Author Topic: Fighter Rank  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Fighter Rank
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 04:38:37 AM »
Violator - attack score is a bit weird too. If you kill a lot of gvs with bombs it significantly hurts your damage and bomb hit percentage categories since I believe those categories only count buildings.

Vehicles count too, but it's only one vehicle you hit and dropping a bomb on a town can give you dozens of hits.
If someone is having score in mind, he can happily bomb GVs as long as he drops a big (!) bomb on a town center every once in a while.

By the way, completely refraining from bombing vehicles and only hitting town centers for optimum score kills a lot of fun for very little gained scoring efficiency because of the law of diminishing returns. Same goes for almost all other scoring things.

But then, the overwhelming majority of AH players does care very little about score. It's just that most players seem to suspect that everybody else is doing this or that "because of score"  :D
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 08:06:04 AM »
Scores and people with 4 stars are over rated. Someone of the best fighter sticks are not in the top score lists.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
Vehicles count too, but it's only one vehicle you hit and dropping a bomb on a town can give you dozens of hits.
If someone is having score in mind, he can happily bomb GVs as long as he drops a big (!) bomb on a town center every once in a while.

By the way, completely refraining from bombing vehicles and only hitting town centers for optimum score kills a lot of fun for very little gained scoring efficiency because of the law of diminishing returns. Same goes for almost all other scoring things.

But then, the overwhelming majority of AH players does care very little about score. It's just that most players seem to suspect that everybody else is doing this or that "because of score"  :D

Lusche, for fighter score does hitting a GV with bullets count? It would make sense that I can kill on M3 with machine guns, that those round count against Hit% but I have yet test it.
My understanding is that hitting OBJ like buildings doesn't count as hits (Fighter Score: makes sense), but does hitting a building or a vehicle count as a 'missed' round?  Maybe some tweaks to it's calculation would improve it's 'Good' metric standing.  For example, Hitting OBJ counts as neither a hit or a miss. That way if I need to help drop town guns, or a building to help a group white flag a town, I'm not lowering my score to do so. Maybe that is how it works now?

More good input from Fugi and Violator and Atlau.   :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 08:21:18 AM »
Scores and people with 4 stars are over rated. Someone of the best fighter sticks are not in the top score lists.

We know its just a goal, and not a measure of talent Rud3.  :salute

You're one of the more prolific killers in the Melee. And you have won the top fighter rank at least once I believe, probably more. For Tours where you're in the hunt, and you decide you feel like making it a goal to try to win it, what do you think are the pluses and minuses of the current categories?  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 10:42:30 AM »
Let's be honest the real rank 1 men are hoagie, cmex and yucca  :cool:

pfft I raise you an SHAWK, Bruv119 or Fester.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
Just as I was about to go to bed, I discovered this thread. Oh well...  :bhead

:rofl
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 10:47:10 AM »
Lusche, for fighter score does hitting a GV with bullets count? It would make sense that I can kill on M3 with machine guns, that those round count against Hit% but I have yet test it.
My understanding is that hitting OBJ like buildings doesn't count as hits (Fighter Score: makes sense), but does hitting a building or a vehicle count as a 'missed' round?  Maybe some tweaks to it's calculation would improve it's 'Good' metric standing.  For example, Hitting OBJ counts as neither a hit or a miss. That way if I need to help drop town guns, or a building to help a group white flag a town, I'm not lowering my score to do so. Maybe that is how it works now?

More good input from Fugi and Violator and Atlau.   :salute

Hitting GVs and buildings/guns as a fighter does hurt the fighter rank hit%. I wish it didn't though. It's one of those things where its either help your team or help yourself.

If you do want to attack GVs, bring a bomb and rockets as a fighter. This will not effect any score in terms of hit% or damage.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2020, 11:31:16 AM »
Lusche, for fighter score does hitting a GV with bullets count?

It counts for hit%, at least it did a few years ago in AH2.

Offline Simon

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2020, 11:56:56 AM »
To my credit I fly F4U variants exclusively and under any and all circumstances, including base defense. To my chagrin, my rank tends to land based on how much I fly on a given month. It's higher this month because I flew more than usual. Now that I haven't logged in since the weekend, it's dropped off. Ranking has never been an objective (been there done that in Fighter Ace), but is a good reflection of the ebb and flows of all the intangibles. Having a wingman (Bricker and Waxx have been a huge help this month), flying decent maps (that crappy spiral map didn't show up yet) and whether I happen upon buffs make all the difference.

I'm well aware that there are many pilots that are far better than me, but simply don't fly as much. 2CMEX as an example, is awesome to watch in a furball.

Guys like that should be celebrated (read: targeted). Leave us run of the mill pickers out of the spotlight, please :)

To me what matters is KPH, or more specifically FPH (fights/hr).  That's why I'm here.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2020, 12:00:18 PM »
  Is this a Fighter Game?  :headscratch:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »

I'm well aware that there are many pilots that are far better than me, but simply don't fly as much. 2CMEX as an example, is awesome to watch in a furball.

Guys like that should be celebrated (read: targeted). Leave us run of the mill pickers out of the spotlight, please :)

To me what matters is KPH, or more specifically FPH (fights/hr).  That's why I'm here.

2cmex is an incredibly prolific killer but he books most of his kill under the ATTACK heading. I think he has 800 kills in attack mode.  :rock
Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:23 PM »
  Is this a Fighter Game?  :headscratch:

It's a forum & spreadsheet game to me  :old:

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »
It's a forum & spreadsheet game to me  :old:

by the way Lusche, how do you down load all the data you run the stats on?
Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:00 PM »
by the way Lusche, how do you down load all the data you run the stats on?

Ten years ago I painfully learned just enough of python to slap together a few small programs that somehow scrap all the required data from score & stats pages.
When I now look at the code, I only have a vague idea what's happening there anymore. That's ADD for you  :D

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2020, 02:15:05 PM »
Ten years ago I painfully learned just enough of python to slap together a few small programs that somehow scrap all the required data from score & stats pages.
When I now look at the code, I only have a vague idea what's happening there anymore. That's ADD for you  :D

Well done  :aok
Who is John Galt?