Author Topic: Scenario Plane limits  (Read 608 times)

Offline akbmzawy

• Copper Member
Scenario Plane limits
« on: February 23, 2020, 03:28:26 PM »
Why are the bomber rides limited?

Bomber pilots may see the write up late, then decide to register, and see the bomber ride of their choice is full.  Their choices are to log in to the event and take pot luck or avoid the whole enchilada and go elsewhere.

If 20 people want to go in B-26s, let em have them. I understand side balancing but some of us do like to fly bombers.  Sometimes bomber registration may have been insufficient in the past.  Why turn away players who are dedicated bomber pilots?

There are many slots for fighter pilots.  They need targets.  We love to shoot them down----it crushes their egos.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Scenario Plane limits
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »
We won't turn away pilots.   If there are more bomber pilots who want to fly than there are bomber spots, we'll work something out.

However, the side sizes are based on what we have recently been getting in scenario attendance.  In the past couple of scenarios, we've been getting about 6-7 bomber pilots on game day (not counting me and the guys I fly with, who are fighterbombers in this one).  In Winter Sky, we have 8 bomber slots in total.

Offline akbmzawy

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 10:27:17 PM »
I guess I don't understand your reasoning, if pilots wont be turned away then why set limits?

Not knowing the whole picture my question is simple. Why set limits?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:33:38 PM by akbmzawy »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 11:35:34 PM »
If you have no limits on plane types, you can get 50 allies vs. 10 axis; all pilots in whatever is the favorite plane on a side with no one in the less-favored planes; all bomber pilots on one side or the other; etc.

That works against giving the event a historical plane mix; it is not balanced; and you can't come up with a scoring system that is even side to side.

Instead, we estimate how many people are probably going to be in it, judging from the past several scenarios.  Then we put in the various plane types that were there, in ratios that make it both historical and balanced.

If more bomber pilots want in than there are available spots, we can add bombers proportionally on each side and adjust scoring proportionally.

If there are more fighter pilots who want in than there are available spots, we'd add more P-47's and more 109G-14's and/or 190A-8's equally to each side.

Offline akbmzawy

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 06:16:07 AM »
That explanation explains my question better. Thank you.