Author Topic: Considering a Surface Book2  (Read 477 times)

Offline dallash

• Zinc Member
Considering a Surface Book2
« on: March 04, 2020, 05:42:28 PM »
I have been playing using my Microsoft Surface Pro while at the lake, and it's meh, but not great. It GV's OK, but is frankly a little sketchy on a busy night flying bombers.

I have a GTX970 at home that does everything I want it to and then some, and the Surface Book 2 has a GTX 1060 with 6GB.

I am just wondering if it will be comparable to my desktop (or at least close) at home if I use the new MS Surface Book 2 for my "away" PC.

Any thoughts? I am not too smart when it comes to graphics chipsets.

Thanks in advance!

Dallas

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Considering a Surface Book2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 06:45:09 PM »
I ran AH3 with a home made desktop using the 3 GB GTX 1060 version.  It ran fine  for flying, needed to turn graphics settings down a bit  or would get some frame rate drops,  but was always playable.  Depends a lot on the demand of your monitor.  The 1060 did well enough with my HP 1440p monitor.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 10:02:49 PM »
Mobile CPUs and GPUs are not the same as the desktop models.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 01:58:45 AM »
Mobile CPUs and GPUs are not the same as the desktop models.
True, but they've come closer due to better energy efficiency. In a recent review I read that the new Nvidia mobile graphics are surprisingly close to their desktop versions. AH is a lightweight game compared to many others so the specs of the Surface Book 2 mentioned should be sufficient with a lower resolution than the native one. At 3240 x 2160 most games would be sketchy, something like 2160 x 1440 or lower should be playable.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 12:27:53 PM »
the main issue with gaming on the original surface pro was actually a heat issue.

i had a surface pro i7 with the 620 integrated gpu. framerates in aces high were inconsistent at best. regular dips below 60 fps.
for reference my same year lenovo laptop with an i-5 and 520 integrated gpu ran 80-100fps all day long. even with the slower processor and gpu it was significantly more stable.

of course on the mobile gpus i was turning some eye candy off, but even my old 940m powered laptop will maintain better than 60 minimum at all times with everything turned on.

the surface book 2 has mostly solved the thermal issues from what i can tell, but i haven't gotten to play around with one for long.
and should have plenty of grunt for playing AH3.
my bet is the book 2 is fine, and would compare favorably with your desktop, especially if your not sitting it on your lap while playing aces high.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:34:47 PM by toasted »
"fly as far as you can into the crash"