Author Topic: RFC: Aces High Film Archive  (Read 1212 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
RFC: Aces High Film Archive
« on: March 09, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
I really enjoy the videos players post here.  There is a lot of talent here and getting videos on Youtube can't help but increase the discoverability of the game.
I have noticed however that is is more rare for players to post their AHF files.  And when they do, this forum is not the ideal format for finding them, searching attachments, etc.  It can be done somewhat, but mostly you have to have seen it before the post scrolls off the front page or it's forgotten.

Edited video is great, but raw AHF has a lot of value too.  You can really learn a lot from having the AHF and being able to play and replay and watch from different angles and positions.  I feel there is a lot of lost gold on peoples hard drives that isn't being shared effectively with the community.

I'm at a weird point in my career where I am needing to retool my skill-set for future opportunities.  My current skill-set was prime 11 years ago, but I made the mistake of staying at one company too long and getting stuck on one product.  Now I am getting geared up on a new upcoming tech stack that I am excited to learn Microsoft Blazor.  It is a responsive web client technology similar to things like Angular and React except....you know, in a real language.  ;)

I have been trying to pick a demo project in this new tech for a resume portfolio.  Employers are more impressed if you can show them an example of what you can do instead of just reading your resume.  It's a better way to learn too.  You can only read for so long, but to really learn something you need to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty.  I've had a hard time picking an interesting project.  It has to be constrained enough that it is feasible for me to do by myself,  but interesting enough that it will really show off my coad Kung Fu.  Most of the suggestions I've seen are derivative or boring.  I refuse to burden the world with yet another uninspired To-Do List app.  :rolleyes:

I started thinking of project that seemed interesting and as a side benefit might provide some value to this community.  I was thinking of building a AHF film archive website.  Players would create an account and they can upload their AHF files.  Each file is given an description, thumbnail image, and tagged with various keywords to make the archive structured and searchable through a query interface.

So you might login and see a list of the most recently uploaded films, but go to the search and look for film newer than 6 months that involve bomber intercepts so you can study some technique.  You can read through the description and view the thumbnails and find one that looks interesting and click to download it.

Or you might just query all of Floob's films to study his mad moves. etc.

I'd take uploaded film and compress it and place it in Azure blob storage. I think that is cheap enough that I could provide a couple of gig compressed storage to each account.  That should be a lot of film.  2gb compressed storage should hold like 3.5-4gb raw film.  Some limit is probably good to encourage people to curate their archive and only put up the good stuff.

This would all be provided by me free of charge to this community.  It would be a great learning project and a useful resume portfolio example. 

It would allow me to demonstrate a full stack of skills from web client UI, to account management/site security, to database manipulation, to cloud services.  What would make it really valuable is if it is a living project that people are using daily and getting value out of.  That would make it more impressive to potential employers.     

Is this the kind of thing anyone would be interested in using?  Would you guys find any value in this?  Am I totally in the weeds here?  Would it just get ignored?

Thanks for your feedback.

:salute 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 09:17:45 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
Re: RFC: Aces High Film Archive
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 05:33:28 PM »
I think it's an interesting project, but to be honest (and no offence HTC) the film viewer would need a little tweaking before it'd be usable for me, I do make films for FSO each frame, but dread working with the film viewer to get a screenshot for the thumbnail, the viewer tends to crash several times before I can scroll to the scene I need, especially if that scene is towards the end of the film.

I do realise it's working quite hard, and captures an amazing amount of data (more than we even have access to!), but I think we'd all agree it is a little hard to use.

Some keyboard shortcuts would be a great addition, even space bar for pause / resume in full screen mode would be great.

An interesting comparison I found a little while ago was getting the AH1 film viewer working to capture some footage from some old AH1 films, I did manage to get it going on Win10, but it would crash trying to go more than a 1024 x 768 window, but scrolling was instant, you could click the timeline bar of the film anywhere, and there was no hesitation, it'd go right to that spot and play, dragging the bar back and forth was also instant, and no crashes!

Of course the AH3 film viewer does a lot more work (and the show saved views is just brilliant!), and I was running the AH1 version on a machine undreamed of in the AH1 days, but it was surprising how responsive the old viewer was.

I think a lot of content makers would be grateful for some added stability in the current film viewer, I know I'd use it a lot more if it was.

I wish you luck with the project however, interested to see how it goes!

Salute

Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
I love the idea itself, but also feel the Film viewer needs some love or it would just be a waste of time.

I learn better watching films. You can look at the fight from different angles, the other plane and so on. I have always loved viewing films. I STILL, after all these years (since tour 21) film all my fights and watch them on Sunday with a coffee to see if I can spot a way to do it better. I have in the area of about 300 films, even some way back from Leviathan and agent360. Films are a great learning tool and having a place to find them with ease would be great.

But again, the film viewer needs a lot of work.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »
I love the idea itself, but also feel the Film viewer needs some love or it would just be a waste of time.

I learn better watching films. You can look at the fight from different angles, the other plane and so on. I have always loved viewing films. I STILL, after all these years (since tour 21) film all my fights and watch them on Sunday with a coffee to see if I can spot a way to do it better. I have in the area of about 300 films, even some way back from Leviathan and agent360. Films are a great learning tool and having a place to find them with ease would be great.

But again, the film viewer needs a lot of work.

Out of curiosity, how much disk space does your archive of 300 films take?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 09:38:21 PM »
I think it's an interesting project, but to be honest (and no offence HTC) the film viewer would need a little tweaking before it'd be usable for me, I do make films for FSO each frame, but dread working with the film viewer to get a screenshot for the thumbnail, the viewer tends to crash several times before I can scroll to the scene I need, especially if that scene is towards the end of the film.

Thanks for the feedback, Steely.

I have no control over the Film Viewer itself.  That's above my pay-grade.  But I can tell you this: the AI/mission system was in a lot worse shape a year and a half ago  when I started WW1WF, than it is now.  There have been a ton of bug fixes and lots of exciting new capabilities added. 

During that time I pestered him with lots of bug reports and "suggestions".  With detailed, precise descriptions with exact steps to reproduce and dmp files when available.  He didn't spend time in the mission system so he doesn't know what needs fixing unless people bring him actionable information. 

So maybe this project can also kickstart an dev cycle on the Film Viewer.  I'll start as soon as possible pestering him "suggestions" , and with bug reports with information that can help him by doing as much of the detective work as possible so he can get right to the problem.  ;)  The more detailed information you can provide, the easier it is for him to fix stuff.  I'm sure he doesn't spend a lot of time working in the Film Viewer, so he needs us to help identify and narrow the worst problems.  But some things might just be design trade-offs.  Bu certainly any crash should have a dmp file that would help him track down bugs.

Also, on my site, I'll probably add a tips and tricks section documenting the Film viewer as I learn it. It it documented some more.

"Brick by brick, my fellow citizens, brick by brick."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:10:06 PM »

Out of curiosity, how much disk space does your archive of 300 films take?

I lied, I only have 256 films saved :)

Of course some films are short, just the action, others are whole dueling matches of 5 fights and so are longer. For the 256 I have it's 800MB

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 10:40:31 AM »
I think this is a fantastic idea, and potentially the beginning a great learning tool.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2020, 11:14:03 AM »
I lied, I only have 256 films saved :)

Of course some films are short, just the action, others are whole dueling matches of 5 fights and so are longer. For the 256 I have it's 800MB

Awesome.  So if I gave each account 1gb of Azure storage and compressed your data, that would be like having 1.6-2gb storage.  That should be enough even for an extensive archive like yours.  Totally doable.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »
I think this is a fantastic idea, and potentially the beginning a great learning tool.

Cleaned off my desk and am starting the new project today.  :D

:aok
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:42:04 AM by CptTrips »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 06:59:30 PM »
Sounds cool

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals