Author Topic: Stick set up advice needed  (Read 576 times)

Offline skillet83

• Zinc Member
Stick set up advice needed
« on: March 30, 2020, 06:26:50 PM »
  Thank you in advance for reading and for any help volunteered. I had to replace my logitech extreme 3D pro with a new 3D pro. I do not know how to set this thing up. I have calibrated in windows 10 and have spent hours fiddling with axis scaling, dead band and damping. Flew my last stick for 8 years or so. Could turn planes tight, right on the edge of stalling but keep control.

Now, when on edge, plane will drop wing and nose in out of control. Nose is a little bouncy, hard to hold steady target when dropping ord from a 38 in a dive. Main problem is not able to fly on the edge in turns, felt like I was always in control when slow and turning with last setup. Classic slow stall, drop a wing and spin. I am open if I need a different stick. Last one was so good though. Thanks for reading.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Stick set up advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 08:59:58 PM »
Did you calibrate the stick in AH?

Offline skillet83

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 08:24:11 AM »
Yes, calibrated in AH as well.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »
It sounds like maybe the new stick gives a different output for the same physical position and your habits from the old stick cause you to over control.

I would start with minimum damping and deadband and whatever scaling on pitch you had before. Roll does not need scaling.

Practice flying offline or in the TA to get used to the new stick. Fly loops and max turns at minimum and max speeds and listen for the stall buzzer.

Let me know if you still have problems.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »
Hey skillet when flying the 38 in tight turns. Are the stalls you're describing like little nibbles where it sounds like you're losing engine power in and out quickly too? Which only seems to exasterbate the problem? Because I'm experiencing that too and have a nice VKB stick. No issues with this one and precision to be sure! Seemed to have cropped up several patches back but I fly so rarely now I just chalked it up to rust. Don't mean to hijack your thread but was kinda glad to see I'm not imagining this! I thought it was just that I suck! Well.....maybe it is just that hehe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline skillet83

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:02:24 PM »
  I give up, this stick is in the trashcan. Search on for something new. Thanks all.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 07:19:13 AM »
Skillet83, I have (2) Logitech extreme 3D Pro's in their original boxes that you are welcome to

Just pay shipping

If interested PM me

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC