Author Topic: Stick scaling  (Read 641 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Stick scaling
« on: March 22, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
Have always had mine at the the top all the way across. Since coming back it’s like i can’t make any move without the plane falling out of the sky. I’m starting to get to the point with it that it’s not worth playing. Any ideas would be great.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Stick scaling
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 05:30:55 PM »
Fly loops at different speeds, min to max, to regain a feel for aircraft limits.

Try the default scaling on the pitch axis.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:33:49 PM by FLS »

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 10:18:59 PM »
This works for me since returning;

I have the furthest left scale (0%) at halfway down and  reverse "logarithmically" curve the scale to 40% at 0% at the top. Looks something like this. I put this on both elevator and ailerons, takes the sharpness and the bounce out of my aging CH stick.

0   10  20  30  40 50 60 70...
                      _   _   _   _
                _

_

_

_

"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:01:14 AM »
One thing to know is that many usb sticks spike full with very little movement the first few times you pull it.

Bring up your windows stick dialog without having moved your stick that day and you will see what I mean.........if you own a stick with potentiometers made by thrustmaster.      Work it around slowly and watch how it settles down.   

I'm not sure if other manufacturers's sticks do this in windows from a fresh boot.

If it did, calibrate your stick then because your original calibration may have been done before it settled down.

I also F3 out of a plane sitting on the runway or hanger and watch the control surfaces because it is actually a pretty good indicator.

In warbirds, a few of us authored a sticky thread with screenshots of good ballpark settings and the settings we prefer.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 10:11:58 AM »
Some sticks self-calibrate every first use after being off. Just go full deflection on all control axis before your first flight.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
Thanks all, will looking into everything suggested. I’m using an X52 pro, less than 6 months old and wasn’t my first choice and will have to live with till work gets back to normal. Had an x52 before for 10 years and it started turning off and on randomly, but was great till then. Could turn with almost anything while flying the F4U-1A, not so much in the current situation. Often look like a flopping fish.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 10:20:03 AM »
That's a contactless sensor so it shouldn't be spiking. If practice and scaling doesn't help let me know.

For testing purposes you can try flying with the stall limiter on. That can create some bad stick habits but it keeps you well within the AOA limits.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »
I had a x52 Pro, and it went nutty pretty early on and I got a refund. Could be faulty and may be worth having a look at the raw data numbers after calibrating it.
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 02:53:05 PM »
Combination of everything here helped, scaling, checking my controls from f3 andflying the loops and Sik1 got me in the right direction on some things in the TA. Thank you very much everyone!