Author Topic: latest Win10 Version Interference w\ AHIII  (Read 9788 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: latest Win10 Version Interference w\ AHIII
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2020, 04:39:28 PM »
I'd wager it's leftover SecureAnywhere processes.

Pudgie I'd have a look at the webroot site, they have tools for properly removing secureanywhere.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2020, 01:39:59 AM »
@Vulcan, FYI the Anti-virus Removal Tool I mentioned earlier has "all" of the dedicated manufacturer tools included. They can be started either from the dropdown menu or from the Tools\<brand> folder. Apart from that it does a scan so you know which tools to choose. Further, a new scan will also tell if there's any leftover after using the removal tools.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
Cool, @Pudgie have you done what bizman said? Coz you should.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2020, 03:57:30 PM »
Hi All,

Been a little busy lately taking care of other items of interest..................... ..

@Vulcan, FYI the Anti-virus Removal Tool I mentioned earlier has "all" of the dedicated manufacturer tools included. They can be started either from the dropdown menu or from the Tools\<brand> folder. Apart from that it does a scan so you know which tools to choose. Further, a new scan will also tell if there's any leftover after using the removal tools.
I have done this....the included Webroot uninstaller did wipe all leftover traces of WebRoot directories but also as Bizman has stated it didn't touch the registry at all......and am still seeing AHIII being blocked (inbound traffic from the AHIII servers to my box only). All AHIII outbound traffic goes thru as it should (traffic from my box to the AHIII servers & have verified all this thru running Command Prompt). I had tested Webroot before I deleted it to see if it would block AHIII if it wasn't set up to allow it to pass thru & it would (outbound traffic...verified thru Command Prompt) so I kinda don't think that the Webroot AV was the culprit here......I can be wrong but from all that I have tested\checked to date prior it doesn't point to Webroot.

TC,

#1--Yes using the default firewall settings as set up by Centurylink (using 1 of their ADSL modem\Gbit LAN routers since I can't get these locally anymore) & haven't had any issues from it outside of overheating it once due to cooling air access restriction.....rectified & operating fine since.
#2--Yes...the Windows 10 Security suite includes Windows Defender so it's all 1 complete fully native AV suite package now
#3--Yes I did. When I installed Webroot SecureAnywhere it sets itself up in tandem w\ WSF so they were intergrated....Webroot handled all outbound traffic itself (remember WSF sets outbound traffic to allow all) while monitoring the inbound traffic (WSF sets inbound traffic to block all & only allows any inbound traffic if there exists a rule in Inbound Rules that allows individual processes to pass thru) thru the WSF. In this config Windows Defender resorts to the usual malware detection routines. Now w\ Webroot removed Windows Defender is now doing malware AND AV detection\quarantining\removal as well.

Yes w\ both Webroot removed & Windows Security disabled (working w\ Hitech personally) AHIII was still getting blocked from the AHIII servers to my box. Hitech then had me to go thru my web browser (MS Edge), connect to his servers that download the game patches and the terrains\arenas to download the very same stuff that the game client is requesting (thus removing the game client as the front man & using MS Edge web browser as the front man) to the game client then the game will start up & run just fine & the game will then patch up & run just fine. MS Edge is a web browser that will usually traffic thru the default HTTP TCP port 80.
Since Hitech knows that his servers are set up to use the default HTTP TCP port 80 to send any data from them to the game client then he (thus now me) knew that this port is somehow being blocked on my end. All outbound traffic from my box to AHIII servers is going thru over different ports (would need to so that his servers can support all the players outbound traffic to them).

I've checked all (AHIII is set up in the WSF inbound rules to be allowed passage & I have tested WSF to see if it would intercept AHIII if it wasn't set up.....it did so the inbound firewall shows to be working) so from this my issue either has to 1. be Windows OS itself blocking the TCP port 80 access to AHIII specifically for some reason or 2. be Windows OS has become infected w\ a virus\trojan--ransomware--that got thru both Webroot & Windows Security and has attached itself to AHIII & blocking TCP port 80 access to AHIII specifically holding the client ransom. I can't see any AV software doing that to a known, archived program. Also can't see this happening from my router's end (have also checked my router's logs....no instances of any traffic being blocked or stopped across any ports, much less TCP port 80) or my NIC (have checked here as well...couldn't find anything out of sorts & have updated the NIC drivers to the latest drivers to use their default settings....all works just fine).

All other processes that generate outbound\inbound IP traffic thru WS operate just fine.....only AHIII is blocked & only AHIII inbound traffic is being blocked--not AHIII outbound traffic..........

While checking the active connections thru Command Prompt after trying to run AHIII I kept seeing a consistent IP outbound just after I start up AHIII from my box's IP address establishing to an unknown IP network later identified as ntwk.MSN.net which is the same network that hosts Win 10 telemetry.....later when I remembered what WHOIS Lookup was for I then ran these IP addresses that the -f command in CP couldn't identify thru WHOIS & found that they are registered to MS Azure....their cloud services. I don't use MS Azure for anything (used when a Microsoft account is created\setup & I haven't created 1 on my box) so this is weird unless some part of Windows Security accesses\operates thru Azure....thus was suspecting some rogue behavior of Win 10 involving MS Azure.....I found there was a Windows Update that came out after my issue had occurred that addressed some found security concerns within Win 10 but after running it it didn't resolve this either.

I also found several rule entries in the WSF outbound\inbound rules that were tied to my box's computer name (TEAM RED) for allowing passage that I didn't make so this also points to either Win 10 going rogue or some virus\trojan infection. I removed all of them, reset the WSF firewall then tried AHIII w\o success so this didn't clear the blockage either (but indicates the existence of some malign process within the OS).

I also have reset\reinstalled Win 10 2 times to date on my box....1st time I still had Webroot installed & active, 2nd time I had deleted Webroot & had ran the Webroot uninstaller within the Antivirus Tool prior running it. Both times the issue w\ AHIII still persisted after the reinstall thus indicating that the reinstall won't touch this issue as long as it is setup to keep files & programs intact during the reinstall so the problem is located strictly within the OS proper on the C:\ drive thus also indicating that this issue is either 1. a rogue Windows OS issue created by a rogue Windows update specifically attacking AHIII client only or 2. a virus\trojan infection acting as ransomware that has hijacked AHIII client only.....from my perspective.

In the video I posted in this thread you can clearly see the dialog that shows up right after clicking to start up AHIII is a registered Windows 10 graphic stating that I needed to check w\ the publisher of the software being blocked for an updated version thus is indicating that the Win 10 OS is the 1 doing the blocking.....why it's doing this is the question.....to software that has been installed\operating on it just fine for quite some time prior to this.

I have always known that a drive format then OS fresh install\program reload would have rectified the issue initially (will also "clean out" the registry as it will be in virgin state), was for once trying to track down, find the source & resolve it w\o going thru the hassle of a full blown clean install since I have the time to devote to doing the legwork but it's looking more likely that I'm going to have to wipe her out & reinstall all fresh to stop all this foolery around AHIII.........

I haven't started this yet as I have been busy doing other things but will get around to this at some point.

:salute

PS--I also have a tendency to type a lot of text as well so I have to pay attention to not blow myself up, too.   :D
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2020, 03:59:45 PM »
May your persistence pay off and thank you for keeping us informed.  :cheers:

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2020, 04:30:16 PM »
Since Hitech knows that his servers are set up to use the default HTTP TCP port 80 to send any data from them to the game client then he (thus now me) knew that this port is somehow being blocked on my end. All outbound traffic from my box to AHIII servers is going thru over different ports (would need to so that his servers can support all the players outbound traffic to them).

I've checked all (AHIII is set up in the WSF inbound rules to be allowed passage & I have tested WSF to see if it would intercept AHIII if it wasn't set up.....it did so the inbound firewall shows to be working) so from this my issue either has to 1. be Windows OS itself blocking the TCP port 80 access to AHIII specifically for some reason or 2. be Windows OS has become infected w\ a virus\trojan--ransomware--that got thru both Webroot & Windows Security and has attached itself to AHIII & blocking TCP port 80 access to AHIII specifically holding the client ransom. I can't see any AV software doing that to a known, archived program. Also can't see this happening from my router's end (have also checked my router's logs....no instances of any traffic being blocked or stopped across any ports, much less TCP port 80) or my NIC (have checked here as well...couldn't find anything out of sorts & have updated the NIC drivers to the latest drivers to use their default settings....all works just fine).

You should not need to setup any inbound rules for AH3. Outbound rules should be sufficient. Outbound traffic to HTTP (outbound port 80) is stateful, and both Windows firewall and any router/firewall device will accept inbound traffic automagically.

It does sound like a malware infection that has hijacked outbound port 80, and is acting like a proxy that simply doesn't know what to do with AH3 as the source for web traffic requests. Windows Security (Defender) is pretty arse as far as detection of new threats goes. Defender itself has become the vulnerability itself that gets attacked from time to time. But Webroot has a reasonable good reputation so it is a bit odd it didn't pick anything up.

Best practice these days is to use a NGAV (Cylance, Carbon Black, Crowdstrike etc) and leave Defender running for signature detection's on older known malware.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2020, 12:14:44 AM »
Windows Reset. Done.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »
Windows Reset. Done.

Hi Chalenge,

Just got done doing this..........checked to ensure reset actually did anything......verified OS was cleanly reset\restored then reinstalled the latest version of AHIII over top of current install (to install a missing MS distributable that AHIII needs to run & to update the install into this fresh OS as I have the game loaded on a separate drive from C:\) before I installed anything else then ran it to see if all was resolved.

1st, I had to set the WSF to allow the game thru the firewall (using the native Windows Security suite & as stated in prior postings, WSF is set up by default to allow all outbound traffic unless a rule is set up to block individual traffic & block all inbound traffic unless a rule is set up to allow individual traffic......when game 1st starts up it connects to AHIII servers for ACK on sign in....the sign in wasn't blocked due to me already using the latest vers game patch) then I tried to go into several arenas......the game was verified still being blocked on my box from downloading terrain files\connecting from\to all arenas that I hadn't already physically downloaded terrain files from AHIII servers into the AHIII game client (this is how AHIII client operates...when clicking on an arena to enter the client reads the arena server to see which terrain it's using then looks within the ah3terr folder to see if the terrain is there & if it isn't then will try to download it from the AHIII arena server before entry....it is this action only is what is getting blocked) thru MS Edge web browser using the link that Hitech provided me so the reinstall of Win 10 Home 2004 thru Windows Reset function also didn't resolve this issue either.

Unless I'm missing something though, this exercise IMHO pretty much removes the possibility of a virus\trojan infection as the culprit so it seems to be clearly related to be a Win 10 OS issue on my box.....most likely something to do w\ security concerning apps & from this point this is at the base OS level as I haven't installed any apps or updated any drivers yet. All traces of Webroot SecureAnywhere AV that was installed prior have been verified removed this time....including the Windows registry so as I thought prior, Webroot AV wasn't the culprit.....this now confirms that.

As also stated prior this also isn't due to the Windows 2004 version update as this started occurring on my box during Windows 1909 vers in early March, 2020 & from the graphics of the dialog box displayed it points specifically at the OS as the blocking agent.

Once I physically go around the AHIII game client thru my web browser & get any necessary terrain files or game patches downloaded to my box then install into the AHIII game client then the AHIII game starts up, signs in, connects & runs just fine........so why is the OS out of the blue, specifically preventing this AHIII client software from initiating downloading of game patch updates & missing arena terrain downloads is the issue of concern as otherwise the AHIII game client operates\comms to the AHIII servers within the OS on my box just fine.......

Now I'm gonna be getting all set back up as I had it all prior as I know that none of my apps\programs\drivers are contributors then continue from there.

Ongoing.................

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2020, 05:22:37 PM »
Sounds like you might be infected with a rootkit virus, Pudgie

These types of virus have a way of hiding in your system memory

I have had  successfully used "rKill" in removal of a rootkit virus from a friend's computer....

Only thing I can think of outside a full blown reformatting that drive and starting clean

Good luck with it

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2020, 07:59:55 PM »
Sounds like you might be infected with a rootkit virus, Pudgie

These types of virus have a way of hiding in your system memory

I have had  successfully used "rKill" in removal of a rootkit virus from a friend's computer....

Only thing I can think of outside a full blown reformatting that drive and starting clean

Good luck with it

Thanks for the tip, TC!

I'll look into that.

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2020, 09:20:45 PM »
Update:

Looked up rKill software on their web site......little stand alone software that doesn't need to be installed so I downloaded it & ran it.

Says box is clean in generated scan results text file (shows no running malware, rootkit or virus instances found on drives, in memory or in Windows registry).

So from this we're back to square 1...........

FYI,

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »
Following along with this. Really odd it's just part of AH it doesn't like. Hope you get it squared away.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2020, 06:31:15 AM »
Pudgie - While working on computers have found that rootkit virus can be stealthy.

Warning: When dealing with potentially virused computer drives, I like to keep any other computer used to scan drives unplugged from the internet while scanning/cleaning.

I initially try to back up data to external hard drive, then scan the external hard drive with anti-virus on another pc to make sure backup data is clean (usually not).

Typically I remove infected drive from pc and scan it with another pc to detect and remove virus. Also consider windows user names and passwords can hinder recovering user data from a operating system drive while connected to another computer in this configuration.

So to me the easiest method is to back up all data, scan and clean backup data with another computer, and delete all partitions on infected drive and either let windows or your favorite drive software make new partitions.

I've had good luck with Kaspersky TDSS Killer to detect and remove these viruses if the drive operating system must be recovered for some reason (like making backup of data).

Make sure the scanning pc is not connected to internet when you connect it to a potentially infected drive.

Typically there are some annoying artifacts/settings left in operating system by the virus after it's cleaned so I recommend delete all drive partitions and do fresh install.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 06:37:37 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2020, 07:29:58 AM »
The Kaspersky TDSSKiller is free and a program like Belarc Advisor can capture all your software activation codes and system data.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
Instead of scanning the hard drive in another computer I've used a bootable USB stick running a Linux based virus scanner. Eset, F-secure, Kaspersky are what I've used.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni