Author Topic: Fighter Rank  (Read 5081 times)

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
Re: Fighter Rank
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2020, 12:23:48 PM »
The N isnt really that much of a difference and can fight just as good the M.

Violator in a slow speed fight I find the N to actually be a bit better. However in the MA the M has better climb and acceleration and in my opinion roll rate so makes for a better pure BnZ plarform.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
The problem with hit % is planes that have wingmounted cannons /  machine guns (specially if you take an 190a5 that have 3 different trajectories if you mount all 4 cannons) are at disadvanage compared with, as an example a Mosquito fighter that have it all in the nose at close to same trajectory.

So not sure why hit percentage isn't a valid measure of skill. Maybe it should be weighted less than k/d. Firepower, convergence, ballistics, etc are all factors we make in deciding on the plane to take, just like acceleration, roll rate, etc.

My hit percentage last tour was higher with the 152 than with the p38g despite the 38 being much easier to aim with. However the k/d and k/s are higher in the 152 (for me)

Offline svaalbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »
How do you think I feel with the Aces High having over 2000 files and about a million lines of code?

Dale

Is HiTech hiring any programmers? I can work pro-bono on the codebase, as long as I get to fly 262s for free forever.  ;)
"All fighter pilots were a little crazy, but mostly the nicest guys you'd ever meet." The Biography of a Rabbit, by Roy Benson Jr - https://gutenberg.org/files/7190/7190-h/7190-h.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaKxx5UhMZ0REI8E2FGfGag

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2020, 08:34:29 AM »
So not sure why hit percentage isn't a valid measure of skill.

For me it's not about skill, but whether it's a good Objective. It's a not a really bad objective...but as I said previously, If I'm on a fighter sortie, it discourages me from doing things that are productive. Killing a base gun, or town building, or strafing the map room seem like a productive things but it makes my Hit% worse.

Example:  If you fly a K4 and average 2 kill/sortie. That's about 30 rounds per kill (using the 30mm). And if my hit percentage is 15%, I've landed 4.5 Rounds per kill.  If I have 400 kills  I've landed 1800 rounds and fired 12,000 rounds.  A single ammo load also has 600 MG rounds which I use for OBJ.  If I shoot 200 rounds per sortie at OBJ. (Then 200 sorties)X(200 Rounds/Sortie) = 40,000 Missed rounds in the Fighter Hit% Calculation.  My hit % drops from 15% which I think is Top-10, to 3% which is >300th.  Those are huge swings for what seems like a paltry number of rounds/sortie fired at field guns and map rooms in the course of helping defend a base, or take one.

It's not a bad Objective to have a high hit% but it seems hyper sensitive in some planes to attacking OBJ...Even if I'm hitting the OBJ.  :)

Perhaps the calculation could be modified to not include hitting OBJ as "misses".  Do not count OBJ as hits either.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2020, 12:02:26 PM »
IMO, and yes, it's just my opinion. Kills/Sortie is the metric that shows the highest level of skill (in scoring). The 10th ranked K/S right now is 2.7 give or take. That shows just how hard it is to average a K/S above 3 for a month.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:13 PM »
IMO, and yes, it's just my opinion. Kills/Sortie is the metric that shows the highest level of skill (in scoring). The 10th ranked K/S right now is 2.7 give or take. That shows just how hard it is to average a K/S above 3 for a month.

Maybe instead of saying "Skill" you could say "Hardest to achieve".   I think there is a strategy for each category, and they are not aligned so one has to choose which way to play to move your score in a given category.  I have found that Kill/Sortie means a lot of Re-Arming and making sure that your plane doesn't take damage. That's because I avoid massive furballs.  For some it means jumping in at Prime time only, and finding the biggest furball, picking a 4 cannon plane, and getting 3 kills before you get picked.  My strategy will mean low K/H and High damage points, while the second strategy will mean High kills/H and lower damage points.  :salute
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:43:52 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »
I scored a 35% hit rating once,but I used attack mode and shot up some towns so it wasnt all that great.  :furious

:salute

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2020, 06:28:58 PM »
That's why kill/hr and kill/sortie complement eachother well

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2020, 06:44:16 PM »
Maybe instead of saying "Skill" you could say "Hardest to achieve".   I think there is a strategy for each category, and they are not aligned so one has to choose which way to play to move your score in a given category.  I have found that Kill/Sortie means a lot of Re-Arming and making sure that your plane doesn't take damage. That's because I avoid massive furballs.  For some it means jumping in at Prime time only, and finding the biggest furball, picking a 4 cannon plane, and getting 3 kills before you get picked.  My strategy will mean low K/H and High damage points, while the second strategy will mean High kills/H and lower damage points.  :salute

I agree with you. One thing I like about this scoring is that different styles can be at the top. You dont have to be perfect in all of the categories to succeed.

Once a lot of people start playing again, that's when points really do make a difference. Looking back at some of my best scores from 2006, as Catfish6 in tour 78, I broke 1001 kills in 65 hours (most hours I've ever played, dont know how yall play so much lol). I scored over 110K points and still was #16 in points. (89th with a 5.34 k/d) sheesh. In tour 82, my best score ever, as Dmonslyr, I had 49,500 points with a rank of 110 in that category. Crazy that only had 23 hours of play that month with 425 kills.

Gah, looking at those scores compared to now are just ridiculous. I was so much better back then LOL.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2020, 04:45:05 AM »

That's not a problem, only a fact.

HiTech

Because it is a fact is why I think hit% should be of much less importance than other parameters, wing-mounted guns should not be of a disadvantage IMHO, else we see stupid attack of town buildings to increase the hit% - circumventing the whole idea.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2020, 06:50:55 AM »
Score, rank and stat.. It only weighs up to the importance you place on it.
Therefore it is right that each ranked stat is weighted equally and devoid of bias.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my first 43Hrs 48Minutes and 47seconds in 3-4 years.
The "Total Time" flying was much more important to me than any other rank-able, score-able, percentage-able set of numbers that will be forgotten by all in a fleeting moment.

Perhaps the real skill is not forgetting how good it feels.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2020, 07:25:50 AM »
Score, rank and stat.. It only weighs up to the importance you place on it.
Therefore it is right that each ranked stat is weighted equally and devoid of bias.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my first 43Hrs 48Minutes and 47seconds in 3-4 years.
The "Total Time" flying was much more important to me than any other rank-able, score-able, percentage-able set of numbers that will be forgotten by all in a fleeting moment.

Perhaps the real skill is not forgetting how good it feels.

For many it's just the next fight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)