Author Topic: Internet choices for Gaming/Streaming From the Sticks.  (Read 559 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Internet choices for Gaming/Streaming From the Sticks.
« on: February 07, 2020, 09:51:05 AM »
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm moving out in the country.

Where I'm going out in the sticks there's a very poor DSL option that neighbors say suxxors.

There's a Fixed Wireless option that folks says works fairly well but is expen$ive. The fixed wireless folks charge you ever increasing amounts for data.

The other option is Verizon Wireless streaming from my phone. It's 4G; probably won't see 5G out in the sticks for a long time. However, it is an area with very good Verizon coverage. So we are thinking a Verizon mobile hotspot and streaming everything from that. Not that much $$ to upgrade my current Verizon plan to the 'all you can eat' data plan.

Where I am now I have 30up/4 down DSL and am not far from the AH servers. Good pings. I also have DirectTV.

I am definitely cutting the cord on DirectTV and any other cable/satellite type service. Tired of 250 channels of Dr. Ho's Back Pain Remedy and Super Air Fryers. I am going all streaming. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix already. I'm hearing all I really need on top of that is YouTube TV and I'll be all set for live sports, etc. Would appreciate any thoughts on using those three or do I need more?

Now, the 'net. .

Should I go with that Fixed Wireless deal? 10down/5up/150GB free is about $50. 14/7/210 is $70. 16/8/240 is $90, 20/10/300 is $110, 25/12.5/360 is $130, 28/14/420 is $150. How much is enough to stream all TV/movies/sports/play games?

The all you can eat Verizon has these offers. We have 3 lines in the family. Am I going to be OK with Verizon streaming? What kind of mobile hotspot do I need. It's not really going to be mobile. It's going to be set up in the house and stay there. So what to do?

Thanks for your input!

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Internet choices for Gaming/Streaming From the Sticks.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 08:39:23 PM »
i have a Samsung s10e phone.  I'm not joking, i use up 20 gigs in about a week just browsing. no downloading of movies, hardly any YouTube videos.

it runs on Verizon.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 10:52:38 AM »
I live in rural Montana and also use Verizon, although mostly through a MiFi.  In my case the wireless signal is very weak, so I need an antenna on the roof, that feeds a signal booster which feeds the amplified signal to an in-house antenna.  The 4 G LTE is generally great for playing AH, latency on good days is about 70 to 110 ms.  Sometimes the signal is degraded for whatever reason, and locally at least, I think the Verizon network is sometimes overloaded and bogs down too.  Note that their "unlimited" Hotspot data is throttled down after you exceed their limits, eg 30 GB on their $65 plan.  We use the $55. plan.  I generally don't run out of data (in terms of the 4G limits), but can access hotspot data from both my phone and Mifi.    When one of my sons visits and uses my Mifi data it seems to run down pretty quickly.  I also notice that the one son who's phone is on my plan runs out of high speed data part way through the month.  So my best guess based on what your needs are Toad, is that you'll run out of high speed data on the Verizon plans, but if you decide to go with it I suspect you'll want to go with the $65 plan.  One good thing about Verizon is I've been able to change plans mid-month and back-date the change when I needed more data.

:cheers:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »
Thanks DaddyAce!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 02:10:23 PM »
I have the same antenna-booster-antenna setup as DaddyAce, also with Verizon 4G LTE, and get the same 70-110ms pings for AH.  Also used for browsing and the occasional youtube video.  We don't try to stream movies.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?