Author Topic: Learn Aces High 3 Video Submissions  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Learn Aces High 3 Video Submissions
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2020, 10:03:15 AM »
You mean like in his forum avatar?

It's been my experience that Hitech has quite a broad sense of humor, unlike a certain unnamed toxic fart that hangs over this this forum, fouling it on a daily basis.

I agree.   

Hitech has always had a good sense of humor which is why I made the joke.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2020, 10:10:07 AM »
You do realize those 2 statements are | and not ^ ?

HiTech

I would have expected logical rather than bitwise.  ;)

Regardless, it is true that many lower forms of primate are as adept with their feet as their hands.   
Drunk or sober.

:D

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2020, 10:13:27 AM »
I agree.   

Hitech has always had a good sense of humor which is why I made the joke.

I did not find your supposed joke amusing in any way.

HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2020, 10:39:04 AM »
I did not find your supposed joke amusing in any way.

HiTech

Well, what can I say other than sorry?   No offense was meant*.    I was just bouncing off comments like the following because you've joked about it before.   This was the context in which I was writing, posted here for clarity of intent:

scottydawg: Didn't think you were when you posted, but if you had I would not have taken offense. Even I make fun of my spelling.

I don't think there are enough teachers in the world to accomplish your request.:)

But per the first question.

Coad =code I.E. program with joke that most programers spelling is less then stellar.

HiTech

I just assumed it was a programmer stereotype/inside joke.  I even thought COAD was something all programmers said (kinda like gamers say PWN).    My apologies.  :salute

__
* https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,398883.msg5287645.html#msg5287645

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:10:28 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2020, 11:33:53 AM »
Well dyslexia comes in many forms and shapes. Some people have it but just a little and other have it bad, very bad. I am lucky to have a somewhat mild form of dyslexia.

In my school years it was no fun, earning F's for grammar sucks after studying weeks on the test.

Dutch

I had a very very mild form when I was very young.  I remember having to get special testing.  I eventually grew out of mine. 

It would be interesting study to see what percentage of programmers have had some form relative to the general population.  I did read somewhere that programmers have a disproportionate  population of left-handers.

We also have statistically larger "joysticks" than average.  At least that is the rumor I am starting.  :noid

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:40:44 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 11:44:57 AM »
I do believe that you need to do the same thing FLS. It's almost as if you are constantly wanting there to be a problem when one doesn't exist. You then revert to passive aggressive statements to irritate the recipient while trying to maintain a false moral high ground.

Nailed it.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2020, 12:04:10 PM »
[quote  (kinda like gamers say PWN).   
[/quote]

actually if i remember correctly that phrase was coined in this game years ago.  can't remember the name.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »

(kinda like gamers say PWN).   

actually if i remember correctly that phrase was coined in this game years ago.  can't remember the name.

semp

I don't think it started here.   I am fairly sure I heard it before even WBs came out.   Some sources say it came from some WARCRAFT-like game in the early 90s but I can't recall which.   Others claim it is from the 1960s.   If it did start here that would be pretty epic, though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:11:15 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2020, 12:20:53 PM »
Dyslexia is something that was not known when I was in school. Until the invention of spell checkers and word processing writing anything was extremely difficult.   Many times I can not spell a word close enough to its correct spelling for a spell checker to find the correct word.

What I always find strange is that I read  50 to 100 books a year. But words only go one way, reading a word 1000 times would not increase my ability to spell it 10 minutes later. In helping my daughters with their home work, 1st and 3rd grade, many times I can not be sure if they spelled the word correctly with out checking the list.

After reading about Dyslexia  later in life it was fun to see other high functioning dyslexic people like my self describe how spell checkers changed their life.  As an example to graduate collage ,University of  Northern Iowa had a writing competency exam. You had to write a 2 page paper on some subject in a 2 hour test. (this is pre-computers). For me to pass the test I spent about 15 minutes writing the paper and the remaining time checking almost every word in the dictionary.

Today if I was writing on a computer the test would be simple.

In grade school to be able to get a D on a spelling test required at least 2 hours before school the day of the test trying to memorize the words. It is very normal for me to be able to spell a word correctly and then 1 minute later not be able to spell the same word again.

What happens when writing is that you learn to choose different words then you world prefer simply because you can spell them.

So why I didn't find Vraciu joke amusing was because he assumes using precise language (which I try hard to do) and spelling have anything to do with each other.

HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2020, 12:46:17 PM »
Dyslexia is something that was not known when I was in school. Until the invention of spell checkers and word processing writing anything was extremely difficult.   Many times I can not spell a word close enough to its correct spelling for a spell checker to find the correct word.

What I always find strange is that I read  50 to 100 books a year. But words only go one way, reading a word 1000 times would not increase my ability to spell it 10 minutes later. In helping my daughters with their home work, 1st and 3rd grade, many times I can not be sure if they spelled the word correctly with out checking the list.

After reading about Dyslexia  later in life it was fun to see other high functioning dyslexic people like my self describe how spell checkers changed their life.  As an example to graduate collage ,University of  Northern Iowa had a writing competency exam. You had to write a 2 page paper on some subject in a 2 hour test. (this is pre-computers). For me to pass the test I spent about 15 minutes writing the paper and the remaining time checking almost every word in the dictionary.

Today if I was writing on a computer the test would be simple.

In grade school to be able to get a D on a spelling test required at least 2 hours before school the day of the test trying to memorize the words. It is very normal for me to be able to spell a word correctly and then 1 minute later not be able to spell the same word again.

What happens when writing is that you learn to choose different words then you world prefer simply because you can spell them.

So why I didn't find Vraciu joke amusing was because he assumes using precise language (which I try hard to do) and spelling have anything to do with each other.

HiTech

Wow.  Thanks for sharing all that.   That story hits close to home with me.

It reminds of my son.  When he was little he resisted reading and I would get impatient with him about it.   His mom insisted he had dyslexia and I said no, he's just being a brat.   I finally sat down with him and drew letters like E and numbers like 3, etc. and asked him to copy what I had written.  He would write them backwards.   That was a real lightbulb moment.   

I felt absolutely terrible and immediately found the most experienced private tutor for him I could afford.   He eventually wound up making all As and Bs (they also put him as diagnosed with dyslexia so he could not be punished for it, which is one of the rare good things that education has changed in the years since I was in school).   Reading is not a frustration for him any more, thank Gawd.

Well done for kicking arse in the face of such a challenge.  I had no idea.   My hat is off to you.    :salute

”KILLER V”

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2020, 01:00:35 PM »

After reading about Dyslexia  later in life it was fun to see other high functioning dyslexic people like my self describe how spell checkers changed their life. 

LoL.  I was just about to say that.  If I had to hand-write everything, I'd be fk'ed.  You couldn't read my writing and it would be horribly misspelled.

Spell checkers have been a life saver for me.  I never had much trouble with punctuation.  There is a logic to punctuation.  There is little to spelling.  Silent letters?  English truly doesn't compile.

People sometimes say spell-checkers make people lazy, they have greatly improved my spelling over the years.  It's like a tutor standing over your shoulder watching every second, correcting you.  However, I still can never spell "guarantee"  right the first time even after all these years.  There is something evil about that word.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2020, 01:11:16 PM »
I can very much relate to what Hitech is saying. However i am much younger than Hitech so i got some extra guidance in school which honestly helped very little. Just in this sentence i had to correct 7 words with the spelling checker.
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »

LoL.  I was just about to say that.  If I had to hand-write everything, I'd be fk'ed.  You couldn't read my writing and it would be horribly misspelled.

Spell checkers have been a life saver for me.  I never had much trouble with punctuation.  There is a logic to punctuation.  There is little to spelling.  Silent letters?  English truly doesn't compile.

People sometimes say spell-checkers make people lazy, they have greatly improved my spelling over the years.  It's like a tutor standing over your shoulder watching every second, correcting you.  However, I still can never spell "guarantee"  right the first time even after all these years.  There is something evil about that word.

I bet you also spell better typing. Seems like the muscle memory kicks in and helps.

HiTech

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2020, 01:24:03 PM »
It wasn't until 2000 during my first trip to the Philippines. That, I didn't truly understand for an individual suffering from dyslexia or even worse, the ability to not read words.  When I was in a foreign country looking at signage everywhere in a foreign language.  looking at words and not knowing what they mean.

We take reading for granted. 

Almost 30 years after high school, grammar and punctuation tends to fall to the wayside.  In this computer world, spell check is very handy and the little line underneath words typed helps you with the rollover of the mouse that the sentence isn't correct.

This is great conversation.  Back on point, anybody working on some videos?  I'm still finishing some CM stuff (almost completed).  Then, I'll turn my attention to the training videos.  By that time, the website should be up and running.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2020, 01:27:33 PM »
I bet you also spell better typing. Seems like the muscle memory kicks in and helps.

HiTech

Absolutely.  I think part of that is I can type much faster than I can hand-write.  When I hand-write, if I am trying to make it actually legible, I end up multi-threading and my thoughts are 3 sentences ahead of my hand and the writing thread just start throwing out gibberish in a desperate attempt to catch-up.   ;)  When I type, I can keep up with my thoughts enough that I can spare a few more CPU cycles for consider spelling.   

Typing also has a more discrete nature so it is more like memorizing piano key stroke patterns.  I don't so much spell as play back the finger movements.

Still, I generally just throw out what I'm writing regardless of errors until I complete my thought/paragraph and then go back through and fix all the red stuff.  Like fixing a bunch of compile errors.  (Thank Cod for intellisense BTW.   :D)