Author Topic: Oculus Rift Headset  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Oculus Rift Headset
« on: March 23, 2020, 06:14:39 PM »
Sound has quit coming through the earpieces.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Oculus Rift Headset
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 06:26:23 PM »
Did you check the sound assignments in AH?

Does sound work in Oculus?

Is the cable loose?

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 07:20:10 PM »
Also, did you upgrade your nVidia drivers lately? Notorious for overwriting your audio settings for Oculus.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »
And seems their software updates change sound devices around too. Might want to check there. If there's a virtual sound device in there that just kind of appeared that's why. Just disable it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:10:31 PM »
...er...did you check your sound settings to be sure they're on "Headphones (2-RiftS)?

I confess that I was puzzled by that for a long time....

- oldman

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »
You've probably got multiple sound devices. Every time I want to switch from my Artic7 to the Rift I must "Open Sound settings" and activate the headset I want. I have the sound on two monitors disabled so they don't randomly engage.
When I was using both consistently, I had found a way of assigning the right one to each application. Lost that ability when I moved and didn't plug everything back into the same previous ports.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »
Thanks gents!  I found the issue in the AH game sound settings.  W10 started doing an update when I turned the computer on.  So, I’m assuming it reset what I didn’t want reset.  I haven’t been on the computer/VR for three weeks. Everything worked fine then.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 11:00:56 AM »
Annoying isn't it? Had to go to Win10 to go to VR. But jeez the way it randomly changes stuff harkens back to when my kids were little and we shared a PC. Every time I sat down to it I'd have to unravel whatever they'd done to it. The good news is unlike back then when the kids did that almost daily the updates don't roll in like that! Oculus software updates do the same stuff with the sounds. Think I read the other sound device it insists on installing pertains to the Quest and link that I don't have! Great idea homgenizing all of the software for all the devices rather than device specific versions.I don't think any other device I have has drivers like that. They're all specific for that thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline AlbertSk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 11:37:57 AM »
My sound has totally gone out. Headband issue. It would sometimes reconnect when i'd jiggle speaker. Theres reports that connection in headband that feeds headphones has been prone to fail. Using ear buds instead. 

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 11:40:33 AM »
I never liked the speaker and mic on the oculus. I popped mine off and put my headset mic combo that I had always used. Works great.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
FWIW I've never had a problem with the mic on the RiftS like it going out or having robot voice. No issues at all. The headband sound I found rather lacking so I got a set of Mantis off the ear headphones that clip onto the headband they're way better. They adjust in lots of directions that should suit anyone including a detent that keeps them away from the ear so you don't have to tune out what's going on in the room.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DubDubz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »
This is a known issue with oculus rift headsets, the wire that comes from the the eyepiece raps from the speaker the left, if you slide your headset adjustment in and out too many times is wire may break or come loose. There are some fixes online but it requires disassembly of the headset..

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »
FWIW I've never had a problem with the mic on the RiftS like it going out or having robot voice. No issues at all. The headband sound I found rather lacking so I got a set of Mantis off the ear headphones that clip onto the headband they're way better. They adjust in lots of directions that should suit anyone including a detent that keeps them away from the ear so you don't have to tune out what's going on in the room.

My RiftS will just SELF MUTE. Work fine for a few hours.(3 ish).hear a click, get a stutter,,,,NO MIC (always at about hour 2 plus on squad night. 12:15 ish which is why I said every 3 hours or so..lol). Have to restart everything including Windows to get it working...I just use my old Earphone/Mic with it now :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »
Yep. Seen it reported on the Oculus forums many times. Really wierd that it affects some and not others. If affects enough you'd think they'd come out with a fix for it. But their focus these days seems to be more FB-centric rather than any fixes actually for the headsets. No support at all I can safely say so far this year for the RiftS. All about FB and the Quest. My issue is with overall performance dropping off since their December software revisions where they homogenized their software across all the headsets.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 09:53:07 PM »
My sound has totally gone out. Headband issue. It would sometimes reconnect when i'd jiggle speaker. Theres reports that connection in headband that feeds headphones has been prone to fail. Using ear buds instead.

I had this issue, I 'fixed' it with a Bluetooth headset. My Rift is 3 years old and has taken a beating.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:58:19 PM by Vulcan »