Author Topic: AI base defenders  (Read 7558 times)

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: AI base defenders
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2020, 09:55:12 AM »

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,193414.msg2251284.html#msg2251284

How does what you propose help guys like Greebo who have to play when there are 8 people online?

Couldn't what you suggest simply be someone getting on country channel and saying: "Hey guys, let's all attack A35!"

Okay, I'm sure that only lasted 10 minutes. I don't remember that. That being said, I'm not promoting only being able capture one base at a time. I'm promoting zones that are worth more points to fight in and point out to players where the best place to fight is to capture the strategic base. This would promote the fight on both sides.

If you said "let's all to attack a35" the other team doesnt know that. When your group shows up at the base, it's too late for the other side to defend. Thus creating the cap.

I play at 1am PST. 4am est. Theres about 15-20 players on. Typically they scattered around the map doing their own thing. Do you really think these people want to fight off AI ganging them every run? They are avoiding air combat for a reason. With zones at least they might be incentivized to fight in that area for more points rather than go attack undefended bases to avoid combat but get points. The bigger the map is, the more log off quicker as the night goes on because the fights slow down and people scatter around the map. They slow down because there is no incentive to fight in a certain area. Bigger maps don't concentrate action very well and fighter pilots log due to slower fights.

Concentrating the action is key.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2020, 10:03:49 AM »

Okay, I'm sure that only lasted 10 minutes.

LoL.  Indeed.  And what you are suggesting would be an even less effective version of that. 

I play at 1am PST. 4am est. Theres about 15-20 players on. Typically they scattered around the map doing their own thing. Do you really think these people want to fight off AI ganging them every run?

Because its better than fighting no one at all. For my time zone there are not enough players in the MA to make it worth me logging in except late at night when I am too tired to play, so I just don't bother any more. I am sure there are others in the same boat as me, but if we had something to do in the MA more engaging than bombing static targets it would encourage us to log in. With more players showing on the MA roster it encourages even more to log in and it becomes a benign circle.

I'd much rather have some AI planes protecting bases than the fun killing 88s we have now. This is something that would start dogfights rather than end them as they would make it a less of a suicide mission to up from a base with enemy fighters around.

To make things fairer a side with a higher than average numbers of human players could get fewer and/or worse replacement AI pilots and planes or longer respawn times until numbers evened out. I'd also like to see AI bomber raids heading to strats every now and then. Just seeds to get human players logging in to the MA during off peak times.

Concentrating the action is key.

And yet the ultimate attempt at concentration, base capture order, didn't appear to be wildly successful.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »

BTW, I'm not against finding ways to increase player density as well.  The approaches are not exclusive.

I've lobbied for slightly smaller maps, slightly closer base spacing, and 2-sides as possible levers to achieve that.

I'm not against assigning extra points to a high-value-target.  I just don't think there is any reason that can't work in conjunction with something along the lines of the OP suggestion.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Timppa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2020, 10:14:22 AM »
When attacking a base that is not being defended - AI defenders are generated by the app to oppose the attackers.

+1
Hitech have the tools already

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »
A way to add AI to the MA to give people something to shoot at during low-number times, would be to use one of the backcountry uncapturable bases.  Add AI drones at the base that will only attack friendlies.  Ammo and ord at the base would only damage AI drones.

This would make a place where players could shoot AI stuff and be in the MA, so if MA action heats up they will know about it and can get involved.  But those who don't want to fight AI can easily avoid it.

The AI drone base could also be open to non-subscribing players where they could fight the AI for free.  They could read and post on the 'help' channel and vox on the 'range' channel, but could only read the other channels.  Their 'name in lights messages' would only be visible to others within the AI base area.  They could get kills, learn from veteran players who wanted to spend time at the AI base (without being cannon fodder for those vets), and see the action in the MA available to paying subscribers.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2020, 11:42:13 AM »
AI will simply remove the last 10 people in the arena who aren't interested in fighting off computers ganging them every time they roll to a base. We have AI in the match play and no one goes there. Why is that?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2020, 11:54:28 AM »
AI will simply remove the last 10 people in the arena who aren't interested in fighting off computers ganging them every time they roll to a base. We have AI in the match play and no one goes there. Why is that?

And empty arenas with nothing to do will get it down to 10.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2020, 12:07:22 PM »
No we didnt have base capture order.

Yes we did, every one screamed about it.

HiTech

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2020, 12:13:41 PM »
My thought was it would be a random AI response.

When numbers are determined to be low - number of active players vs bases - when an undefended base is attacked AI defenders are randomly generated.

Plane type, numbers, skill level, type of  defense would then all go into the bingo ball spinner and the game would activate said defense response.

Again being random sometimes no AI defense is spawned.

I think lack of fights will kill the game more than some base sneaky group complaining about a mild AI defense would.

Glad to see the idea is still being discussed.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2020, 12:38:02 PM »
"I think lack of fights will kill the game more than some base sneaky group complaining about a mild AI defense would."

this, we shouldn't be worried about players who want no interaction with other players.
the fights are the whole point, and what drives the gameplay.

players rolling undefended bases and bailing or running away at the first sign of trouble is a fairly useless game mechanic to encourage.

i'd also like to see some penalty for bailing out of un-injured planes.

that and 2 guys working together shouldn't be able to roll half the map bases in a couple hours.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2020, 01:00:14 PM »
Yes we did, every one screamed about it.

HiTech

I didnt realize that until Trips posted the link. However, the idea I am presenting wouldn't limit players to only take the specific base, but would encourage players to take that base or fight in that area. They could still fight wherever and take bases where ever. The zone would simply give people an idea of where they should fight to take the most strategic base. I realize that might be difficult to code. But it would incentivize players to fight in that area for more points and would also encourage players to take strategic bases to benefit the war strategy.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
this, we shouldn't be worried about players who want no interaction with other players.

Exactly. 

It's always been this way.  It just wasn't noticed when you had 500 players in the arena. If someone tried to run, there was enough players that they were likely just to run into someone else.  Now there is PLENTY of open space to just get away.

And if you were chasing someone who was running, more that likely you ran into someone else to fight pretty quickly.  Which is why I have also argued for gently increasing player density through various mechanisms.  Ideally, you'd just add 400 new players.  If those are hard to come by, you use other levers to tighten things up. 

The runners were always there, just not always the only game in town.

:salute

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2020, 01:03:04 PM »
I didnt realize that until Trips posted the link. However, the idea I am presenting wouldn't limit players to only take the specific base, but would encourage players to take that base or fight in that area. They could still fight wherever and take bases where ever. The zone would simply give people an idea of where they should fight to take the most strategic base. I realize that might be difficult to code. But it would incentivize players to fight in that area for more points and would also encourage players to take strategic bases to benefit the war strategy.

So why don't you go post a wishlist topic on your idea?

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2020, 01:32:28 PM »

So why don't you go post a wishlist topic on your idea?

Maybe I will but I'd like to hear Hitechs thoughts on it.

I just don't think AI would solve the issue seeing as it hasn't solved it for match play.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
I just don't think AI would solve the issue seeing as it hasn't solved it for match play.

I believe that was done before the ability to hand-tweak the AI per aircraft.  The default settings were not ideal in all cases.  He even had bombers dogfighting. 

The offline 4x4 missions have been getting a fair amount of play.  People seem to find properly balanced AI an entertaining diversion when nothing better is available.

You are assuming no one would enjoy it, despite several people in this thread including the OP saying they would.