly it.

I am not so worried about the flying bit yet as I am just trying to figure out the way point placement stuff at the moment.

It would appear that the ME works off of the mini map and not the terrain, when I first built the test terrain I didn't have a mini map and when loaded in to the ME the terrain did not show up. It wasn't until I created the mini map that the terrain was visible in the ME.

I've always had a minimap. Was the "show Terrain" checked?

On our crash, did you have at least one route/flt/plane for both Axis and Allied?

:salute