Author Topic: smoke limit?  (Read 764 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
smoke limit?
« on: February 21, 2020, 07:08:18 PM »
Was defending a coastal base that was being shelled by a cruiser and battleship.  Decided to try laying down smoke to obscure their view of the base structures.  So upped an LVT4 and drove to the coast and fired 20 smoke shells.  Upped again and some of the smoke shells were duds.  Upped again, and more duds -- the first few were good, then several duds, then a few more good.

Is there a limit to the number of smoke shells that can be "active" in a given area?  (Seems like there would be.)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: smoke limit?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
I've seen that happen. Makes me wonder if other people can see the smoke or not

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 03:10:28 PM »
Would make sense? How ever, its probably more along the lines of Smoking Hangers and objects. Depending on view angle, sometimes you see it sometimes you dont. :headscratch: Figure that it would really be hard for some computers to render thick smoke all the time...kind of like clouds can?
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 03:58:08 PM »
Not sure but how long did it take u to reup?
Smoke does not really last that long
 :salute
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »
It wasn't that it didn't last, it didn't do anything.  I could hear the gun shoot, but there was no shell detonation and no smoke.  (For some shots, others worked normally.)
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 04:15:08 AM »
It wasn't that it didn't last, it didn't do anything.  I could hear the gun shoot, but there was no shell detonation and no smoke.  (For some shots, others worked normally.)
I stand by my previous answer....only thing that I have experienced  :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 03:06:09 PM »

Do smoke shells work on water? The shoreline as far as what is land and water arent always what you see with your eyes.  Just a thought that they may have landing in water.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 07:35:00 PM »
Turns out, they do work on water.   But some are also duds on water.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 09:56:29 AM »
Did some testing last night at a remote base in the MA.  There does seem to be a limit to active smoke shells.  At first it seemed like the magic number was 32, but another test had different results.  Anyway, not really important, just wondered if others have seen the same thing.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 02:35:26 PM »
Do smoke shells work on water? The shoreline as far as what is land and water arent always what you see with your eyes.  Just a thought that they may have landing in water.

I know it did at one time,I smoked an enemy CV once just for laughs.It got close to a port and I fire a bunch of smoke shells as far as I could,should have heard vox. Some thought it was PT's laying smoke....Hmmm wonder where they got that idea.

:salute