Author Topic: GV'ers who drive with their turret facing backwards  (Read 1490 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: GV'ers who drive with their turret facing backwards
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 08:10:38 AM »
Not true, when it's backwards the turrests rear armour goes in the same direction as the shell... like a plan on a conveyor belt... so it's effectively thicker.
There is zero reason to hit the turret !

First, Understand what happens if an antitank shell hits the engine compartment IRL during ww2 :

It enters through the very light back armor, not angled, that is 20-40 mm thick, (front equivalent might be 100mm plus)  and hit the engine and or fuel tanks , with very hot fragments rupturing the electrical lines and and other important stuff- causing fires, and you have to evacuate the tank pronto (as most tanks used only handheld fire extinguisher).

If the shell (like pretty much all axis ammunition used ) have explosive content, you will have a recepie for a very quick disaster.

Best way to protect a tank is by angle the front of the tank against the threat, and zigzag your way to target area at speed.

I served in tank on an off for 13 years, as a tank officer -  as a tank platoon leader if war should occur.

I crewed the IKV 91, S-tank, and to a lesser extent - the Centurion 101-102.

Use the max gun depression of a tank, it will make you a smaller target and harder to spot, specially if you can camouflage it.

I never played tanks when I played AH, but I have more than a clue about RL.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 08:57:51 AM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
Yeah but did you ever drive a tank on a conveyor belt?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »

I sprint over hills where there is an enemy tank just on the other side.

You pop over with the turret backwards and drive past putting rounds into a guy trying to turn his turret around.