Author Topic: Opinions on FSO T+60 launches  (Read 2283 times)

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
Opinions on FSO T+60 launches
« on: January 25, 2020, 04:25:51 PM »
It's great.

It works well keeping people in the scenario with historical plane plane sets.

I mentioned it to AKMarine in a pm that the bases need to be closer to the action. A second strike is limited to one round trip.

Vulching at T+60? To have knowledge of where a large group will be on the runway to the exact minute... it is overpowered. Not upping from a flashing base is an obvious countermeasure. Too many vulch kills skews the score.

In Frame 3, I vulched uppers at the target field. I rationalize that this is legitimate as I was shooting up the field as part of the objectives.

To reiterate, T+60 launches are great.   :aok
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Opinions on FSO T+60 launches
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »
I like it but, the fields were too far apart.  I was at 1 hour 40 mark on my second sortie over enemy target after re-arm.  Little or no time to get back into it unless the fight is right in front of you.  Having 3 fields to lift from is smart so they cannot all be capped at T+60, actually 4 including carrier. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 05:54:34 PM »
The CM's are looking at different options as no plane set will have the same issues.

Some people want quick Combat Challenge Action, others want it to be limited to time or number of sorties to preserve the 1 life original intent of FSO.

We'll definitely revisit it, but it may not be suitable for all setups in FSO.

Please give us more input.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline UncleKurt

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »
 :aok Had a ball..
Thanks for giving it a try Nef. While SEC CM for Dhyran and 68Raptor about 10 years ago I experimented with different fields and different times/plane sets. This was an equalizer for limited player numbers and event timing for a more Euro based event and time frame.. The effect was similar as here in FSO. Depends on the player base and preferences/flexibility. Distance, like the B29 frames when the hardware first emerged...but Wow 55 minutes to get to land after that air launch. I think back on FSO evolution as an event and the heart of principle has been one life. At least this adaptation has helped extend the event and kept us players in the arena. Keep it up!!! One other bitcoin to ponder again is GV involvement and a 2nd hour surface engagement with the Solomon's Map.. Given that map may not be useable of late. Kudos to Terrain Team!! <S> :joystick:
I Like pizza!
I Hate red airplanes!
Leave my sheep alone!
What an axle!<br/Do Not Impose to Bully Around Me!

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »
Please only do this a few times a year.  The fundamentals of the event will collapse otherwise.

Do not make a "re-up" base the same as a target base or even within a sector of any target.
People who preserve their ride in the first hour do not deserve to be overwhelmed with endless spawning at their prescribed target.

Keeping the re-up fields close enough to the front line to allow interaction is good.  Placing them directly opposite each other a sector apart will definitely get old quick.  Again, that is a threat to the fundamentals of FSO.  Combat Challenge is its own event.

2nd rides should always be significantly lower in performance than first rides but still basically capable of completing the tasking.  Once you remove side tasking from the equation you have removed the purpose of Squad Operations.  You have simply constructed a FFA arena.

Finding the right balance will be quite the task. 

Just for info:
We have had second rides before in FSO.  Significantly inferior rides (Ju-87, Kate Il2) facing late war fighters were given an option to re-up in a fighter after death.  Worked OK for a bit but eventually transformed into a "fly it into a tree and get a real plane" mentality. 

"No matter how noble the intent of the designers, somebody somehow, will find a way to pervert it"  Dantoo's Law.

I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 09:49:27 PM »
I prefer the one life option. Just a more intense experience. The 2nd ride changes the way people fly and approach to FSO.  :cheers:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 08:49:06 AM »
I also prefer the one life option.
The 2nd life + flying was not in the spirit of the FSO in my opinion and more resembled "Kamikaze" or "Sonderkommando", especially if the 2nd life flyers encountered a first life aircraft.

All in all, i enjoyed the January set up and plane set/balance. The second life thing is a choice that i will not partake in, in the future.
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline Bannor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
I like the it mainly because it keeps the community engaged for a longer period of time. However, in frame 2 we were the victims of some naughty vulchers, and in return I was feeling a bit naughty knowing the axis were going to be taking off from the CV. Perhaps in some scenarios we should have a secondary set of objectives. An organized attack on a different field/strat. Something specific like destroying ord, fuel, and barracks? I do think we need to move away from setting up and waiting for the other team to re-up from a field and taking them out on the runway.
Destiny brought you here, now FATE will deal with your six!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 11:05:47 AM »
If you are going to do the 2nd life thing, it should be just that. A second life IE 1 re-up. Not unlimited upping.

As mentioned above, it changes the way someone flies if they know they can just take off again.

I see the merit in the idea. The attack group get wiped out 30 minutes in. POOF they are done for the night. This way they get to continue to fight for the night, or morning, depending on what side of the planet you live on  :D Yes that was for you Dantoo

But limit it to a second life, not a third , fourth and fifth.

Just my thoughts
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 01:02:55 PM »
I think the idea of keeping players engaged in the event for the full two hours is a good one. Myself, I enjoyed it. A few thoughts about the second hour in future FSO's:
A separate set of objectives, smaller in scope and less complex that can be fully executed in less than an hour.
One additional life instead of multiple lives.
Keep lower tier aircraft for the re-uppers (survivors from the first hour can still keep their original rides or tower out and select second tier ones).
Score it at say, two-thirds of the first hour.

--edited in-- May not be suitable for every frame in every FSO

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 01:16:52 PM by trap78 »

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
My intent was have the fields far enough apart to prevent 2-3-4 lives being used in quick succession. This did seem to keep the number of lives down, however it brought suggestions to move the fields closer who want that CC type of action.

We also have the ability to limit lives with the DeathMaxCount and Scoring, however it has had issues in past testing and we're not sure if it works the way we want it too.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »
My questions to the FSO community for feedback on the 2nd Life Aircraft, do you want to just dogfight with 2 different choices of lesser fighter aircraft that becomes players flying around in hopes to find a close enemy fighter or have a lesser fighter and lesser bomber and carry out the FSO Objectives in pushing the fight back to the original targets?
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 05:36:28 AM »
Definitely the second Kuya.  If you do anything else it becomes another event.
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline UncleKurt

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »
 :aok

Some designs work better or "FIT" better one way than others. Doing both may over complicate things.
 Not all will prefer one way all the time, I should think. You all are "Allowed To Try" as far as answering you question goes..
I would suggest that trial and review is fair game.. Thanks for the flexibility..

:salute
I Like pizza!
I Hate red airplanes!
Leave my sheep alone!
What an axle!<br/Do Not Impose to Bully Around Me!

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »
Please keep discussing here.  We are listening to what everyone has to say.  The CM team is discussing this in great detail. 

Thanks again for participating here and online. 

Those of you that PMd me your opinions during the 3 frames in January, that information is also being discussed.  I want you to know we are paying attention. 

:cheers:
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)