Author Topic: 1917  (Read 1580 times)

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« on: February 13, 2020, 03:10:36 AM »
Yall seen 1917? Its pretty good. First movie i watched in theater that i came out with a fulfilled feeling.

What do you think?

Dutch

DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: 1917
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »
Yall seen 1917? Its pretty good. First movie i watched in theater that i came out with a fulfilled feeling.

What do you think?

I also thought it was "pretty good."  It wasn't for WWI what Saving Private Ryan was for WWII, or Platoon was for Viet Nam.  Reminded me a lot of Dunkirk.

- oldman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 12:26:02 PM »
Not that the awards mean a whole lot in the grand scheme - but 1917 got shafted from a lot of those awards that would have given it much more recognition. Sadly war movies just don't do well in that group of voters.

1917 was one of the best war movies - and movies - I have seen in years.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 06:08:10 PM »

I also thought it was "pretty good."  It wasn't for WWI what Saving Private Ryan was for WWII, or Platoon was for Viet Nam.  Reminded me a lot of Dunkirk.

- oldman

I honestly cannot believe you feel this way. Platoon? Dunkirk? This film was the best war film in a decade and possibly the best film in five years. I must assume that anyone who does not feel the same way simply can't appreciate it at the level Sam Mendes means it to be appreciated. In that case, it is perfectly fine. But to those of us that can appreciate it for all that it is, simply adore it and applaud a cinematic masterpiece.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:07:58 PM »
There are so few films/tv series/etc about the First World War - compared to other wars - that I wasn't expecting much opening night.  I've seen it twice now, and can't wait for the home video release.  I was hoping for something that would match the last WW1 film I really liked (Red Baron 2008), but 1917 was so much more.  I can't believe how Mendes shot it, I'd love to see a "making of" documentary sometime in the future.  Something truly special, to me it was akin to how I felt during the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan over 20 years ago, but it lasted for most of the entire film with 1917. 

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 08:19:36 PM »
There are so few films/tv series/etc about the First World War - compared to other wars - that I wasn't expecting much opening night.  I've seen it twice now, and can't wait for the home video release.  I was hoping for something that would match the last WW1 film I really liked (Red Baron 2008), but 1917 was so much more.  I can't believe how Mendes shot it, I'd love to see a "making of" documentary sometime in the future.  Something truly special, to me it was akin to how I felt during the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan over 20 years ago, but it lasted for most of the entire film with 1917.

Red Baron was great in a very different way than 1917. Did you see They Shall Not Grow Old? I thought that was fantastic as well. This is also my favorite war (since Medieval anyway), so I am slightly biased. Still, I don't think I am wrong here. I can absolutely understand why someone would think "Oh, it was okay" and that is because they can't truly appreciate it because of a lack of knowledge. This is okay and understandable because WWI does not have a lot glamour and fame; it is a dirty, nasty, war which receives little attention in the United States. Thus, even for history buffs in America, it is not the favored war. So, it is perfectly natural to not fully appreciate what 1917 was. Like I said, for those of us that can appreciate it for everything it was, we can easily say that it is the best war film in recent memory and slightly earlier.

Parasite must be truly remarkable to beat 1917 as Best Picture.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 08:53:50 PM »
I must assume that anyone who does not feel the same way simply can't appreciate it at the level Sam Mendes means it to be appreciated.

Well, OK.  I'm sad I'm too stupid to appreciate genius.  Let me go back to playing with my bellybutton.

- oldman

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 09:41:26 PM »
Thought it was a great film. I had no idea on what was going to happen outside of the plot: deliver the order and save his brother. Everything else in the movie was a surprise and it surprise it did. It was THE Best War film in quite some time.

No way the current academy is going to give any war film an oscar, unless it delivers a clear Anti-War theme.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 10:32:18 PM »

Well, OK.  I'm sad I'm too stupid to appreciate genius.  Let me go back to playing with my bellybutton.

- oldman

I am sorry you took offense as none was intended. I qualified that multiple times explaining that is is perfectly understandable. My point is that they got it right. The big things and the small things. It felt like the war. It was on a small scale so it felt more intimate. The tiny details that WWI nerds look for were all there. It was brilliant not just because of the plot, action, and sounds. It was excellent because of the exhaustive research and work that went into making a brilliant Western Front environment. It was the best score you will hear since Gladiator (which also didn't win) which only added to the dramatic scenes we witnessed.

I hope you understand what I am saying as I am not putting you down and mean not to insult your intelligence or knowledge. I am sure you are quite knowledgeable in WWI and cinema. I want to clarify that very few people who watch it will appreciate it the way it is meant to be appreciated. That includes the Academy...
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »
WW1 was my first area of study regarding military history as well.  My pipe major in my first drill piping band was former army and a history teacher, James  McWilliams, and he's written several books on the first world war, some from a Canadian perspective, some not, and is considered an authority on WW1 here in Canada.  You should read his books Perdweeb if you get a chance, I can send them to you too if you want.

"The Suicide Battalion", "Gas, The Battle for Ypres 1915", and "Amiens, Dawn of Victory", are all fantastic.  I have a bunch of copies of each kicking around if you ever want them. 

They Shall Not Grow Old - should have included this as well.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2020, 03:32:24 PM »
The one on Amiens would be nice, I have read journals on JSTOR and have heard one lecture from Adam Hochschild in undergrad (about studying Americans in WWI and the dangers thereof) on Amiens. I have never studied Amiens in great detail and would enjoy the chance to do so.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2020, 07:48:37 PM »
At the Sharp End Volume One: Canadians Fighting the Great War 1914-1916
The first comprehensive history of Canadians in WWI in forty years, and already hailed as the definitive work on Canadians in the Great War, At the Sharp End covers the harrowing early battles of 1914—16. Tens of thousands, and then hundreds of thousands, died before the generals and soldiers found a way to break the terrible stalemate of the front. Based on eyewitness accounts detailed in the letters of ordinary soldiers, Cook describes the horrible struggle, first to survive in battle, and then to drive the Germans back. At the Sharp End provides both an intimate look at the Canadian men in the trenches and an authoritative account of the slow evolution in tactics, weapons, and advancement. Featuring never-before-published photographs, letters, diaries, and maps, this recounting of the Great War through the soldiers' eyes is moving, engaging, and thoroughly engrossing.

Shock Troops: Canadians Fighting The Great War 1917-1918 Volume Two
Shock Troops follows the Canadian fighting forces during the titanic battles of Vimy Ridge, Hill 70, Passchendaele, and the Hundred Days campaign. Through the eyes of the soldiers who fought and died in the trenches on the Western Front, and based on newly uncovered Canadian, British, and German archival sources, Cook builds on Volume I of his national bestseller, At the Sharp End. The Canadian fighting forces never lost a battle during the final 2 years of the war, and although they paid a terrible price in the killing fields of the Great War, they were indeed, as British Prime Minister David Lloyd George exclaimed, the shock troops of the Empire.

Fantastic books by Tim Cook
https://www.amazon.ca/Sharp-End-One-Canadians-1914-1916/dp/0143055925

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »
I liked 1917.  The story was good.  I believe they put a great deal of effort to make it authentic.  I think you walk away having a better sense of the experience they went through.  :aok
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 02:10:11 PM »
Because of y'alls comments, I will definitely have to watch this movie now. I'm glad that war movies are still cool as Hollyweird has completely gone off the deep end. (Parasite??...really???) what a joke. No wonder why they had the lowest ratings of all time at the Oscar's. What a bunch of Loonys.

I found this band this weekend. Then found this song with an amazing video. Apparently it's a group of films taken during WW1. (Except the first film according to the description was from a movie made to depict it.) Pretty crazy stuff. I don't know a whole lot about the first world war. But it seems like a very brutal war. Couldn't imagine. Amazing how big of balls these guys had.

https://youtu.be/4kg2bpkPLEc
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 08:14:07 PM »
Loved it!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton