Author Topic: Upgrades???  (Read 2764 times)

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
Re: Upgrades???
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 07:58:10 AM »
My power supply just crapped out and needs to be replaced. Not ready to do the whole system yet, but need a good recommendation to get this fixed. Haven't had my fix for about a week and going nuts.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 11:11:10 AM »
Depends on your power requirements now and in the future.

I have been using evga power supplies on the last few machines that I changed PS on.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 11:20:33 AM »
I am having an issue finding anything in stock. Seems to be 1 week minimum on orders. Current PS is 650W and wanting to stay in that range as it should work for my future plans as well.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 11:47:19 AM »
Seasonic is one of the most reliable manufacturers at the moment. They both design and build them, also for other brands.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »
Seasonic is one of the most reliable manufacturers at the moment. They both design and build them, also for other brands.

I have a Seasonic in my current rig. Offhand I don't know all of the PSUs that are rebranded Seasonics but off the top of my head I believe Corsair is at least one of them.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
I upgraded my vid card from 1 Asus hd 6850 to a Geforce 950 . As you might see in this vid if the graphics have improved I cant see it. Latest drivers and settings tuned up. One thing I did notice from the Nvidea software is that This game isnt optimized for this card or vice versa. Video used to be my bottleneck now maybe its my 60hz monitor

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
I upgraded my vid card from 1 Asus hd 6850 to a Geforce 950 . As you might see in this vid if the graphics have improved I cant see it. Latest drivers and settings tuned up. One thing I did notice from the Nvidea software is that This game isnt optimized for this card or vice versa. Video used to be my bottleneck now maybe its my 60hz monitor

The bottleneck on my system is behind the keyboard.  :D

However.... this is about power supplies.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »
My power supply just crapped out and needs to be replaced. Not ready to do the whole system yet, but need a good recommendation to get this fixed. Haven't had my fix for about a week and going nuts.
Is your computer a store bought one or custom built? I only ask as sometimes OEM Dells and HPs and the like use proprietary parts so they can't be replaced or end up being super expensive.

Sadly it's a really crappy time to buy computer parts, I've seen many PSUs sold out due to mfg. being halted because of COVID.

I'd look at EVGA PSUs personally. Always have had good luck and can't beat the warranty.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »
Is your computer a store bought one or custom built? I only ask as sometimes OEM Dells and HPs and the like use proprietary parts so they can't be replaced or end up being super expensive.

Sadly it's a really crappy time to buy computer parts, I've seen many PSUs sold out due to mfg. being halted because of COVID.

I'd look at EVGA PSUs personally. Always have had good luck and can't beat the warranty.

Custom build.
treekilr in game.   

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »
Your best bet right now might be to find a friend with an extra PS to use till this stupid shutdown is over for those not so fortunate.

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 01:59:12 AM »
I have a Seasonic in my current rig. Offhand I don't know all of the PSUs that are rebranded Seasonics but off the top of my head I believe Corsair is at least one of them.
Finding out who actually makes a certain PSU can be tricky. Corsairs have been made by Channel Well, Chicony and Flextronics - and Seasonic. The manufacturer can change even within a certain model series, I remember reading a review about one whose lowest and highest wattage models were made by a more reputable manufacturer than the models in between.

The UL number which usually begins with an "E" followed by a string of numbers and is located below a logo looking like a mirrored UR can reveal the secret. There's also lists and databases about brands, models and manufacturers but for what I've found they're from 2014 or earlier.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2020, 04:30:43 AM »

correct me if I'm wrong, please....

but anyone else downloading an ingame film (film114.ahf) will not show them your view of the game, it will show them their view from their own GPU

you would need a video to show us the different views of your old 6850 compared to your  Geforce 950....

as for PSU's...  Seasonic is your best bet!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
You wanna look for the Seasonic Focus GX (formerly known as Focus Gold) but not the warmed-up M12-III which is rather outdated tech but cheap.