Author Topic: Move kill spam to its own channel  (Read 8384 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Move kill spam to its own channel
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2020, 11:58:50 AM »
No, I was asking what the downside to the players would be.  Any player can answer that if they can think of one.  Obvious downside to HT is more work to program it.

Again ask Hitech, it doesnt matter what any of the rest of us think about it.

I turned kill messages on in the melee arena. They had been turned off do to buffer flooding when we had +400 people in an arena.

My suspension is it will have a significant game play impact.

HiTech

It looks like he thinks it will have significant game play impact. If it is removed it may lose that impact. The "too much work" point may be something to ponder. None of us know what kind of programming it would take to add the option to turn off ONLY the kill messages.

I think its a good thing for the game as you "see" all the players getting kills instead of the same dozen "aces" landing their kills. It gives a new player a sense of accomplishment that EVERYBODY sees.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2020, 12:48:35 PM »
I like it being there it's interesting to see who is on fire getting aces. :rock
Though I have set Tabs in the chatbox I can select to filter channels if it's too busy.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2020, 12:57:58 PM »
So the next question is have stats like total killer kills/he changed as a result?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2020, 03:49:15 PM »
I would if I did not lose all the other info!!   AGAIN, WHAT IS THE DOWNSIDE TO MAKING IT OPTIONAL???????????????  No one has answered that.

You said it was useless. Now you are saying it is not. Are you female? If so.... I give up.  :rofl
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2020, 12:00:47 PM »

"It looks like he thinks it will have significant game play impact. If it is removed it may lose that impact. The "too much work" point may be something to ponder. None of us know what kind of programming it would take to add the option to turn off ONLY the kill messages.

I think its a good thing for the game as you "see" all the players getting kills instead of the same dozen "aces" landing their kills. It gives a new player a sense of accomplishment that EVERYBODY sees."
[/quote]

Again,
Don't remove it, just make it a separate check box from the other system messages.  That way we can still see gun down, hanger down, etc system messages along with country messages in one window in a readable format that does not scroll by so fast it is unreadable.  Make the default that it is checked and you have to open settings to uncheck it.  Again, what is the downside to the player if that is implemented?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 12:02:40 PM by mustng2 »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »
Please list the messages you do not wish to be in the system category.

If those are important I think I'll move them to the center screen with the time out. I.E. Doors open displays for a few seconds in your screen center, where things like auto take off are displayed now.

HiTech

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2020, 01:26:49 PM »
Sounds like it is worth a try.  Thank you for considering the change.

The info I would like in the center screen

Ground object damage (hanger down for 15, gun down for 45 etc)
Who I shot down
Who shot me down
Field captures

Getting the display time at the sweet spot of not too long or not too short sounds tricky, but I think it would be an improvement. 

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2020, 08:29:07 PM »
Please list the messages you do not wish to be in the system category.

If those are important I think I'll move them to the center screen with the time out. I.E. Doors open displays for a few seconds in your screen center, where things like auto take off are displayed now.

HiTech

Why not just roll back to a revision before the text buffer got screwed up.  Problem solved

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2020, 09:20:48 PM »
Why not just roll back to a revision before the text buffer got screwed up.  Problem solved

Because many of us enjoy the new setting?

- oldman

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:36 AM »
Some like seeing the kill messages, some don't.  Just add a check box to make it optional.  Everyone is happy.   :banana:

FWIW, I'd rather have the current setup than new "center screen" messages.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:55:47 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2020, 08:17:50 AM »
Some like seeing the kill messages, some don't.  Just add a check box to make it optional.  Everyone is happy.   :banana:

FWIW, I'd rather have the current setup than new "center screen" messages.

Agreed.  But if the additional check box is not possible for some unknown reason, the center screen thing sounds like an improvement.  But making it an option rather than every one has to have it would be best.  It would be a major improvement if just the single user messages that only go to the individual player like gun down, xxx shot you down, etc are separated from the group messages like the individual kill spam.  These are already treated separately and apparently recognized as a different message since they only go to one player.   
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 09:00:12 AM by mustng2 »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2020, 10:37:39 AM »
having those messages pop up in the middle of the screen while I'm trying to track a target would seem far more invasive than the kill message in a second window.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »

This is the rolled back version
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2020, 01:46:13 PM »
having those messages pop up in the middle of the screen while I'm trying to track a target would seem far more invasive than the kill message in a second window.

Definitely.  Popups in center screen would be awful in combat.

If it were me, I'd like the kill messages as their own channel, free to put in its own window, and the other host messages as they were.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2020, 02:28:48 PM »
Having the kill spam in its own channel to be turned on or off at the individual player discretion is certainly the best possible solution and as far as I can tell has not been opposed by anyone.  However, the center display was the only option offered.  You would only get the popup when you killed someone or something or a field is captured, so I think it would be manageable.  But, again, it would be much better if it is the player's option.