Author Topic: The infamous Torque roll  (Read 819 times)

Offline dieter

• Zinc Member
The infamous Torque roll
« on: April 07, 2020, 03:10:43 PM »
This is a great example of a torque roll, I just love the way it makes the plane hang there and oscillate on the prop.  Short one, but I think it shows the manuever well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6zvR-_5KxE

ULDieter

PS, I don't make these videos, that's ULTactus' work. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 04:28:01 PM by dieter »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: The infamous Torque roll
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 04:13:14 PM »
+1
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline BTPage

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 06:18:37 PM »
This is a great example of a torque roll, I just love the way it makes the plane hang there and oscillate on the prop.  Short one, but I think it shows the manuever well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6zvR-_5KxE

ULDieter

PS, I don't make these videos, that's ULTactus' work.

Lol what with the PS my dude? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Offline dieter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 07:58:30 PM »
Yeah, just wanted to make sure people noted I don't do these, this is a lot of effort, and with people in the past thinking I made them, I wanted to include that! 

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 01:56:58 PM »
Looks like a torque assisted aileron roll to me. Not to far from a snap roll either, depends on control inputs which was not obvious
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 03:36:25 PM »
What this is, is an example of an aircraft out of control departing flight.

I really don't recommend this to anyone attempting defensive flying in the MA, it costs Energy and gives the opponent a shot opportunity.

This is great example however
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNk-tqBFpq0
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Kumicho Oyabun

• Zinc Member
      • Gokudo Yakuza
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
Torque Roll is in the vertical, Snap Roll is in the horizontal?  :headscratch:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 07:46:34 PM »
A torque roll happens when an aircraft loses roll stability, generally by reduced aileron authority from slow speeds. It's also a vertical aerobatic maneuver, ascending or descending.

The video appears to show a snap roll, where one wing is stalled and the lifting wing rolls the aircraft, this can happen with or against torque.

Both torque rolls and snap rolls can occur in the vertical or horizontal.

Offline dieter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 09:16:08 PM »
Loved the video of the Pitts!  This manuever is a torque roll, not in the vertical, but if you look at how it rolls, it's not a snap roll.  You need speed/energy to do the snap roll in a controlled fashion.  This is not a loss of control of the aircraft, as you can readily come out of it when you want.  Did you notice Tactus did pull out of the manuever at will.  Also note how fast the closure speed of the F6F was when he induced it.  I can marginally do them, not as well as Tactus.  I usually have to ask Tactus about it when I'm flying to be reminded of how to enter into one, but you use the torque of the motor to induce it.  I always forget which way to roll in regards to the torque when you induce it, as it will only goes in one direction, and I don't always fly the same planes, so I forget sometimes the prop rotation.  Tactus could explain it much better, as he remembers performance characteristics, unlike me who just does it seat of the pants <G>.  This video was placed on here because I thought it captured the manuever to great visual effect.  If you don't know how to perform the manuever in the main, practice it offline, as it is a great defensive counter.  And if you ask Tactus, he may just explain it, as he is a pretty cool dude.  It is very difficult to hit someone doing this.  And indeed it works VERY well in the main arena.  There are many of Tactus' videos that it is in, and at least one with several aircraft on his six trying to hit him as they blow by unable to connect.  <<S>> see you in the unfriendly skies. 

ULDieter

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 07:23:20 PM »
Dieter,
You and your squad are class acts. Had a great 15-20 minute fight against you all a couple nights ago and really enjoyed watching your squad using wingman and squad tactics against me. Had multiple HO free merges - which is when I knew I was dealing with a great squad. I could tell you were all communicating when I'd see a pair break off to bait me and another pair would follow that up. Great flying with you all whether it's on the same or opposing sides.
Elvis
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline dieter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 12:12:59 AM »
Thanks Elvis!  It was a great fight, we were so heavy, we had a full load of fuel, and had jettisoned our drop tanks when you found us!  You used you e well, and it was indeed a great fight!  We were hard pressed in that fight.  I look forward to flying with you instead of trying to dodge you!   :salute

ULDieter

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 02:29:02 PM »
I may have been in that fight too, in a Spit 14,  I did not manage my energy as well as Elvis, and felt lucky to survive the fight.  I agree with all of Elvis's comments.  :salute

Offline dieter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 12:43:27 AM »
Thanks Daddy!  It was a good fight, we were hard pressed on that one!! <S>

ULDieter