Author Topic: AI base defenders  (Read 7448 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: AI base defenders
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2020, 02:26:04 PM »
I believe that was done before the ability to hand-tweak the AI per aircraft.  The default settings were not ideal in all cases.  He even had bombers dogfighting. 

The offline 4x4 missions have been getting a fair amount of play.  People seem to find properly balanced AI an entertaining diversion when nothing better is available.

You are assuming no one would enjoy it, despite several people in this thread including the OP saying they would.

The forums and especially wishlist are very small representation of the players in the game so it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but honestly fighting AI gets very tiring and it's not going go create better gameplay. I believe it would piss more people off.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2020, 02:30:49 PM »
The forums and especially wishlist are very small representation of the players in the game so it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but honestly fighting AI gets very tiring and it's not going go create better gameplay. I believe it would piss more people off.

So you are saying that attacking a completely empty base with no defense is better game-play?

Maybe we should get rid of the ack too?  Does that get in their way too much?  Poor little things.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2020, 02:39:31 PM »
So you are saying that attacking a completely empty base with no defense is better game-play?

Maybe we should get rid of the ack too?  Does that get in their way too much?  Poor little things.

If the base was an important strategic base marked on the map than attacking it would be ideal and provide an objective or path to action. This would also provide incentive to defend it. The whole point of the war in the MA is to attack bases. I'm telling you that players who like to Jabo empty bases are going to hate having to deal with 2-3 AI trail them on their way to a base. Then you have to ask, what kind of planes would the AI be? Why hurt the attackers of the game spending the time to fly to the base in the first place? If the AI gets shot down by the group and they cap the field. It defeats its purpose anyway. I think players need to get better at base defense, but many are too impatient to roll from a back field.

I agree with you about short base distances and smaller maps, but a path to action that is optional is the best way to go about it.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2020, 02:44:05 PM »
I'm telling you that players who like to Jabo empty bases are going to hate having to deal with 2-3 AI trail them on their way to a base.

So they would probably prefer there be no ack either so they don't catch a lucky round in the face at the start of their kamikaze dive, right?  On that logic, why shouldn't we get rid of all ack so it can't interfere with their long flight to attack undefended bases?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »
I find attacking undefended bases gaming the game.

I don't think expecting the attackers to actually have to defeat some kind of resistance before they roll the base is not too much to ask.

Personally it has never been about base capturing for me.

The "Aces High" part of the game is what drew me in before gvs and ships even existed and is what keeps me coming back.

As time is limited for many of us I was just looking  for a way to implement more A2A with the current number of players that are logged in during off peak hours.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: February 13, 2020, 06:17:34 PM »
I find attacking undefended bases gaming the game.

I don't think expecting the attackers to actually have to defeat some kind of resistance before they roll the base is not too much to ask.

Personally it has never been about base capturing for me.

The "Aces High" part of the game is what drew me in before gvs and ships even existed and is what keeps me coming back.

As time is limited for many of us I was just looking  for a way to implement more A2A with the current number of players that are logged in during off peak hours.

<S>

Eagler

I see what you are saying but in some sense I believe it should be up to the other team to defend, and if they cannot defend than its their loss. I don't believe the people putting in the effort to attack the base should be penalized harshly for taking the time to fly to the base with ord and attacking it. That is afterall the whole concept of "winning the war". It use to be considered strategy to attack bases secretly and take them with no one looking. Not trying to put you down Eagler, we all want more fights. I just think AI in the MA won't go over well. Just my opinion. If ya want more fights. There is AI in the match play or offline missions to try.  :cheers:
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2020, 06:19:06 PM »
If ya want more fights. There is AI in the match play or offline missions to try.  :cheers:

If you want to attack undefended bases, there is offline practice to try. 

Something for everybody.  :aok

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2020, 06:22:15 PM »
It use to be considered strategy to attack bases secretly and take them with no one looking.

i think part of the problem is with the super low off peak numbers its not actually possible to defend all your bases.
if one side has 12 people and one has 6 the six person team just cannot defend everywhere they are attacked.

and thats ignoring the third group of 6-10 who are probably ganging you
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »
I think proper implementation of AI with live players opens the door for a unique and challenging game.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals