Author Topic: Learn Aces High 3 Video Submissions  (Read 3847 times)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Learn Aces High 3 Video Submissions
« on: January 09, 2020, 04:27:01 PM »
Thanks to Ciaphas,  :salute he has began building a website :Learn Aces High 3.  This website will be host to an organized training video regiment for new players.  The approach is taking a new player who knows nothing about the game and teach them from beginning to eventual play in the main Arenas.  This will take dozens of videos in separate categories for a comprehensive tutorial.

I am placing an open call for players to upload training videos into YouTube for a hyperlink into the website.  Each video should be a single topic explanation.  Each video should be done in a clear and calm voice.  Most videos should be 2 to 3 minutes in length with longer videos associated to more complex flight instruction (advanced videos).

Preliminary videos for right now.

1) What is Aces High?
- hitech creations website address
- describe the game briefly
- show the forum BB
- describe the associated hardware to play the game optimally (flight control stick and headset)
- how to navigate the website (longer video if needed)
- how to download the game
- how to install the game

2) How to play Offline?
- how to start the game
- how to start Offline (free play)
- how to navigate the game through the Clipboard
- how to navigate the Hangar aircraft choices
- how to select aircraft, fuel, and weapons
- how to auto launch an aircraft

3) How to adjust settings?
- how to use the Clipboard
- how to....

4) How to use the radios?
- text channels
- vox channels

5) How to land an aircraft?

6) How to rearm/refuel an aircraft?

7) How to set convergence?

8) How to calibrate bombsight?

8) How to choose terrains?

9) How to read the clipboard maps?

10) How to read the E6B?

11) How to understand the terrain map?

This is all before we want them to join the online action.  There is room for so many more training videos.  By the time they go through this, they should be very comfortable to learn the advanced parts of the game.

How to play Online?

12) What are the arenas?

13) How to switch countries?

14 ) How to join a squad?

15 ) How to start a squad?

16) What is ENY?

17) What are perkie points?

18) What are dot commands?

19)  What is ACM?

Right now, 1 through 3 are the most needed and the rest later on.  Post the links to your videos here.  It will be a few days before the website is live. 

Once the website is published and operational, then it will need links to social media.

:salute
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Learn Aces High 3 Video Submissions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 04:53:52 PM »
You can save a little effort by linking the current AH help videos so you don't waste time duplicating the same information.

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 07:17:05 PM »
I'll make a short demo video of taking off and landing. I just did a trial run and it took me about 5-7 minutes. Im interested. I used to make a lot of videos on YouTube, mainly for a game called Skyrim.

"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 12:06:38 PM »
  I like it!  :salute
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 04:07:00 AM »
A limitation I feel exists with some raw training videos is that they are about as entertaining as an officer reading your rights. I get that the idea is to transport information. But where youtube (and the people putting videos there) trick you into watching the next over and over, the feeling training videos create can easily be one of not wanting to watch another one. Ideally, it should be entertaining enough for someone who is not interested in playing to keep watching.

(youtube sometimes manages to do this with topics I'm not interested in, but most videos about anything flight-simulators have the opposite effect.)

On the long list of training topics above the most important one is missing: The war that is going on, with strategies how to fight it. Field capture and defense strategies, resupply, strat targes, porking and how to make the other two countries fight eachother, sneaking fields, reading intentions from the information the map provides, relevance of local superioriy, synchronizing down-times, how to hide GVs and pilots and how to find them, hiding carriers, ...

Without this, there isn't even a reason to take off.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 04:24:14 AM »
A limitation I feel exists with some raw training videos is that they are about as entertaining as an officer reading your rights. I get that the idea is to transport information. But where youtube (and the people putting videos there) trick you into watching the next over and over, the feeling training videos create can easily be one of not wanting to watch another one. Ideally, it should be entertaining enough for someone who is not interested in playing to keep watching.

(youtube sometimes manages to do this with topics I'm not interested in, but most videos about anything flight-simulators have the opposite effect.)

On the long list of training topics above the most important one is missing: The war that is going on, with strategies how to fight it. Field capture and defense strategies, resupply, strat targes, porking and how to make the other two countries fight eachother, sneaking fields, reading intentions from the information the map provides, relevance of local superioriy, synchronizing down-times, how to hide GVs and pilots and how to find them, hiding carriers, ...

Without this, there isn't even a reason to take off.

They are important and advanced  things to know.  We're focusing on the ones coming off the street and knowing nothing about the game.  Don't know how to fly a plane.

Those advanced issues are the ones way down the road once there is enough information to get the new player online in the arenas and able to play the game without not understanding why they die all the time.

Baby steps.  Learning the complex keyboard controls, text commands, flight control stick, personalize settings.
Toddler running. Playing in Main Arena, using vox and text channels, using BB forum, joining a mission or squad.
Running with the Big Dogs.  Everything you mentioned in your post plus more.

You will see in the long run how positive this will be.  It might take a few months to see some growth.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 04:44:07 AM »
Creating motivation by providing a reason to die for is needed before strategies to avoid dieing.

A reason to learn complex keyboard commands is needed before the commands themselves.

Otherwise it ends up to be just boring information, that will only be consumed by someone already having an idea why the information is needed, actively looking for it. For that person a simple reference to Shaw's book will work, no need for a new website.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 12:01:29 PM »
I think a good PDF of the default keyboard commands prominently available would be a good idea. I couldn't find the defaults on the website without a confusing search so I used a google search. The list on the website isn't helpful in that you have to be on the website to read it. I am thinking that it is much easier to start out if you have a sheet of paper with everything on it as it is way too complex to look them up in game if you don't know what you are doing. After all what do you need to start playing? You need to know what button to push.
Pies not kicks.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 12:07:30 PM »
If you look at the keymapper you'll see all the keyboard commands while in the game.

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 07:27:06 PM »
I've done a few "trial" runs of taking off for a new player. One difficulty is just the time limit. Takes about 8min for instruction on selecting base, then good beginner plane (spitfire mark 16 in this case), taking off with auto pilot, different auto pilot modes (speed, angle, level, etc) then returning to base and landing.

One difficulty is that most people will probably play for the first few times without a joystick. Maybe they might use a mouse or game controller (xbox), so I was thinking of demoing the gameplay with a mouse, but I can't fly at all with that thing since I have a joystick and totally not used to mouse flying.

I also did two resup tutorials in m3 and c47 for AAA resupping and they are 5 and 8ish minutes respectively. I could upload them but they were a one-take draft video and not the best.
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 08:10:40 PM »
Svaalbar, try cutting the video into snipits.  You would be amazed about how much "dead space" you really have.
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 09:29:24 AM »
If you look at the keymapper you'll see all the keyboard commands while in the game.

What is your point?

Pies not kicks.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 09:35:27 AM »
Additionally the website page can be printed to PDF or printed out as well...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2020, 09:56:01 AM »
I am not going to argue that the information is not available. I am not even going to argue that about the merit of having a list of key commands prominently and easily available for print out in a form optimized for use while learning the game. I am only going to state that of the two people I got to try the game both complained about the difficulty of finding out what button did what.

IL2 has the same problem:https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/11026-command-list/
Pies not kicks.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
I guess I don't know what else we as a community can do. The info is available in the game and on the website and is available to put into any format someone wants it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com