Author Topic: 36 Mile Downwind  (Read 574 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
36 Mile Downwind
« on: April 06, 2020, 01:01:33 AM »
It was a rare crystal clear, blue sky day in South Georgia after a seriously bad cold front and associated weather had blown through the previous day.  Our wing took full advantage of the great weather and had Phantoms out working all the normal bombing ranges and MOAs.  I had returned from one of the closer ranges, leading a flight of Phantoms.  We entered the radar pattern to fly instrument approaches for training, and fill required “to do” squares.  The pattern was plum full of F-4Es flying various approaches.  Moody AFB was also a training facility for USAF Air Traffic Controllers.  We had two runways (one 9,000 and one 8,000 feet long), oriented north/south, runways 36R/18L and 36L/18R.  Normally, practice instrument approaches are flown to the East runway.  Today, we are flying them to 36R.  The west runway is used for visual approaches to the overhead break.

As we approached the field, the approach controller split the flight to maintain three mile spacing in the radar pattern.  They vectored me to the downwind leg, heading south.  At ten miles, the controller gives me a right turn to 270 degrees for the base leg, followed by a dog leg heading to intercept the ILS final.  She then clears me to “intercept the localizer, cleared the ILS 36R.  So, I proceed to intercept and fly the full approach to a missed approach.  As we go missed, she clears us to to 1700’ and a right turn to east.  Leveling off,  the controller turns us south on the downwind leg for another approach.  The pattern is full of radio chatter with pilots acknowledging controller instructions.  Everyone is getting the same ten mile turn to the west for the base leg.  It’s working like clockwork.  This pattern work is boring for the backseater because this is “Pilot Stuff” and all they have to do is monitor and help clear for traffic. The controller, I learned later, is a trainee.  She is doing a great job handling all the Phantom traffic in the pattern.

So, we continue south and come to the usual ten mile turn point.  No turn instruction from the controller.  Sometimes they will stretch the downwind leg to accommodate something else going on in the pattern.  I wait a couple of miles, and then hear her turn my wingman behind us to the west.  Hmmm, what’s going on?  I key the radio and say “Approach, Steel 11”.  No response.  She turns my wingman on the dogleg to final.  “OK, WTFO”.  Again, “Approach, Steel 11”.  Nothing.  About that time, the next guy on the downwind, approaching ten miles, says “Steel 11, I hear you calling approach and her not responding to you.  Do you want me to tell her you’re trying to make contact?”  Thinking our conversation would be a clue that she lost track of one of her “chicks” and we would get a query, I said “No, let’s see what happens. We’re good on fuel.”  We are tuned and identified to the ILS and the TACAN, both providing mileage distance to the field.

We are at 1500’ AGL on our last assigned heading of 180 degrees, headed south, listening to the radio chatter.  Approach is talking with all the jets in the pattern behind us.  Over the crew intercom, my backseater asks what should we do?  My reply, “We’re fat on fuel, it’s severe clear out.  Let’s see how far south we go before she realizes we aren’t in her radar pattern.”  We are still squawking our last assigned code on the transponder.  Every two miles farther south, I transmit, “Approach, Steel 11.”  No response.  As we continue south, I pointed out to my backseater that the downtown Valdosta airport is going by on the right.  Every two miles father south, the same thing. Occasionally, one of my wingmen back in the pattern queries us.  “We’re still southbound, fuel is good”. 

36 miles south, I’d had enough.  We did a 180 back to the north and lined up visually on 36L, the west runway.  We dialed up the Moody tower frequency and I said “Tower, Steel 11, 20 mile initial, 36L, full stop.”  The tower controller replies, “Steel 11, contact approach channel 4 for sequence to the overhead.  Channel 4 would be the same controller that had just lost us.  I replied, “Negative, she already had her chance.”  The reply, “Report a three mile initial, left break, 36L.”  I acknowledged while pushing the throttles up, accelerating to 450 knots. The tower was slightly to the northwest along side 36L.  The windowless RAPCON, with our approach controller inside, was just west of the tower. 

I called, “Steel 11, three mile initial, left break, full stop.”  “Steel 11, cleared left break, cleared to land, 36L”.  Instead of breaking at the normal point over the numbers, I delayed until the tower/RAPCON were about to pass on the left, snapped left, idle, boards, and cranked the Rhino around to the left downwind, creating an enhanced, characteristic Phantom rumble over top of our controller.

We landed normally, contacted Ground Control, taxied to our parking spot, and shut down.  After dismounting the beast, we made the normal stop in maintenance debrief, hiked over to the squadron, and hung up our flight gear.  After the flight debrief, which included a lot of WTFO discussion about the controller by the other guys in our flight, I called the CMSgt in charge of the RAPCON, with whom I was acquainted.  After exchanging pleasantries, the Chief asked what was up.  I asked him to listen to the tapes between this time and that.  He asked, “What happened?”  I asked him to just listen to the tapes, see what he thought, and give me a call.

A couple hours later, I was paged over the squadron PA to the ops desk for a phone call.  It was the RAPCON Chief.  He was profoundly apologetic while telling me that he could hear all of my calls to the controller, my flight mates communicating with me, and her not responding to me.  He said the controller was a trainee and his very best trainer was plugged into the radio with her.  He had no idea why they didn’t hear my calls and that he was going to make sure that never happened again.  I described the calls every two miles until we couldn’t stand it anymore and the turn around.  Asking how far south we were before turning around, I explained that the TACAN had broken lock, and we went well south of the Valdosta airport to about 36 miles.  Startled, he noted that no one would know where we were if an ejection had happened.  I agreed.

There were many odd occurrences with the controllers at Moody.  It was important to keep our heads on a swivel and always have hip pocket options available, especially in low weather conditions. 

There’s an idea for another story later.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: 36 Mile Downwind
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 10:25:09 AM »
I hope that controller (and her trainer) had this moment in history firmly implanted. Another great one, Puma!  :salute :cheers:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:13:17 AM »
Thanks Arlo.  :aok  After several acts of Air Traffic Control buffoonery there, it was important to go into survival mode, especially on bad weather days, and consider them as Air Traffic Advisors, to some extent.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »
Great story... "WTFO discussion"  :rofl  Hadn't heard that in a long time. :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »
Thanks Shifty!  :salute  Mission debriefs pretty much always had a “WTFO” phase.   :D

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
Thanks Shifty!  :salute  Mission debriefs pretty much always had a “WTFO” phase.   :D

Yet another great excerpt from your upcoming book (we hope :aok).

Just have to ask... a go-around to a 1700 foot level off... reduced thrust to smooth it out? You would know how violent that would be if the automation in the Boeing was used.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 12:23:19 PM »
Yet another great excerpt from your upcoming book (we hope :aok).

Just have to ask... a go-around to a 1700 foot level off... reduced thrust to smooth it out? You would know how violent that would be if the automation in the Boeing was used.

Yeah, climb, level off, thrust as required for the next event.  I feel your pain with the automation.  :rofl

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 08:15:03 AM »
Puma, I was at Moody from 00-05 as a FE on HH-60s.  The controllers got a little better, one even had a good sense of humor.  We were out doing an EP training sortie(which the FE's all hated since we loaded up with a few co-piots and an IP , they seemed to last forever), anyway were were finally headed back after what seemed like 6 hours(actualy about 4 hours) in the air downt at Valdosta airport doing autoratations and single engine out practice along with a few other EPs.  We were west of the base over I-75 when we get a chip light on our #1 enginge...checklist says drag the eng back to idle and monitor...if vibrations occur shut it down.  That day the wx wasin the 40s and we were light on gas.  For those that might not know, helos perform better when the wx is cool and you are closer to sea level...hot and in the mountains is not fun.  Back to the story...we proceed inbound and contact tower to let him know that we are headed in, he clears us to land at the helipad which is where we usually go.  While this is going on, we are discussing if we should declare an emergency or not, since technically the engine is still running, no vibes and its cool and we are light weight.  The IP says if its all the same I would rather not declare an emergency unless we really have since the wing requires all kinds of paperwork when you declare an IFE and we all hate that.  So tower says cleaner to land pad 1, we reply coule we get the runway? to which tower responds sure exit taxiway Alpha.  I should have added this earlier but when we are single engine, we pretty much have no single engine hover capability...additionally the checklist says that a running landing is strongly suggested.  Our pilot responds unable Alpha, we knew there was no way we could stop in that short of a distance.  So tower says "exit Bravo", our response "probably wont make that one either".  Tower now knows somethings up and asks if if anythings going on?  We replied "we are kind of single engine", he comes back with would you like to declare an emergency?  We tell him we are still discussing it, all the while getting closer to the field.  He finally says we are clear to land, use as much runway as we need and he was rolling the fire trucks because he felt they were probably "kind of bored sitting there nice and warm in the fire dept".  We landed without incident, followed by the trucks back to parking where leadership was waiting.....with the IFE paperwork.  Our good friend in the tower had called our SQ and talked to the boss giving him a running commentary.  Thanks alot buddy.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 09:06:55 AM »
Hey Jolly!  Great story from back in the day. When I was there, nothing but Phantoms on the ramp.  We had no rescue capability to speak of (reminds me another story, thanks!).  I can’t think of an example where tower screwed the pooch.  Probably because there was a SOF in the tower monitoring during flying operations.  So nice of the tower guy to “help” you out.

Where was the helo pad on the field?  Obviously, a new addition since I was there.

Thanks for volunteering to serve, Jolly!  :salute

Offline dieter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 05:04:46 PM »
Great story Puma, appreciate you sharing it!  When I was a pup enlisting in the Marine Corps, my recruiter tried to talk me into being an ATC, I laughed and told him no thanks.  After he convinced me that infantry wasn't where I belonged, I enlisted for open contract Avionics.  I worked airborne firecontrol radar for the F-4N and the F-4S at the I level (component level repair), loved it.  Didn't think I'd enjoy the tightly wound community of the ATC's. 

ULDieter

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
Thanks Dieter!  :aok  Thanks for volunteering to serve.  :salute

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 01:18:27 PM »
Puma the pads wre on the north end near the hammerhead.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 02:19:39 PM »
 :aok