Author Topic: Meeting My Six Crew Chief  (Read 1283 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Meeting My Six Crew Chief
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:46:40 AM »
Meeting My Six Crew Chief

After completing the F-106 RTU schoolhouse at Tyndall AFB, Florida, the long drive to Minot AFB, North Dakota was ahead.  After arriving there in late August, it was obvious this was a whole new planet; flat, very few trees, lots of mosquitos, and it was already well into fall temperatures.  The first week in September it snowed, covering the streets until late the following May.

I reported to the squadron command section, signed in, and proceeded to the squadron operations building to meet my new Ops Officer and Flight Commander.  My MQT (Mission Qualification Training) began in earnest soon after that.  MQT was a combination of local flying area checkout, how to sit alert, and operate in the Air Defense environment.  Plus, they needed another warm body to sit alert.  We had a 24/7 five minute alert commitment at Minot and an alert detachment at Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona. Our alert tours were 24 hour periods.  At DM, we sat 24 on 24 off for a week at a time and rotated jets and pilots back home on Friday.  So, it was always a challenge to have pilots and jets in the right place at the right time.  My “qualified” warm body was needed to feed the schedulers will.

So, I was flying regularly with an IP in the two seat F-106B, fondly referred to as the “Bus” or “Family Model” because of its multiple pilot chairs.  After getting somewhat up to speed, I started flying the single seat “A” model.  Ahhhhh, the peace and quiet of being cocooned in this massive, but nibble Mach 2 plus, Air Defense Fighter.

Soon, the squadron routine started feeling comfortable.  My fellow Six pilots were a great bunch of guys to fly and have fun with.  This was going to be a great assignment!  We had our own mini command post that was manned 24/7 to work our alert commitment and daily flying operation.  During flying operations, a squadron pilot sat duty in the command post along with an enlisted troop.  One day I was upstairs hanging with the boys when a page came over the PA system requesting me to report to the command post.  Being a newbie, I hustled down to see what kind of trouble I was already in.  My Flight Commander was doing CP duty for the day.  When I checked in with some apprehension, he invited me to sit down.  He explained that all the squadron pilots have an assigned F-106 tail number and each jet has a dedicated Crew Chief.

“You are assigned Oh Two Six”.  I asked where it was parked. He replied that it was in the radar cal barn.  I asked where that was and he pointed to the squadron front door and said “Walk toward the alert barn and you’ll find it between here and there.”  So, off I went to find my own personal F-106.  Sierra Hotel!!!  This was getting better every day!  Couldn’t wait to see my name on the canopy rail of MY jet!

The Cal Barn is a huge hangar used to tune and tweak the radar in the Six.  I never quite understood or frankly, cared how that was done.  I just wanted the radar to work when I flew.

Anyhow, I walked up to the entry door, grabbed the knob, opened, and stepped through the door.  I was awestruck!  Huge banks of overhead lights where all on.  MY glossy grey Six was shining like a diamond.  It’s nose was pointed into the barn.  As I walked closer, there was someone on top of the left wing.  Initially, all I could see was an olive drab butt and the soles of combat boots.  This guy was rubbing on something as I got closer.  He heard my approach, turned to see me, and popped straight up to attention with a startled look on his face.  I asked what he was doing.  “Sir, I just got assigned this jet as crew chief today.  So, I’m cleaning it up”.  I replied, “ I just got assigned this jet also.  What are you working on?”  “Sir, after getting assigned to her I went to the BX and got a can of Turtle Wax”.  I could only smile and think WOW, this is amazing! 

We introduced ourselves to each other and formed an instant bond.  My Crew Chief, Jim, explained that she just came back from PDM (Periodic Depot Maintenance) at McClellan AFB.  During a visit to PDM, our jets went through a major maintenance inspection and refurbishment, to include a new paint job.  So, Jim was going the extra distance to make MY jet, actually HIS jet, that HE was going to let ME fly, even better than when he received it.  Over the next three winters at Minot, every time I stepped to fly Oh Two Six, Jim was there to launch us.  He knew every screw, rivet, and nut on that jet.  He knew how every system on the jet was working and rarely had any squawks to report.  Whenever a squadron deployment came up that HIS jet and I were going on, he volunteered to go and take care of us. 

Jim and I became friends and keep in frequent contact to this day.  Jim separated from the Air Force after Minot to move back to his hometown and marry his childhood sweetheart, then start a family.  Some years later he earned a Private Pilot License and bought a Champ that he flies regularly.   On one of my airline layovers there, Jim took me for a ride in his Champ.  I sat in the back and enjoyed watching a great pilot put the Champ through her paces.  It was reminiscent of the T-33 Incentive Ride we flew together at Minot.  He sat in the back for that fun ride together.  That’s a story for later.

Here’s Jim’s jet, OH TWO SIX, at Davis Monthan AFB for an alert tour.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: Meeting My Six Crew Chief
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:46:35 AM »
I loved this Chapter. There's nothing like a team relationship with the tech or techs that look after your airplane.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »
That looks like a clear winter day there in Tucson. My home town. What year(s) was it when you were doing that duty?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:06:23 AM »
As usual, a bright read in an otherwise somewhat dull day. Thanks, again!  :)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:03 AM »
That looks like a clear winter day there in Tucson. My home town. What year(s) was it when you were doing that duty?

I was doing alert tours every 4 to 6 weeks in Tucson between 1978 to 1981.  We especially loved coming down in the winter months.  The goal was to get as much sun as possible and return home at the end of the week with skiing peeling off our nose.  It was entertaining watching guys coming in from Minot taxi up and shutdown in front of the alert barn.  As soon as the throttle was stop cocked, stuff started flying out off the cockpit like leather gloves with heavy wool inserts, winter survival hat, and then a scramble down the boarding ladder.  Next the survival vest, the heavy winter flying suit, the flying boots, the summer weight flying suit, and the t shirt.  Basically, a rapid transition from 40-50 below temperatures to 70-80 temperatures. 

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:53:00 AM »
I loved this Chapter. There's nothing like a team relationship with the tech or techs that look after your airplane.

Yeah, that trust we developed was invaluable.  I had to do a preflight walk around because we had to but, it was more a formality because I knew Jim would never let her and I launch with any anomalies.

As usual, a bright read in an otherwise somewhat dull day. Thanks, again!  :)

Glad these brighten up your day.  There are several more in mind from writing these.  The memories and ideas continue to awaken.  As memories pops up, I write down the title.  Just counted nine in the queue.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:37:05 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:07:45 AM »
I was doing alert tours every 4 to 6 weeks in Tucson between 1978 to 1981.  We especially loved coming down in the winter months.  The goal was to get as much sun as possible and return home at the end of the week with skiing peeling off our nose.  It was entertaining watching guys coming in from Minot taxi up and shutdown in front of the alert barn.  As soon as the throttle was stop cocked, stuff started flying out off the cockpit like leather gloves with heavy wool inserts, winter survival hat, and then a scramble down the boarding ladder.  Next the survival vest, the heavy winter flying suit, the flying boots, the summer weight flying suit, and the t shirt.  Basically, a rapid transition from 40-50 below temperatures to 70-80 temperatures.

Holy Jeez... with an engine that big, the designer couldn't tap a tiny bit of bleed air to keep you guys warm in winter? or at alt?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »
Holy Jeez... with an engine that big, the designer couldn't tap a tiny bit of bleed air to keep you guys warm in winter? or at alt?

Oh, the Six had great air conditioning.  All the heavy winter gear was in case of an ejection during the winter.  There was the extreme cold at altitude and then having to survive a long parachute descent from altitude and a long wait on the ground in the winter.  As an FNG at Pete Field (my first operational assignment in the Tbird), I asked what was the purpose of wearing these really cool international orange flight suits.  The answer, “So they can find your body in the snowy wilderness of Canada.  Think about how you’d looking laying in the snow with a typical dark flight suit simulating a log vs the really cool orange flight suit.”  My reply, “Oh.”

With all the winter garb on, I don’t remember the need for much cockpit heat during the winter.  It was important though, to preheat the canopy before descending from the typical cruise altitude of 45-50,000 feet.  Failure to do so, would result in fogging/frosting up the canopy, requiring in a precision instrument approach vs looking and sounding really cool coming up initial at 400 knots.  The Six would go from one corner to another corner of the country up high without aerial refueling and do it at 540 knots TAS all day long.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:04:28 PM by Puma44 »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 12:03:03 PM »
Puma,dont you know polar bears dont eat oranges?  Thats the real reason they just didnt tell you that! :furious

:salute

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 12:29:26 PM »
Out of the various G.I Joes I owned (space suit, scuba suit, navy dungarees, etc. etc.) this is the one that needed replacing more than once due to getting stuck in electric lines and such:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 12:48:38 PM »
Puma,dont you know polar bears dont eat oranges?  Thats the real reason they just didnt tell you that! :furious

:salute

:rofl

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 01:41:13 PM »
:rofl

Polar bears? Depends on the time of year. Could be Grizzlies or Kodiak's - they are the bears you find their scat with tiny silver bells in it smelling like pepper spray.

Great read Puma. Smore! :x
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 01:55:53 PM »
Polar bears? Depends on the time of year. Could be Grizzlies or Kodiak's - they are the bears you find their scat with tiny silver bells in it smelling like pepper spray.

Great read Puma. Smore! :x

Thanks Fork!  Several more in the pipeline to come.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »
It was important though, to preheat the canopy before descending from the typical cruise altitude of 45-50,000 feet.  Failure to do so, would result in fogging/frosting up the canopy, requiring in a precision instrument approach vs looking and sounding really cool coming up initial at 400 knots.  The Six would go from one corner to another corner of the country up high without aerial refueling and do it at 540 knots TAS all day long.

LOL. I remember that. Way way back new pilots on the lear 25 would ask why I put the cockpit fans to high leaving 41. Nothing like being blind on a clear warm day :confused:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »
LOL. I remember that. Way way back new pilots on the lear 25 would ask why I put the cockpit fans to high leaving 41. Nothing like being blind on a clear warm day :confused:

Roger that!  By the way, I remember numerous times in the Six flying XC in the high forties, the only thing I would see higher and co-speed would be some sort of a Lear conning along same way, same day.