Author Topic: P-38 pilot interview  (Read 488 times)

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
P-38 pilot interview
« on: March 13, 2000, 06:45:00 PM »
Dogfighter.com has interviewed Bill Starke who flew P-38s in the South Pacific during WWII with the 44th Fighter Squadron (Vampires).  He worked his way up over 18 months and eventually led the squadron in operations.

He served in the Air Force Reserve after the war and retired with the rank of Lt. Col.

This is a must read for anyone into the real history of aerial combat.  Audio files of the interview are made available, too.

Check it out!
Gian "phaetn" Vitzthum
Managing Editor,
Dogfighter.com

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
P-38 pilot interview
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2000, 09:28:00 PM »
  Phaetn, thanx for posting this heads up!

FWIW, I earlier purchased a copy of Bill Starke's squadron history of the 44th.  It's a good quality reproduction done last year.  The link for Mr. Starke's e-mail is on the page (as the fine print says, the book cover is the link).  Cost for me was $39 + 3.50 S&H.

"Vampire Squadron" is a squadron history of the 44th flying the P-40 and P-38 in the South and Southwest Pacific.  If you enjoy squadron histories or are a P-38 enthusiast, I recommend you pick up a copy while you can.  The reprint quality is good (not great, since I expect some of the photos were of better quality in the original edition).  But, well worth the money, and I'm glad he went to the trouble to have it reproduced so I could acquire a copy.  Has some interesting stuff, such as the photo of a P-38 air ambulance, with patients carried in modified drop tanks!  I like histories with maps, so I appreciate the good job he did in including maps, especially copies of the strip maps used on the missions.

Another nifty feature is the inclusion at the back of the book of a copy of the brochure Lt. Col. Westbrook wrote for the 347th Fighter Group.  It's a six page treatise on combat flying, with diagrams.

Offline ordy

• Zinc Member
Re: P-38 pilot interview
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 01:10:58 AM »
Bill was a good friend of mine and sadly passed away recently.
For more photos of Bill check out my FB page 44th fighter squadron-WWII