Author Topic: Flight Stick Recommendation?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline skillet83

• Zinc Member
Flight Stick Recommendation?
« on: April 03, 2020, 09:07:31 PM »
Just curious, what are you folks using? Had a Logitech 3D pro, flew for years with, then it crapped. Replaced with the same new one, not even close. Have fiddled with for countless hours. Money is not a concern, just want to fly again. Need some advice or recommendations please. Skillet

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
Re: Flight Stick Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:36:25 PM »
I've worn out a few X52s over the the last 18 years or so.

Logitech, now.. used to be Saitek.

Probably need to order another one soon.  Thottle sensitivity gone on upper end.

:salute
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 10:02:11 PM »
I have the Virpil T50 base for my old Thrustmaster sticks. It's expensive but I'm very happy with it. I have it center mounted with a stick extension.

https://virpil.com/en/

I also use a throttle and rudder pedals.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 10:03:37 PM »
I still use my old CH Products throttle, but I bought this for my stick.

https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960720-Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog/dp/B00371R8P4

Very happy with it. Hall sensors so no more dirty pots, very smooth.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 10:16:55 PM »
The upgraded magnetoresistive CH sensors I picked up were pretty cheap, great option for worn out CH pots, makes it a whole new stick/etc.

I still think for the $ CH is a great option for this game, requiring a lot of movement and aiming due to the nature of a WW2 MMO sim.

I've been collecting hotas for 20+ years now, and have all the new VKB/Virpil stuff, several sets of each.  The T50 and T50CM2 aren't bad option but you can't really use them on a desktop and need a mounting solution.  The Virpil Warbrd is desktop capable and is excellent, and there are a variety of sticks available + the TM Warthog and Cougar sticks both work (the best option IMO, making an all metal stick).

IMO OP I'd go with any of the above, the VKB GF2/3 is a great option too, but is more $$ than the Warbrd option.

The TM Warthog is "ok", but I have 4 of the WH sticks and 3 throttles, and 3 of the 4 sticks have exhibited the common "sticktion" failure, and required disassembly, replacement of the "ring", and regreasing with a superior product than what they use at the TM factory.  While a PITA, it isn't costly, the ring "guy" is still sending out the replacement large o-rings (more of a teflon ring), and the grease is cheap.  After that, the TM gimbal is "decent", but still no Virpil or VKB gimbal.  Again, the TM "stick" part of the stick is IMO the best option out there still as it's all metal, and the buttons and hats are very tough.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 10:55:11 PM »
I've got a slightly used t16000 (like 1 month) I'll send it to you if you want to cover shipping.  (I upgraded to a VKB Gf3)

Offline Trev95

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 11:29:01 PM »
I flew with the Logitech extreme 3D Pro for years with no issues, maybe you got a bad stick?  I roll with the X56 and Logitech Rudder Peddles right now.  With that being said the 3D pro is right here in case I need it.  No complaints except the X56 stick is a wee bit big for me. (Ok you can bring the jokes on now)
FBTrev95/Riftval
Riftvals Bombers

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 02:17:16 AM »
Back in the day I had a couple of Logitechs and liked the handle. I then moved to Thrustmaster. The ergonomics is similar so there's not much to learn about how to position your hand. The T16000m is also very accurate so I'd recommend you to take Atlau's offer!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 04:47:19 AM »
The CH series were good circa 2010, my last lot (2015ish) came with a "made in Mexico" sticker on and they are just not the same quality.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 06:54:39 AM »
I've been using CH Products my entire flight sim career.  For example my Ch Pedals are 15 years old and have no problems.  I'm on my second throttle in over twenty years and on my third USB Combat Stick.  I've always been tempted to try something else but the experience I've had with Ch Products for over 30 years of game play has been positive.  I see no reason to change.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 07:35:20 AM »
I've been using CH Products my entire flight sim career.  For example my Ch Pedals are 15 years old and have no problems.  I'm on my second throttle in over twenty years and on my third USB Combat Stick.  I've always been tempted to try something else but the experience I've had with Ch Products for over 30 years of game play has been positive.  I see no reason to change.

Heh.....same here

My old CH rudder pedals broke a spring awhile back and Drano sent me a nice set of pedals (Saitek I think), in which I canabalized the springs from them to fix my 1992 model year CH pedals....my CH pro throttle is from 1997 same as my CH fighterstick.....

I've tried to switch to the TM Cougar and Saitek x52pro series, but none of them work good enough, I'm just to set in my ways after almost 30 years playing these games

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 07:41:25 AM »
I have Virpil joystick and throttle with MFG rudder pedals.  I had used Thrustmaster HOTAS for over 20 years prior, but now would never go back to them.  The Virpil and MFG products not only feel better, but are more accurate and better made.

TShark

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 07:47:50 AM »
Have a Virple stick also, very nice. Well made.
Seam to be a small company or they are lazy and just do not make enough product, they sell out quick
-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 09:24:41 AM »
I flew with the Logitech extreme 3D Pro for years with no issues, maybe you got a bad stick?

Same here.  It's affordable, fits my hand well, and does everything I need.  And it's affordable.  Good bang for the buck.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 09:33:11 AM »
Same here.  It's affordable, fits my hand well, and does everything I need.  And it's affordable.  Good bang for the buck.

The rudder will eventually crap out. T16000 is more precise and will last longer before the twist fails. (Maybe 6 months vs 12 in my experience)

I preferred the ergonomics of the logitech 3d.

It's a shame the warthog has the same baseas the t16000.for 250$ they really ought to have something sturdier.