Author Topic: Is KOTH chess or checkers to you?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: Is KOTH chess or checkers to you?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 05:37:28 PM »
With my ridiculous lack of skill; chess - no; checkers - no. Slaughter House - got it.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 07:29:11 PM »
I don't understand where this 'I have to be a great dog fighter to fly in KOTH' thinking comes from.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2020, 06:22:56 AM »
I don't understand where this 'I have to be a great dog fighter to fly in KOTH' thinking comes from.

I used to think that until I tried it last year and realized anyone can have a good day and get lucky enough to win it.

It isn't about that as much as the plane  match up and honest dog fights you get.

Some of the best fun AH has to offer IMHO

See you tonight

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 07:07:07 PM »
What's this wrabbit you guys keep referring to?

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2020, 11:04:49 PM »
We 'affectionately' call people who have won two rounds wabbits. They win another round and the event ends. If we have wabbits, we have wabbit hunting, the only time you can gang up on a person.
Killing wabbits keeps the event going, giving you more dog fighting fun and a chance to win yourself.

What's this wrabbit you guys keep referring to?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2020, 03:34:16 PM »
Thanks for explaining.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 06:05:12 PM »
Cold, a new player to KOTH, wanted some tips and I remembered this thread so giving it a gentle nudge into view, risking the 30 day limit. Then again I think I saw a necro-post bump from 2000 a day or two ago. Now THAT's an old post  :rofl

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2021, 02:11:47 AM »
No-joy is just a way of giving everyone some space to begin the round.   For the host it is like herding sheep, players like to drift too close and some too far away.  You have to hope that everyone is trying to start on a level playing field.   KOTH does promote dogfighting and furballing but both of these things are rarely "fair"  you have to accept you will be "picked" or targeted, you have to get on with it and if shot down there is always another round.   

Some players and wabbits in the past have tried to take advantage of it like flying towards a feared opponent calling no joy on them, so they cannot engage that person until after their first engagement with someone else.  I would argue that is not in the spirit of the no-joy rule but it hasn't happened to me often. 

Wabbits are just that,  being one means sucking it up and preparing for everyone to come at you.  Being dogpiled is an honour and usually creates some interesting multi contact fights.  It is actively encouraged to hunt the wabbit (the rules differ in regards to this) in order to prolong the event.   You still have to give them No Joy airspace but when fight on is called having 2-3 players attack them at the same time is fair game.   Just watch your six at all times as i've witnessed some comic turn of events from god mode where opportunitist shots end up meaning the wabbit escaping and still killing everyone.   I'd suggest until you see the host say wabbit or wabbits down to not go shooting the others first.    :airplane: 

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2021, 12:06:08 AM »
For me the tactical side of KOTH happens before the fight starts. What fuel am I going to take and what alt I am going to engage at. Some planes can start at the cap dive all the way down and come back, others are at the cap. Sometimes I like to be 1000 under to give some room to move just depends on the plane really.

Other than that I just treat it like another MA 1v1 or multi con engagement.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 08:52:35 AM »
I should add something to this as I haven’t in a while.
A few new faces in KOTH so nudging this up for visibility.