Author Topic: New Browser needed  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
New Browser needed
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:24:55 AM »
     I currently have Internet Explorer 11.00.9600.18231. Been getting message on Youtube that my browser will not be supported soon.

Running Win 7 Pro 64bit at this time. Will be updating to Win10 sometime in the future but not just yet.

Any suggestions on a good browser?  Firefox or something else that will get along well with AH3?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: New Browser needed
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 08:46:39 AM »
I'd assume Chrome has the majority of the market share. Firefox is also fine.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »
+1 for FireFox.  Been using it for over 5 years without issues.

Cooogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 09:30:23 AM »
FireFox +1

Google is NOT your friend!

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:38:21 AM »
Firefox here both in Linux and Windows, with strict tracking and uBlock Origin.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 10:11:59 AM »
Google and Mozilla have a very close relationship. Also, Google is the default search engine for Firefox.

Brave seems pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:26:42 AM by FLS »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 10:17:05 AM »
I prefer Firefox over Chrome since by default FF doesn't run in the background after closing.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »
     Thanks for the input all.

I have installed Firefox and it is working fine. I do have a few more questions.

Logged into AH3 game and flew awhile. NP. In game I went to task manager  and see that AH seems to use its own browser "ahbrowser.exe*32". Then to AH Bulletin Board, it still uses I.E.11 browser.  So...if I disable IE11 in windows control panel (does not seem to be able to be deleted) will the BB then use Firefox as default browser? I really would like to be rid of Micosoft as much as possible.

Also...what "phone home" garbage can I remove from Firefox?    Thanks all...<S>.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 08:03:20 PM »
Brave is another browser that's gaining popularity with people who don't like to be tracked to death.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 01:30:48 AM »
         Also...what "phone home" garbage can I remove from Firefox?    Thanks all...<S>.

There's not much, the most of it already has asked for confirmation during the first few runs. If you didn't pay notice to that, you can check it in Settings>Security etc.>How Firefox gathers and uses information (translated by me but you'll most likely find them).

Another thing is not to register to Sync and other Firefox online services. And if you further want to improve your privacy, set it to use the Privacy mode all the time and use DuckDuckGo as your default search engine and make FF delete all history and cookies at closing. They're all there quite easily to find.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 06:22:45 AM »
Also in Firefox, once you start tightening up your privacy settings, you'll need to manually make entries to allow cookies for the AH bbs, your bank, online shopping sites etc. Those feature buttons are just above Logins and Passwords. The AH bbs site is a good place to start learning/testing how those work.

Some websites can be a pita and require opening up to ALL tracking, just to review your latest doctor's visit for instance. Personally, that makes those unsecure sites as far as I'm concerned.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
For Firefox I recommend the ESR version. Too many feature experiments in the mainline which often require fixes after release.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 11:06:45 AM »
Is Firefox ESR Safe?
Firefox ESR is not ideal for most personal users. ESR versions of any software are generally slightly less secure than the release versions. This is because security patches for the ESR version have to be specially developed for these versions, since the ESR may not be functionally the same as the release version.
support.mozilla.org › en-US › questions

Kotisivuni

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 02:30:28 PM »
Thanks Bizman, ducktogo is my search engine as well, also I run 1.1.1.1 as DNS server with TLS (encryption)
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 07:44:59 PM »
ESR is the longterm "stable" version without feature updates, aimed at business customers/larger companies. Do you really believe it's less secure than the experimental standard branch?