Author Topic: latest Win10 Version Interference w\ AHIII  (Read 9853 times)

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
latest Win10 Version Interference w\ AHIII
« on: March 01, 2020, 02:16:04 PM »
Hi All,

I just recently had the game shut down by Win 10 (1909 vers, OS build 18363.657) when trying to start it saying the game was not allowed to start due to it not being the right version so it refers the user to get w\ the game producer for assistance.

It is now appearing to arrest the AHIII Updater when a new version is ready to be applied so Win 10 won't allow it to run.
Had to go to HTC site & download the full new version install package to update AHIII to the latest version for Win 10 to allow it to run.

I know this is due to a very recent Windows upgrade but haven't a clue as to which 1 it is that is interfering w\ the AHIII updater written into the game client that when 1st started looks on the servers to see if there is an update available.

So be on the lookout if you're running Win 10………………………not a AHIII bug issue...….MS is back!

FYI...…….
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
Re: latest Win10 Version Interference w\ AHIII
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 03:22:30 PM »
Update:

It's getting more weird. Since going the full installer route to update AHIII to get around the Win 10 issue, that has fixed the game starting & running & all that....but now since doing all this my MSI Afterburner software (thus HWINFO 64 as well) overlay will not hook & start up when starting AHIII to either DX9 or DX11 version as before but will still hook into the AMD Radeon Adrenalin Settings interface when it is executed & all settings within both utility software's setup are still intact & operational within Windows so from all this it looks like Win 10 may have some issues concerning DirectX (which can be the cause for AHIII not being allowed to update itself as well as the AB\HWINFO64 utility software to hook & run as it does this thru DirectX.....)

Checked the game's temp folder for any created .dmp files but the latest date found was for a .dmp file created on 1-1-20 so nothing was created from the game side to have any influence on this issue at this time thus another piece of evidence that the issue is related to the OS-side...…..

Stay tuned...…………..……..
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 05:59:06 PM »
try updating msi afterburner, and your radeon software, and your video drivers also.

ah3 runs just fine for me on the latest windows update. im wondering if one of your other programs is interfering.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »
try updating msi afterburner, and your radeon software, and your video drivers also.

ah3 runs just fine for me on the latest windows update. im wondering if one of your other programs is interfering.

All are the latest versions running. This is clearly Win 10 interfering w\ the AHIII client auto updater routine on my box. Never had it do this ever until now (been running Win 10 for 3 yrs+ so not new to it), so it's most likely due to some Windows Update that got installed. Was thinking it was Windows Security related (embedded in Win 10) but AHIII (both Dx9 & Dx11) is still checked to be allowed to operate unhindered (but Windows updates this embedded security software regularly so it may still be suspect). My read is that MS wants all software to adhere to the "Windows Store" routine for "security reasons". I'll find out if this was an outlier on the next AHIII vers update...…….

Once I downloaded the full game software install package from the AHIII web site & installed it (to get the latest updated version of AHIII) Win 10 was happy now & all is running well. Now as far as the issue w\ my latest versions of AB & HWINFO64 not hooking into the latest version of AHIII when it starts up now so my overlay will appear, again this is due to an issue related w\ DirectX (also embedded in Win 10)….have been here before (why I updated all to latest versions before this happened as everyone has to try to keep up w\ MS to maintain backwards compatibility w\ Dx9 & Dx11.....if MS had it's way all would be forced onto Dx12 API). I use these 2 softwares for monitoring purposes only (all control is thru AHIII game client\AMD Adrenalin Settings\drivers thru the OS) so it's no big deal if it's not hooking right now.....it'll get sorted out.

I have noticed w\ this latest AHIII vers update something has indeed changed....for the better as I noted that the in game FR has jumped higher when running the Dx11 version on my RX Vega 64 vid card w\ Enhanced Synch enabled driver side. The 3503 vers would run at native monitor RR of 144 Hz (so 144 FPS), now this latest 3507 vers is exceeding the native monitor's RR & is running at 166 Hz or 166 FPS. This is due to AMD's Enhanced Synch now being allowed to unsynch from the monitor's native RR & max out the vid card's ability to process (as Enhanced Synch is coded to do) but still maintain tear free graphics (which it is doing, also as Enhanced Synch is coded to do). Now this could be from Hitech making improvements in the Dx11 version to enhance VR graphics operations that my RX Vega 64's drivers are picking up on (nothing wrong w\ that at all if it is what is occurring as the game does need to move forward) which the latest versions of AB & HWINFO64 can't hook into....yet. But this is the same client software coding used in the Dx9 vers as well (AB & HWINFO64 can't hook into this 1 either now) so the issue IMHO isn't related to the game client per se but it is related to the Windows 10 OS as it handles all Dx calls from the game client then translates them to the AMD vid card drivers (where the AB\HWINFO64 software hooking takes place) to execute so the issue is centered around the OS, not the AHIII game client.

Now this FPS improvement is a good result to have but the OS interference w\ the game client's auto updater routine isn't & this has nothing to do w\ any other software except the OS & AHIII's auto updater routine. I highly suspect a Windows Update that is related to some new security measures that decided that AHIII's updater routine is a "security threat" so it wouldn't allow the game to run to update itself. It would allow the update to occur the old fashioned way so the OS can run it's security checks (as well as any 3rd party anti-virus software running) on the download package before installation (allowing the game software to erase\write files to itself & thus to Windows).

I posted this to bring awareness to this development as I have never seen this behavior before from Win 10 concerning AHIII as others, depending on which version of Win 10 they're using & how they've set it up as far as security goes, may run into this sometime down the line.

:salute

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »
FWIW I'm running the latest updated version of Win10 /64 pro with all drivers updated as of yesterday. Latest versions of AH working fine.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »
This is funny from my perspective since I just upgraded from Win7 to Win10 two weeks ago and could not get my CH products to work for a while in AH3. Now I'm at fault for forgetting I needed once in windows then in the game to calibrate the stick and throttle. Once I did my analog axis showed up and worked but not my buttons.

I discovered the internal file format for Win7 jsm files were different than Win10 jsm files. You cannot just copy over the files. Then I discovered even with the default files and manually remapping buttons, the mappings did not save in the jsm files in the Settings folder. Ended up during the install all the files were set read only by Win10. Fixed that and the ownership in all the folders. Still no joy on being able to save button mappings. Then I hit the default button and the jsm file settings from the stickdef folder did stay mapped.

So I opened the two CH files from the stickdef folders and manually updated my button mappings from the Win7 definition files. Then when I hit the default settings button, my mappings stayed permanent. Win10 I'm finding is Oh so overly helpful.....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:45:05 AM »
Well it's not an outlier situation on my box...…...Win 10 is interfering again w\ the AHIII Auto Uploader.....will not allow the game to auto update to the newest version.

Gonna do some digging to see if I can find where the issue is coming from...…………

FYI.

In the meantime I'm gonna need to download the full install of 305 vers 9 to update the game on my box if unsuccessful but link on home page is still linked to 302 vers 11......needs updated.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:54:02 AM by Pudgie »

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 01:39:44 PM »
https://youtu.be/48Zs96zZfrY

Here is a video of what I'm talking bout.

PS--In the meantime until I can find the cause for this on the OS side, I need to get a full copy of the latest version of AHIII (3.05 Patch 9) to download to my computer THEN update the game from my HDD side to get around this......this needs to get updated on the AHIII home page of the web site as the link provided is not the latest version of the game (3.05 Patch 7...this has already been updated & installed prior).

Question....is this issue due to the game client being compatible to be run on Steam thus Win 10 is picking up on this (I don't use Steam at all) & refusing to let the game's updater run (thus not allow the game itself to run) since it is trying to communicate w\ the AH servers to initiate a game client upload to update the game client on the computer's HDD?

I've checked both Windows Defender & Webroot SecurityAnywhere anti-virus software on my end & verified that both aren't interfering w\ this at all so this particular issue is directly a recent Win 10 OS issue in that it doesn't like the AHIII updater comms w\ the AHIII servers when a game client update is available for downloading...won't allow the built in AHIII updater to run to update the game client from the AHIII servers BUT will allow the update to take place once a full version is physically downloaded from the AHIII servers to my HDD then run from there to update the game client (the old way the game used to be updated).

I already know that if I download the full game client to my hard drive before execution of it this gets around the Win 10 "watchdog" & allows the game to be updated & then run w\o issues (did this the 1st time I encountered this).

Waiting...………………..…………..

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 02:13:28 PM by Pudgie »

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »
Try running as administrator. I would also consider taking ownership of the install directory ... speaking of which where is your AHIII installed?

I had a similar problem switching from the steam version to the direct download version. I had to make sure all AH installs where removed from my system and I had to reinstall to C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III. DO NOT install to C:\Program Files (x86) Windows UAC acts like a psychotic crazy ex girlfriend over this and the windows folders.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 03:17:02 PM by Mayhem »
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 04:45:31 PM »
Try running as administrator. I would also consider taking ownership of the install directory ... speaking of which where is your AHIII installed?

I had a similar problem switching from the steam version to the direct download version. I had to make sure all AH installs where removed from my system and I had to reinstall to C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III. DO NOT install to C:\Program Files (x86) Windows UAC acts like a psychotic crazy ex girlfriend over this and the windows folders.

Hi Mayhem,

I only recently ran into this issue on my end (1st happened back in March during AHIII 3.05 Patch 7 update to 3.05 Patch 8) & this is the 2nd time it's occurred which makes it to not be an outlier type of issue. I've never used or ran Steam. I have the game installed to my E:\ drive and not on my C:\ drive since I switched to Win 10 some 3 yrs ago and have been running/updating the game this way w\o issue thru several Win 10 version updates since then until March. Have already tried the administrator route w\o success. Have also went back thru most of the Win 10 updates I've installed (have it set up to download but not install any until I have a look at the update to see if it is something I either want or need before letting them install) and can't find anything that may have something to do w\ this so from my position the only thing I can deduce that since the AHIII client has been made to run under a Steam account that somehow the current version of Win 10 Home (vers 1909) I'm running is now detecting the AHIII game client's updater software when it comms to the AHIII servers upon the initial startup of the game and detects a new version of the game client software to be downloaded then Win 10 shuts the game down and displays the message shown in the video I recorded.

The 1st time this occurred the link was current to the latest version on the AH home page so I just downloaded the full version of the game to my HDD then ran the update w\o issues and Win 10 allowed the newly updated game to start up & run as normal so I know it isn't the game client software itself that Win 10 is squawking over....it's the new AHIII updater software embedded within the game client package that Win 10 is stopping by shutting the game down when Win 10 detects this updater software trying to run after it detects a new game version update package to be sent from the AHIII servers to the game client so that it can be run to update the game client software to the latest version.

This time Hitech hasn't provided a link to the latest version full download (3.05 Patch 9) to use to get around this issue (have already checked the link several times....links to the same 3.05 Patch 7 full download which I already have). Don't know why this hasn't happened yet......or maybe this is rescinded due to going to the updater route to accommodate Steam usage along w\ non-Steam usage? Looked thru all the announcements & found no notice of this being the case so I assume that he's still providing access to the full download version...……….

I made the video to post so that folks would see what I was referring to.

I might try to move all to my C:\ drive to see if Win 10 will then let it run thru but at this time I highly doubt it will.

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 11:18:18 AM »
Some Ideas .....

https://appuals.com/fix-this-app-cant-run-on-your-pc-error-message-on-windows-10/

https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-this-app-cant-run-on-your-pc-error/

https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/this-app-cannot-run-on-pc.html

Have been a little busy since last posting but thanks for posting these.

I have tried them all w\o success....Win 10 on my box just will not allow the AHIII updater to run (thus won't allow the game to start up) since it detects a new software version update of the game to be auto updated. Will only allow a full install version to be downloaded to my box then allow the update to happen.

If the link to the full install version was updated on the AHIII web site home page so that I could download it this would have already been resolved for me but it hasn't so I will send Hitech a PM as he may not have seen this.

Thanks for the help!

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2020, 02:44:19 PM »
Got all resolved!

Thanks Hitech!

:cheers:

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2020, 01:52:07 PM »
Update:

FYI.........

I have since updated Win 10 Home to vers 2004 from vers 1909 & I still get the OS interference to not allow AHIII to auto update itself thru the AHIII Updater on my box.....only thru downloading the full AHIII vers install onto my box THEN install it can I get around this so this is my path going forward until I get around to doing a clean reinstall of Win 10 brought up to the latest vers to then see if this corrects this........

Just to report the steps:

When I started the game up & clicked to sign in, I got the dialog box that informs of an update to AHIII is available (the sign in tags the AHIII server in which the updater looks to see if there is an update available then sends the notice to the game client if 1 is available....which my OS also sees). Then when I click on it to process the AHIII auto update it starts to initiate it then the OS stops it & displays the dialog box that I recorded & attached in an earlier posting in this thread...............

The issue IMHO is most likely located w\ some Windows OS security update downloaded\installed back in late Feb\early Mar but so far I haven't isolated it yet.....nor have I really pushed into resolution since due to it being far less of a hassle to just download the latest full AHIII vers download to my box then let the AHIII installer run the update from there since my CenturyLink ADSL service is much improved now & I updated my MSI mobo's LAN drivers to the latest version (this latest AHIII update was done within 20-30 mins from start of download to finish\restart of game) so it's not the hrs long wait this used to be.......especially w\ this Ryzen 9 3900X CPU on a X570 chipset equipped mobo over a GigaBit LAN......

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 02:06:09 PM »
I'm on the same version of Win10. All updates. Not having any issues with AH.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group