Author Topic: 150 processes windows 10?  (Read 645 times)

Offline DOUG

• Copper Member
150 processes windows 10?
« on: February 10, 2020, 09:22:09 PM »
Hey folks =) just started flying again couple months ago and am just getting around to wringing out all I can get FPS wise out of this computer with win10 (my 1st)
Is there really nothing we can turn off that it wont turn back on? Or did I miss read skuzzys pinned remarks? 53 processes on top, then the rest system processes.
1800 handles.
   Had my old vista very lean, This seems outta control.
   Suggestions welcome
thanks
                             elfy
"UsedToDoALittleButTheLittleWo uldntDoIt,So the Little gotMore andMore,JustKeepTryingToGet a littleBetterIsaid aLittleBetterThanBefore"...A.Rose
AK elfy-1st ArabianKnight recruited in AH- May 7,2000

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: 150 processes windows 10?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 11:27:36 PM »
Welcome back elfy!

150 processs running on Windows 10, is actually pretty good...... It is completely different in most aspects than all OSes that has came before it.....

Sorry I don't have more to offer outside of checking out www.blackviper.com 

Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 01:42:03 AM »
I have 114 processes running, including WhatsApp, Discord, Steam... And I've done nothing special to tame them, yet.

What I have done started from the installing process where I said No to all of the seven blue screen questions about gathering my data. Then I updated all Store Apps and uninstalled those that allowed it.

Then it was time to do something with the Settings:
  • Under System I disabled Notifications and Actions. Another option would have been to show them for Settings only.
  • Also I chose Desktop Mode only and Never Change in the Tablet Mode settings.
  • Under Personalization>Start only Show Apps List is on
  • Under Privacy>General everything Off
  • Speech, Inking, Typing all Off
  • Activity history Off
  • Diagnostics and Location should already be Off or Basic due to the blue screen disabling.
  • Under App Permissions there's quite a lot to do:
  • Camera: allowed for Camera only and if you don't have a camera you can disable it all.
  • Microphone: Same thing, Camera only similarly to above. Note that Desktop Apps have a section of their own, leave that on for AH at least to be able to communicate!
  • Voice Activation OFF!
  • Notifications Off
  • Background Apps all Off
  • There's others as well, at least I've disabled Edge to use any of my files under Files, Photos etc. There's some quite obvious targets to be disabled under various settings.
While searching for the English wording for the settings I noticed there's several sites about privacy settings for Windows 10. I guess there's quite a lot similar to my list, and probably more or at least more thoroughly explained.

Hope that helps!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 04:06:07 AM »
Nice Bizman..... Been a bit  since I last tweaked a Windows 10 Pro installation.....iirc,  I am thinking initial fresh install of the OS was something in the range of 185 to 192 processes running but I would need to do it again to refresh my memory, heh....

I know if you really tweak the OS you can get it down to around 91 processes.....but I doubt most will be willing to go that far

Appreciate your tips

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 09:02:23 AM »
Thanks TC, nice to read your comment since that's pretty much what I do to my customers' computers as well, especially when upgrading from 7 to 10.

What I like the most there is that all has been done by using the regular settings. Easy to explain to less computer savvy clients, yet giving them the feeling that they've got the full monty for their money.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DOUG

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 08:57:24 PM »
Thanks very much gents. Appreciate the help
"UsedToDoALittleButTheLittleWo uldntDoIt,So the Little gotMore andMore,JustKeepTryingToGet a littleBetterIsaid aLittleBetterThanBefore"...A.Rose
AK elfy-1st ArabianKnight recruited in AH- May 7,2000