Author Topic: New CH Pedals  (Read 544 times)

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
New CH Pedals
« on: January 25, 2020, 08:50:01 AM »
Hi everyone. I got a new set of CH Pedals for Christmas, and I am just getting around to hooking them up. I was hoping the settings would be automatic, but it doesn't appear to be the case.
I clicked on calibration and moved them every which way, but when I am in an airplane, it seems I can only make my rudder go one direction, and I am not sure if the brakes are assigned right. Any tips as to what is supposed to do what? It seems like if I slide my left foot forward the rudder should turn the aircraft to the right, and the opposite with the right pedal (I may have that backward, having never flown with pedals).

They are just supposed to control the rudder and the brakes, right? Any tips for a beginner?

Thanks,

Dallas

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: New CH Pedals
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 09:22:56 AM »
When you push your left foot forward the nose of the aircraft should move (yaw) to the left.

The pedal brakes and rudder should be set up as analog controllers. You'll see rudder(yaw) and left and right brake in the menu.

Make sure nothing else is mapped to the rudder or brake pedal controllers. It's possible to assign keystrokes to part of the analog input. Scroll down to be sure nothing else is assigned to min, mid, or max.

Select Advanced and you should see the rudder control is centered and moves in both directions. If you're going to rest your feet on the rudders add some deadband.

Rudder pedals are used to correct adverse yaw. When you roll to the right you will yaw to the left while rolling. You correct this by pushing the pedal in the direction you roll. Rolling right use right rudder while you roll then use as much or as little rudder as necessary while holding the turn.

If you fly a flat scissors you can practice correcting adverse yaw as you roll into the left and right turns. If you'd like a little help with this schedule some training.

When you pull the stick back quickly to snap roll you can affect the snap roll with rudder input. This is really obvious in vertical snap rolls. Compare no rudder input with left and right input.

If you look at the rudder while pushing the pedals you'll see that you can move the pedals faster than the rudder responds so don't move the pedals too quickly.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:27:22 AM by FLS »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:56:02 AM »
Hi everyone. I got a new set of CH Pedals for Christmas, and I am just getting around to hooking them up. I was hoping the settings would be automatic, but it doesn't appear to be the case.
I clicked on calibration and moved them every which way, but when I am in an airplane, it seems I can only make my rudder go one direction, and I am not sure if the brakes are assigned right. Any tips as to what is supposed to do what? It seems like if I slide my left foot forward the rudder should turn the aircraft to the right, and the opposite with the right pedal (I may have that backward, having never flown with pedals).

They are just supposed to control the rudder and the brakes, right? Any tips for a beginner?

Thanks,

Dallas

If you have a twisty stick, you'll have to remove the rudders from them first.

• From the clipboard, click "Options/controls/Map controllers"
  • Use the top drop down to select your stick
  • Double click the "Z" axis and select "none" at the top and click OK

To setup the pedals,

• Use the top drop down to select the CH ProPedals
  • Double click the "Z" axis
  • select the Rudder (yaw) from the list and click OK

With the Z axis highlighted you'll see that the "calibrate" button is clickable so you can calibrate the axis if you want.

To setup the toe brakes, double click the "X" and "Y" axis one at a time and select the brakes for each, X is the left brake, Y is the right.

Its going to take some time to get use to them, you may even want to scale the rudder a bit to make it quite so "snappy".

Good Luck!

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »
Thanks to both of you for the help. I think I have them set properly. However, when I start down the runway, with the pedals centered and my feet off them, the nose of the aircraft take a pretty hard turn to the left, until I end up crashing into the rearm hut.  Am I supposed to be able to take off with auto-pilot, or am I supposed to be using the rudder pedals as soon as I start rolling (because auto-pilot is immediately disengaged)?

Also, the Z-Axis is at 32,000ish while at rest and goes from 0 to 64,000 when I go either way. On a bright note, the brakes work now :-)
D

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 02:23:08 PM »
If auto takeoff is shutting off it means one of your controllers is giving input to the game. You can look at the advanced page for each controller axis and see if you have some jitter or spiking. You may need to add deadband.

If the rudder pedals do not exactly center themselves add deadband.

For manual takeoff you need to offset the torque and spiral slipstream with the rudder pedals. Depending on the aircraft's direction of prop rotation you usually need right rudder but some aircraft will need left rudder. P-38's are the exception since the props have opposite rotation to each other.

Don't worry about the numbers, after calibrating you should see full travel on the controller setup advanced page.

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 02:51:01 PM »
^^
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 04:27:01 PM »
Hit F3 when taking off. Watch the rudder. If it snaps over the rudder (z axis) is causing it. If the rudder is not moving then its the left brake causing the issue.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 04:39:39 PM »
Sometimes you have to invert the axis on the brakes. You can check by pushing the brakes and see if they go on or off but it should be obvious on the advanced setup for the brake axis.