Author Topic: Interceptor Magazine Article Author  (Read 402 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Interceptor Magazine Article Author
« on: April 04, 2020, 03:35:34 PM »
With numerous Air Defense target mission trips under my belt, I was “VolunTOLD” to write an article for the Air Defense Command monthly magazine “Interceptor” about my experiences.  So, without the aid of modern day computers and word processors, I sat down with a pencil and pad of paper to start writing with a rather short deadline looming in the near future.  Names have been redacted to protect the innocent.  Here’s the result:

« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:47:39 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Interceptor Magazine Article Author
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 03:44:00 PM »
nice read... Thanks for sharing

:salute

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:24:23 PM »
Thanks TC.  :salute

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 07:42:55 PM »
Thank you once again! :)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:57:34 PM »
I see attitude in your photo.

Very educational write-up, wonder if they still do it that way ("Hey, I launched, so of course it's a kill!"). 

The AW Bigweek group had a member, Earl Miller, who flew P-39s and P-47s in North Africa and Italy, then stayed in the USAF and flew a wide variety of planes, including the F-80.  My recollection is that he thought it was a very nice-flying plane.  What was your sense?

We graduated same year.  Wonder if we're the same age?  7/31/52.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »
You are welcome Arlo.  :salute

Yes, Oldman, we are of the same fine, vintage year.  :aok  The stretch F-80 was a very honest flying jet, had long cross country legs.  It was reasonably reliable maintenance wise except when it would hard break for some random reason during a fuel stop.  Typically, what ever broke required a replacement part from home base.  Even if we happened to be at a Tbird equipped base, it was near impossible to pry the needed part from their supply.  Those parts were needed to keep their Tbirds flying.  Hence, our hard and fast X country rule was never land where you don’t want to spend the night (or two, or three).  One place none of us EVER stopped was Whiteman AFB, MO.  Once, when trying to avoid WX on a trip to Florida, we considered it.  But, the IFR supplement description of the base cautioned about prairie chickens wandering on the ramp, taxiways, and runways.  We found somewhere else to stop for fuel.

Otherwise, the Tbird was pretty reliable.  Like most every airplane, it had the ability to kill.  The most unique thing of that nature in the Tbird was a warning in the dash one about not doing rolling maneuvers with fuel in the tip tanks.  A few months before I started T-33 upgrade school, a couple of Tyndall IPs took a Tbird out on weekend cross country.  They both died when doing a low altitude aileron roll over a family reunion, with nearly full tip tanks. 

Yes, Oldman, there was some attitude in the picture. Again, I was “volunTOLD” to get my flying gear, go to the flightline for said picture, and not go flying afterwards (not to mention the sun in my eyes).

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:54:20 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »
Good read thanks. Did you find that ROTC grads were more common in the regular AF than not? The reason I ask is that the Army had a most definite status situation going. The ring knockers were at the top, followed by Mustangs (OCS grads) and at the bottom were the Reservist or ROTC folks who got far far fewer active duty slots. It was most definitely expected that ROTC commissioned folks were to stay in the reserves, period.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
Good read thanks. Did you find that ROTC grads were more common in the regular AF than not? The reason I ask is that the Army had a most definite status situation going. The ring knockers were at the top, followed by Mustangs (OCS grads) and at the bottom were the Reservist or ROTC folks who got far far fewer active duty slots. It was most definitely expected that ROTC commissioned folks were to stay in the reserves, period.

Thanks Maverick! 

I really didn’t pay much attention along the way about how many reserve and regulars.  Don’t remember anyone else really caring much one way or the other.  It was desirous to have the regular commission.  I was offered and accepted one somewhere along the line.  At the time, a reserve commission meant one was on the hook for recall long after separating or retiring.  The “Ring Knockers” definitely had the advantage over everyone else in all things of military service.  OCS grads seemed to be somewhat far and few between.

Of course, if they attempted to recall me at this point, there would be a very large “attitude adjustment” bonus required.  One that would probably be akin to congressional retirement benefits and more.  :D