Author Topic: VR headset and the monitor: do they kiss?  (Read 829 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
VR headset and the monitor: do they kiss?
« on: January 20, 2020, 02:38:07 PM »
I've been assuming that the Oculus Rift S headset is essentially a separate monitor, so that the real monitor's settings (such as anti-aliasing, V-sync) have nothing to do with the headset.  But decades of experience teach me that I am often, if not usually, wrong about such things.  What's The Truth?

- oldman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: VR headset and the monitor: do they kiss?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »
In Aces high you can set advanced graphics for VR but not video properties. So anti-alias is yes, v-sync is no.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 04:09:43 PM »
I've been assuming that the Oculus Rift S headset is essentially a separate monitor, so that the real monitor's settings (such as anti-aliasing, V-sync) have nothing to do with the headset.  But decades of experience teach me that I am often, if not usually, wrong about such things.  What's The Truth?

- oldman
The settings you might use directly on your monitor are only for the monitor. If you have an Nvidia graphics card, there's the Nvidia control panel where you can control all sorts of graphics preferences on a per app basis. Example you can have different settings for AH than for something else and they'll automatically switch for you when your start that program.

Additionally, there's a 3rd party app called Oculus Tray Tool that does some of the same stuff and can have profiles set up for different games and will also switch to those settings automatically. Get that here.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/oculus-traytool-download.html

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 06:22:15 PM »

- oldman

In the old days of VR they were like a mirror monitor and yes you used to have weird stuff happen. Since Oculus hit the scene they have been treated as a separate rendering device and other vendors following suit.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 01:03:52 PM »
Additionally, there's a 3rd party app called Oculus Tray Tool that does some of the same stuff and can have profiles set up for different games and will also switch to those settings automatically. Get that here.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/oculus-traytool-download.html

Hey  Drano, do you think the options in Oculus Tray are helpful for Aces High?  Thanks!   :salute

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 01:20:01 PM »
the occulus debug tool has a couple settings that are great if your pc can hang.

the main one is Pixels Per Display Pixel Overide. this will basically supersample the dislay for more pixels. 1.2-1.4 are good starting settings. 2.0 is nice if your machine can keep up.
this has the effect of increasing resolution.

also if your computer is fast enough turning off adaptive gpu and async warp can be nice if you can maintain the full 90 fps in vr. it will smooth things out a bit.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 09:42:57 PM »
the occulus debug tool has a couple settings that are great if your pc can hang.

the main one is Pixels Per Display Pixel Overide. this will basically supersample the dislay for more pixels. 1.2-1.4 are good starting settings. 2.0 is nice if your machine can keep up.
this has the effect of increasing resolution.

also if your computer is fast enough turning off adaptive gpu and async warp can be nice if you can maintain the full 90 fps in vr. it will smooth things out a bit.

Cool, thank you toasted.  Another reason to tinker with my puter and upgrade my cpu/mobo...I've decide my i5 7600K is bottlenecking my RTX 1080 Super....some.  I've noticed in at least some maps/situations my frame rate dips, although still quite playable and with all the vid settings  full on.