Author Topic: Move kill spam to its own channel  (Read 8381 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Move kill spam to its own channel
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:46:28 PM »
It would be nice if we could still have HOST messages available without the constant scroll of kill spam interfering with the other more useful messages.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Move kill spam to its own channel
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 03:08:10 PM »
2nd that!

Shame to have to turn off the landed kills  messages to kill this new unexpected host noise that no one seems to have aked for

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 03:09:16 PM »
A very emphatic second!!!!! Please do this.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:37:19 PM »
Shame to have to turn off the landed kills  messages to kill this new unexpected host noise that no one seems to have aked for

Respectfully disagree.

There's a balance here.  When you publish only the kills, you reward vulchers and pickers and the vulching pickers who land and rearm and go back to pad their scores.  I think it's nice to see how often the same people fail.

Hey, reasonable minds can differ!

Reflecting on what I just wrote, I have this clarification:

I regret that I wrote this as a reply to Eagler's post, and may thus have created an impression that I thought Eagler was one of the picking vulchers.  Nothing could be further from reality.  Eagler is, and in my experience has always been, one of the finest pilots in this game.  He has no need either to vulch or pick.  Nor have I ever seen him do so.

This is proof, believe it or not, that the oldman has a conscience.

Otherwise, the post stands.

- oldman
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:31:21 PM by Oldman731 »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:48:13 PM »
We all know you were not referring to Eagler.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 07:51:54 AM »
 :aok
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
<S> Oldman

Thanks for the kind words.. but ...

I do pick and vutch with the occasional HO thrown in there :)

Who doesn't?

For us who don't need or want the new noise filling the text buffer there should be a way to turn it off without having to turn off more important info like icon, trim, etc settings also.

<S>

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »

For us who don't need or want the new noise filling the text buffer there should be a way to turn it off without having to turn off more important info like icon, trim, etc settings also.

So how did you manage for the first 5 or 6 years of AH when we had it and way more people?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 09:47:01 AM »
Sorry but I don't recall that - what almost 20 years ago?

Maybe better as I had not experienced the difference without it?

Glad some seem to appreciate it.

Just not for me and if HT can provide a way to  turn it back off that would be great.

If not I will tolerate it

<S>

Eagler

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 10:01:04 AM »
Sorry but I don't recall that - what almost 20 years ago?

So it obviously wasn't painful enough for you to remember it as a catastrophic problem back then. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 10:01:46 AM »
So it obviously wasn't painful enough for you to remember it as a catastrophic problem back then. 

I don't see it as catastrophic.  Personally I'd leave it on in its own channel like it is now.  I just don't like that it clutters the other HOST messages I use on a regular basis.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 10:27:24 AM »
Who said it is catastrophic? Lol

I asked for an option to turn it off as it interferes with the way i like to play the game

Glad you seem to like it - I don't

<S>

Eagler

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »
Who said it is catastrophic? Lol

The goobers throwing themselves on the floor flailing their arms and legs threatening to close their accounts if Hitech doesn't remove it.   :rofl

You didn't say that, but at least some see it as catastrophic.   :rolleyes:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 10:45:30 AM »
The goobers throwing themselves on the floor flailing their arms and legs threatening to close their accounts if Hitech doesn't remove it.   :rofl

You didn't say that, but at least some see it as catastrophic.   :rolleyes:

The undercurrent I get from their posts seems to be 2 things IMO.  One, they're looking for an excuse to leave, and/or two, they think it encourages some kind of playstyle they don't like.  I don't think it would have a material impact on how people play the game, but they seem to think so.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2020, 11:04:57 AM »
I don't see it as catastrophic.  Personally I'd leave it on in its own channel like it is now.  I just don't like that it clutters the other HOST messages I use on a regular basis.

I can somewhat understand your reaction.  By your join date you might not have bee here when we used to have it.  But new players coming from other games would probably find it weird if we didn't have kill msgs.

However, by your use of pejoratives like "spam" and "clutter" you are implying that the kill messages are less valid system host msg than others.  Hitech might disagree.  From a social engineering standpoint, they may be more import. 

I think an argument could be made for color coding categories of system msgs to visual differentiate them more?
Yellow for kill msg? 
Blue for capture/object damage msg?
Grey for action verification like bomb door opened?

But to me, the kill msg seems as valid as any of the other current system msg, maybe more.

It worked well in the early days until we got to about 500 players.  Hmmm come to think of it, maybe the beginning of the decline correlated with the removal of it.  Hmmm, interesting.   ;)