Author Topic: Bomb-able runways  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Bomb-able runways
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:15:36 AM »
Would be nice to bomb a runway with any 100+lb ordinance and take it out. What it means is that the ability to take off in that direction on that runways is disabled for 15 or 30 or x minutes. It also means that you can still take off, but you'll have to use the hangar and you can still take off from and still use the runway - you now need to taxi to it.

So what I'm saying, all that happens is that the take-off direction buttons are red/grey'ed out for the duration. You can still land your kills on a runway, you can still take off from the runway, and the crater holes won't blow up your aircraft...but we're simulating a runway strike to slow down an enemy force.

Simple approach. Simple and effective military tactics! :aok
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Bomb-able runways
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:46:27 PM »
A-20 on the deck + parafrags! Awesome!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 12:57:48 PM »
The downside to this is that it would make a field hella easy to camp.  If we could take off from one of the other appropriate hangers, then it would more reasonable.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 01:07:09 PM »
I still bomb the runways on occasion.  You never know when you catch someone lifting.  :devil
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 01:11:49 PM »
Just kidding about this as I'd think it'd be a disaster akin the 24/7 HQ thing. But consider the possibilities! A-20 on the deck. Pull up at runway spawn. Kick out parafrags to max zoom. Circle at a distance and watch the show as guys spawn to take off wondering what hit them. That would be cool. Like once.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 03:21:01 PM »
Bombing runway,'s is something I have thought of myself. I like it. +1

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »
i always thought it would be kind of cool if the bomb craters at least were physical objects that would upset the plane rolling over them.
maybe prevent auto takeoff on bombed runways.

but it should take quite a bit to close a runway i think.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 04:48:23 PM »
If that option became a reality, then the Army Corps of Engineers or would be needed for repairs. 

Repair Facility
Cement truck
Bulldozer
Paver

First player would drive cement truck out to the craters and drop cement packages.
Second player would operate bulldozer and push cement packages into crater.
Third player would drive paver and flatten out pile of cement.

Runway restored.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »
yup, thats what we need is something to make it even harder for the newbies to take off.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 05:13:24 PM »
yup, thats what we need is something to make it even harder for the newbies to take off.
That's why what I was saying would be a disaster in game. But for like a scenario? Yeah that'd work.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 05:14:42 PM »

Or a reason to not take off. Most of these like comments are from bombers. A two sided war with a funneled fight zone to force everyone to fight sounds better than shutting down a run way to prevent uppers. That’s like the guy that flys p38 and f4s is that rolls in with a horde deacks the field and then cries on the board and 200 there are no fights in the game. But I’m sure the droves of folks are connected roll in any day now.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
Edit: got tree’d by Drano
Yea, maybe when we’re back to 2 arenas of 350 then it could be added for FSO and scenarios. This is a harsh place for guys coming back from breaks, new guys don’t need one more thing from keeping them up.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 06:58:26 PM »
i always thought it would be kind of cool if the bomb craters at least were physical objects that would upset the plane rolling over them.
maybe prevent auto takeoff on bombed runways.

Didn't one of the games  AW  WB  AH  ??   have that feature for a while?  I seem to remember craters in the runway that would wreck landing gear.  Or, is that just a nightmare?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »
Didn't one of the games  AW  WB  AH  ??   have that feature for a while?  I seem to remember craters in the runway that would wreck landing gear.  Or, is that just a nightmare?

I remember such stories from old timers of older games.  :old:

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 08:15:24 PM »
Instead of bombs disabling runways, maybe a large enough bomb would create a crater that you need to taxi around to takeoff