Author Topic: Wingman Tactics  (Read 3666 times)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Wingman Tactics
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »
The most basic wingman tactic is to fly in combat spread formation. It is effective defensively and offensively and has a formidable impact.

The Combat Spread formation (also known as Line Abreast) provides better look out capability and mutual support, so this is the ideal formation when entering a sector with known enemy aircraft (Dar Bar) but no visual sighting. The mutual support inherent in this formation can be seen when one of the aircraft is attacked, and executes a turn away from his wingman. You can see from the diagrams below that the when the two aircraft turn their distance apart in line astern is the same as the distance they were apart in the combat spread formation. The idea is that any bandit who attacks one of the aircraft would automatically place himself under attack from the other.

It means that if you double the effective guns range, let’s just say 450 yards so you fly in combat spread at 900 yards separation, then if the Bandit gets a position at say 600 yards off the leads tail, the wingman would be 300 yards off the Bandits tail. That is how the aircraft provide each other with mutual support. That distance can be adjusted based on the experience of each fighter pair and their aircraft convergence. For example, if your effective gun range is 600 yards then your wingman separation should be 1200 yards, you will then execute your turn at around 800, placing your wingman 400 off the bandit’s tail. I've posted some images of how this works below.

A similar evolution can be done in the vertical as shown in the “Rolling Defense” diagram below. It works well during egress where the trailing aircraft comes under attack. The free fighter climbs while his wingman pushes over for speed dragging the attacker bellow. The free fighter pulls back down just as the attacker passes under him. This will either kill a Bandit who continues to press the attack or at least cause him to break off. The advantage of doing it this way is that no heading change is required and the egress continues uninterrupted and can be repeated indefinitely until safety is reached. I’ve seen flights stir up such a desire for revenge while over the target that they are followed persistently all the way home, eventually getting more kills using the rolling defense during the egress than they did over the target.

This is just a brief and incomplete explanation, so I may expand on this later but meanwhile I'm happy to accept questions.

Meanwhile, if you would like to read about my first experience of these tactics you can read about it here:
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,399564.0.html

Regards

Badboy
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 12:18:57 PM by Badboy »
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Wingman Tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:17:33 PM »
Hmmm... this looks familiar
 :noid
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:19:47 PM »
Thach weave:

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »
Heya Badz! Still have your own pdfs from back in the day. Always good info! Good to see ya!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 05:35:14 AM »
Heya Badz! Still have your own pdfs from back in the day. Always good info! Good to see ya!

Hey Drano, good to see you too!  Not seeing too many familiar faces in the MA.

I called up TC and he flew with me the other day... We were both a bit rusty, but it was still a lot of fun.

Regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 06:02:53 AM »

I called up TC and he flew with me the other day... We were both a bit rusty, but it was still a lot of fun.

Regards

Badboy

We need to do that more often before the scenario starts......rusty is an understatement regarding myself

Cheers

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 10:13:51 AM »

Regards

Badboy

I'm still in the tweaking segment of a new PC build. After that I'll be along. Seems like most everyone else I'll have plenty of spare time for the foreseeable future!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 09:05:56 PM »
Thank you for the post Badboy!  I always enjoy brushing up on this stuff.    :aok

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »
Thank you for the post Badboy!  I always enjoy brushing up on this stuff.    :aok

Your welcome, but I haven't flown that way myself for some time and I'm just brushing up on it myself also, with help from Puma44.

Regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 01:59:40 PM »
Heya Bad, good to see you back.

Havent been flying myself but hope to be on the mend soon and maybe at summers end I can find a way to get back flying.

:salute

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 04:54:09 PM »
Heya Bad, good to see you back.

Good to see you too buddy.

Haven't been flying myself but hope to be on the mend soon and maybe at summers end I can find a way to get back flying.

Good luck with that and hope you recover quickly.

When you make it back, if you need someone to help get yourself back in form, give me a shout, I'd be delighted to help.

Regards

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
I received a couple of questions about combat spread and promised to elaborate on some of the things that can go wrong and the resulting variations. Sorry it's been a bit delayed.

One of the things I soon discovered about wingman tactics is that they are very hard to learn. Learning to fight 1v1 is difficult enough and none of us are ever as good at it as we would like to be, and we continue learning as long as we continue flying. Add other aircraft to the mix, even friendly aircraft, and the challenge rises exponentially.

It is hardly surprising that so few pilots make the transition to effective mutual support, as you add aircraft to the fight there is just so much more to see and think about and so much more to go wrong. Regardless of the wingman tactic you try to employ, things sometimes go wrong. In air combat you are juggling with so many parameters that no matter how often you do the same maneuver things rarely work out exactly the same every time, being able to deal with the variations is part of the process.

In the original post, diagram 1 shows two wingmen in combat spread, and one of them is being attacked by a lone bandit. The diagram suggests that the enemy pilot has already decided which of the two aircraft to attack, it’s got to be one or the other right? Well, that’s one of the first things that can go wrong.

Imagine you have decided try wingman tactics for the first time. You enter a map grid with a large radar bar and your lead calls combat spread. Sure enough, a higher bandit begins to close from your long six and you know what to do. It’s simple, whichever one of you is attacked, will break away from his wingman and the other will break in the same direction to clear his six.

You watch as the bandit closes the range but you can’t tell which of you is being attacked, the bandit appears to be flying up the middle. That wasn’t in the play book. You wonder why the bandit isn’t following the game plan. You wonder which one of you should break and which direction. You would be surprised how confusing things like this can be if you aren’t prepared for it. We all know the five Ps “Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance” so this is where we introduce another wingman tactic known as the defensive split.

This is a way to force the bandit to commit to the attack, but the well-chosen separation distance between the wingmen will no longer work. Immediately after the defensive split the two wingmen will be too far apart and will need to re-establish mutual support. As with everything in air combat there is no one size fits all answer. What happens next will depend on the type of aircraft involved and their energy states, but for now I’m going to assume similar conditions to those existing in the engagement described in this post:

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,399564.0.html

In this scenario the attacker had a slower, but more maneuverable aircraft with more energy than the defenders, specifically a high Spitfire attacking a P-51D section. The defending pilot’s must both execute the defensive split with the bandit in sight, because what the attacker does next will determine how each defender reacts in order to restore mutual support. The moment that the attacker commits to one fighter, that fighter becomes the engaged fighter, and his wingman becomes the free fighter.

At that point the two fighters have specific tasks. The engaged fighter must maintain separation from the bandit, while pulling or dragging the attacker back towards the free fighter to allow his wingman to close on the bandit. The free fighter must initially maintain a tally on the bandit and close for a kill or force it to break off. That sequence of events is often referred to as the drag and bag. From the point in the previous diagram at the moment you are certain which fighter is being engaged the defensive split can be switched to the High-Low split as shown below.

The engaged fighter must maintain speed and separation from the bandit while dragging it for his wingman and that speed can only be maintained by turning nose low. The free pilot turns back nose high, which has the benefit of slowing his speed and giving his wingman time to drag the attacker under him and this allows him to conserve energy before dropping back over onto the attacker. Generally, when executing a drag to friendly fighters it is better to drag low. When the attacker sees what’s happening there may be a switch and if so the free fighter will become engaged and the engaged fighter will become free, and so the process continues.   

Remember, in this situation the attacker is more maneuverable but slower. The attacker’s initial energy advantage will soon be dissipated in hard maneuvering as he will be working against two fighters and thus burning energy more quickly. Being in the slower aircraft, the attacker will be locked into an engagement that without any mistakes can only end one way.

Hope that helps

Badboy

The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 08:40:31 AM »
Good to see you too buddy.

Good luck with that and hope you recover quickly.

When you make it back, if you need someone to help get yourself back in form, give me a shout, I'd be delighted to help.

Regards

Badboy

I flew last week,having a hard time staying up for FSO,must be old age catching up. :o

Hopefully when the white stuff starts floating around I'll have more time and can get back to regular flying,I miss hanging out in the TA and helping out. It's my wife's turn to be sick and thats has me pulling double duty so by the time 9pm rolls around I'm pretty much ready for the fart sack.

I hope to be able to fly a few nights a week but it's difficult ATM,been one thing after another with a few distraction in the way. My best advice is to smell the roses when you can cause you just never know whats around the next corner.

See you all soon!

:salute

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2020, 08:48:52 AM »
Healing vibes to your wife (and to you, for that matter).  :pray :salute

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2020, 02:39:05 PM »
My best advice is to smell the roses when you can cause you just never know whats around the next corner.

Sorry to hear about your wife, but those are wise words indeed, it is all any of us can do.

When you do make it back in, try and look in to Monday Night Madness in the Axis VS Allied arena at 8pm eastern. It's the most fun happening in AH right now. The action is fast, furious and friendly, just the thing if you need a brief respite.

Hope to see you soon  :salute

Badboy

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 02:40:42 PM by Badboy »
The Damned (est. 1988)