Author Topic: What causes the flippy flop?  (Read 14460 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: What causes the flippy flop?
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2020, 12:23:17 PM »

No, I seldom put quality meats in the sous vide.  They can generally do fine traditionally.  The magic of the sous vide is taking really marginal cheap cuts and turning them into "prime" quality.

The people who I have served the cross-rib roast I made as noted above, swear I am serving them prime rib.

Ironically, like Par mentioned,  the tougher cuts of meat usually have richer flavor than the more expensive cuts that are tender.  They just need to be broken down for proper texture.

:salute

Ever do pork rips? Dry rub, 155 24 hours. Then finish with sauce on grill or oven baist and turn about 5 times.

Also I do a lot of fajitas 145 24 hours, cut and then sear .

HiTech

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »
One trick that I use for all of my meats prior to cooking is to rub a little sea salt on both sides, not much just a dash. After about an hour in the fridge, I add cracked peppercorn, heat up the cast iron, drop some veg oil (high smoke point, good for searing) 3-5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the cut under consistent heat and walla, perfect steak. I also make taters (Wedges) that are seasoned with garlic, cracked peppercorn, oregano, parsley, basil and a dash of red pepper powder and a splash of virgin olive oil and then  bake them for an hour. I off course add sweet corn on the cob boiled in butter/water. A meal fit for a king or er a glutton

:rock
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2020, 12:25:42 PM »
Pork ribs cooked in anything but smoke is just blasphemy! Just put em in the microwave why don't ye!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2020, 12:28:19 PM »
funniest thing about prime rib.

when i met my wife, she invited me to her family's house for Thanksgiving. she told need they had prime rib and it wad great. so i went they gave me a big chunk if really tasty beef with all the fixings, it was awesome, had a great time.

so when we left to go to her place, i asked her so what happened to the ribs? she said you had the prime rib, told her i didn't have any ribs. she said it's prime rib, it doesn't have any bones, so i asked why call it prime rib if there's no ribs in it.

that was the first time i ate prime rib while it was awesome i felt cheated.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
One trick that I use for all of my meats prior to cooking is to rub a little sea salt on both sides, not much just a dash. After about an hour in the fridge, I add cracked peppercorn, heat up the cast iron, drop some veg oil (high smoke point, good for searing) 3-5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the cut under consistent heat and walla, perfect steak. I also make taters (Wedges) that are seasoned with garlic, cracked peppercorn, oregano, parsley, basil and a dash of red pepper powder and a splash of virgin olive oil and then  bake them for an hour. I off course add sweet corn on the cob boiled in butter/water. A meal fit for a king or er a glutton

You guys work too hard.

Throw it on the grill under low heat and throw your seasoning on top.   When it sears one side flip it and season that one.   (If you prefer to pre-season that's okay, too, but I rarely do.)    One that's done use low to medium heat and turn frequently.   When you get the center the way you want it, trim the fat and pull it off.   It will be juicy, tender without feeling like an egg, and delicious.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2020, 12:39:34 PM »
Ever do pork rips? Dry rub, 155 24 hours. Then finish with sauce on grill or oven baist and turn about 5 times.

Also I do a lot of fajitas 145 24 hours, cut and then sear .

HiTech

Oh yeah, I've done ribs.  I did a great brisket once but it took like 3 freakin days!  :rofl

I'll try those fajitas.  I love fajitas but mine have never reached the same level as I've had at the best restaurants.  I'd love to crack the fajita tech.  Skirt is just the kind of poor cut that sous vide was made for!  ;)

I'm not a huge fan of chicken breast, but I've made it for people who are.  4hr@140deg   sliced into medallions, fanned on the plate and drizzled with a Kerrygold butter and rosemary sauce.  People sometimes don't believe me that is chicken breast.  A completely different texture chicken than they've ever had in their life.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »

Oh yeah, I've done ribs.  I did a great brisket once but it took like 3 freakin days!  :rofl

I'll try those fajitas.  I love fajitas but mine have never reached the same level as I've had at the best restaurants.  I'd love to crack the fajita tech.  Skirt is just the kind of poor cut that sous vide was made for!  ;)

I'm not a huge fan of chicken breast, but I've made it for people who are.  4hr@140deg   sliced into medallions, fanned on the plate and drizzled with a Kerrygold butter and rosemary sauce.  People sometimes don't believe me that is chicken breast.  A completely different texture chicken than they've ever had in their life.

Two words.   FIESTA BRAND.   They make their fajita seasoning in San Antonio and it's AWESOME.   You can use it on ANYTHING and it will taste superb.

The key to fajitas is a nice thick sirloin or chicken breast.   Season it, grill it, then slice it up when you're done and it will be flawless.
”KILLER V”

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2020, 12:45:14 PM »
The key to fajitas is a nice thick sirloin or chicken breast.

Proper fajitas are not sirloin or chicken.  Only skirt steak.  What are you, a freakin yankee????   Jebus.  I bet you even put beans in your chili.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »

Proper fajitas are not sirloin or chicken.  Only skirt steak.  What are you, a freakin yankee????   Jebus.  I bet you even put beans in your chili.

Hey, you wanna' know why they don't taste good there's your answer.    :bhead

And yes, Chicken Fajitas are absolutely the best.    You need to get with the 19th Century bruh.    :old:

In any case, use that seasoning like I told ya.   You'll thank me later.   :banana:
”KILLER V”

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2020, 01:00:40 PM »
fajitas can only be skirt beef, and you live in Texas for God's sake.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2020, 01:10:11 PM »

Same people who think ground meat soup with beans in it is "chili".

I remember in the AF they server something they called cornbread.  It was almost white and sweet and obviously not cooked in cast iron.  I was like WTF is this?  NO, it's not cornbread, it's corn flavored pound cake.

Carpet-baggers!  :D

« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:12:15 PM by CptTrips »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2020, 01:15:41 PM »
fajitas can only be skirt beef, and you live in Texas for God's sake.

semp

Fajitas can be anything I make them to be so long as they're beef or chicken.    Yes, this is Texas.   Born and raised with a great great great grandfather who fought at San Jacinto.    We like our Chicken Fajitas here just as much as our beef.    :aok
”KILLER V”

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2020, 01:16:47 PM »
Same people who think ground meat soup with beans in it is "chili".

I remember in the AF they server something they called cornbread.  It was almost white and sweet and obviously not cooked in cast iron.  I was like WTF is this?  NO, it's not cornbread, it's corn flavored pound cake.

Carpet-baggers!  :D

I like the TEXAS in my Tex-Mex food.  And no white cheese either.  EVER.   YUCK.
”KILLER V”

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2020, 02:00:23 PM »

You take the steak out of the fridge at least 30 mins before cooking though right?  And add some butter once you have seared the meat.  Other than that I agree with your method.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2020, 05:38:42 PM »
You take the steak out of the fridge at least 30 mins before cooking though right?  And add some butter once you have seared the meat.  Other than that I agree with your method.

Of course, the steak needs to be room or very near room temp before cooking or it throws your heat and times off. Don't need butter as I use vegetable oil on the cast iron because of the high threshold required by the vegetable oil to smoke out the house.
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario