Author Topic: Rift S FOV and loss of engine sounds  (Read 859 times)

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
Rift S FOV and loss of engine sounds
« on: March 23, 2020, 09:54:53 AM »
What are you guys setting your FOV to with Rift S headsets?

Also, I've been running into an issue. After I remove my headset then put it back on my engine sounds go away sometimes. I can still hear all other sounds, it's only engine sound that goes. Anyone having this or have a fix?

Thanks
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Rift S FOV and loss of engine sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 10:16:12 AM »
FOV is fixed to look natural, it's not adjustable.

You can check your sound assignments but I can't think of any reason for just engine sounds to stop.

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 11:15:18 AM »
FOV is an adjustable setting under the Video tab on AH3 opening screen. Are you saying it is fixed and therefore has no effect on the Rift?

EDIT: I just experimented with 60 degrees and then 140 degrees and, like always, you are correct FLS, it appears to be fixed.

Thanks for the info
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:39:50 AM by WpnX »
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:40:45 AM »
That setting is for monitors. The game uses the FOV of the headset. To change FOV with a headset you'd have to have that option in the headset software.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 11:42:54 AM »
Yeah about my only knock on the RiftS is the relatively narrow FOV compared to some other VR headsets. But then again if you want one with wider, say 120 ish, you're gonna pay out the wahzoo for it. Twice what a RiftS goes for currently.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 11:44:47 AM »
Oh and the engine sounds thing. I gotta think on it but I remember this happened to me like the fist time I used it in AH. There was a cure for it but I forgot. Either somebody will chime in or it'll come to me. Was something simple. Hasn't happened to me since.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 11:54:34 AM »
Did it have anything to do with the sounds.cfg file in the settings folder? Engine sounds can be set in game...
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 03:01:15 PM »
If you are using Challenge's New sound pack....you lose your engine sounds as you described. They come back on, next flight :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »
If you are using Challenge's New sound pack....you lose your engine sounds as you described. They come back on, next flight :uhoh

I’ve got Callenge’s new sound pack and also experienced that each time I took the VR headset off.  Wonder what’s causing it and if there’s an easy workaround?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 03:49:02 PM »
I don't have his sound pack, but it also hasn't happened again all week (loss of engine sound).
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 04:42:30 AM »

Can you name an airplane this happens to? Does it also happen outside of VR?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2020, 03:12:16 PM »
Can you name an airplane this happens to? Does it also happen outside of VR?
:uhoh The ones with NEW Sounds...well most, at least the ones I fly. Spitxvi,ix...P51d,P51b,P47n,m,D-25,D-11, P38s(all 3).As far as outside VR, I will check for you as I am Fulltime VR and have to get my TIR found and set up
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2020, 05:31:54 PM »
If that's the case I'm having trouble believing it's the way I set up the sounds. Let's see if anything changes after I modify the startups.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline pelota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »
This sound thing happens to me as well: I normally fly the Niki and when I take off the headset (oculus rift cv1) and put back on, the engine restarts, then the engine sound comes back on.  At times, though, when I have taken off the headset multiple times during a mission, the engine sound does NOT restart and you hear everything else, EXCEPT the engine sound.  It is like when someone shoots your engine and you have no sound.  You clearly have a working engine, just no sound.  I have not figured this one out!