Author Topic: Show me some factual info  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Show me some factual info
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
But what if your plane is on a conveyor belt?

OHHHH NOOOOooo you started that AGAIN!!!!!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 08:34:01 PM »
So what about German Bombers over Britain circa August 1940?  :D
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2020, 07:37:17 AM »
So what about German Bombers over Britain circa August 1940?  :D

I'm guessing max range power setting.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 08:28:30 PM »
For WWII planes outside of compressibility, there are generally these three airspeeds that matter.

IAS = indicated airspeed = what is read on the airspeed indicator, which is using a pitot tube to estimate airspeed.

CAS = calibrated airspeed = the airspeed after IAS is corrected for calibration of the airspeed indicator/pilot tube.  CAS is usually close to IAS, and I think they might be the same in AH, i.e., the airspeed indicators are modeled to be already calibrated.

TAS = true airspeed = the true speed of the airplane through the air = sqrt(rho0 / rho) * CAS, where rho0 is air density at sea level, and rho is the air density at the altitude you are flying.  At high altitudes, TAS is much larger than IAS.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2020, 01:35:40 PM »
For WWII planes outside of compressibility, there are generally these three airspeeds that matter.

IAS = indicated airspeed = what is read on the airspeed indicator, which is using a pitot tube to estimate airspeed.

CAS = calibrated airspeed = the airspeed after IAS is corrected for calibration of the airspeed indicator/pilot tube.  CAS is usually close to IAS, and I think they might be the same in AH, i.e., the airspeed indicators are modeled to be already calibrated.

TAS = true airspeed = the true speed of the airplane through the air = sqrt(rho0 / rho) * CAS, where rho0 is air density at sea level, and rho is the air density at the altitude you are flying.  At high altitudes, TAS is much larger than IAS.

When it comes to "questions" on the "Aces High Forums", I've always have looked at the question as pertaining to Aces High (the game itself).... I guess this is the one "sub-forum" where it can pertain to both the Aces High game and to "Real Life"

CAS = Calibrated Air Speed  (CAS = corrected air speed)

Would not both be correct for CAS?

Mongoose

That handy little converter tool you haappened to have used in your post, didn't happen to be an "asa E6-B Flight Computer" sliderule, would it? just curious....

thank you HiTech, for help correcting me on my "TAS<-----corrected where I had originally typed it, then you gave the proper TAS = CAS....

Instead of using these different copys/versions of these asa E6-B calculating/slide rules.... I have a pretty neat one that is computer-based and is very informative....dew point, humidity, air density, wind direction. HDG, TAS, IAS, cross wind angle, etc......
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 01:37:25 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 09:07:00 PM »

Mongoose

That handy little converter tool you haappened to have used in your post, didn't happen to be an "asa E6-B Flight Computer" sliderule, would it? just curious....

Not this time. I did a quick internet search for IAS to TAS converter.

I have an E6-B around here somewhere, but it was quicker to do the internet search.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 09:59:02 PM »
Heh, I should start using Google or Bing Search more these days, then I wouldn't be disagreeing with other people's correct answers and ,LOL, look smart too.....haha

Edit: decided to give Google and Bing search a go at "TAS, CAS, IAS and their meaning regarding aviation" ....people don't need books anymore in this day and age, do they.....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:11:28 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
150 mph IAS at 25,000 was typical for flight planning 8th AF ops. B-24 was faster but settled for typical 22,000 feet at 180mph TAS.

I corrected TAS to IAS as it should be. TAS over the ground with no wind conditions was typically about 210mph TAS at 25K
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"