Author Topic: Simple terrain enhancement  (Read 398 times)

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Simple terrain enhancement
« on: December 12, 2000, 04:37:00 AM »
Had this little lightning strike while reading about the Bataan Air Force. Taking off from a field with trees all around does create a challenge, but how to simulate it? Easy, make your entire terrain 35ft ABOVE sea level. Then "sink" the field to create a simulated tree line. With vehicles this does pose a problem, since they can't go up a vertical slope. Instead of giving every fraggin field a seperate V-base, place one closer to the field and within the sunken area. This would restrict them to defensive ops only, and give you dedicated local air defense.

Maybe create a "ramp" of sorts on one end by gradually sloping the terrain up. This would let you do vehicle ops, but only locally.

This is just a general theory, so tell me what you think.

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2000, 04:54:00 AM »
 Good ideas,I`ve been playing with elevations to restrict Ostwind assaults in my Philippines terrain,but hadn`t thought abouts sinking the runways in.  

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2000, 10:49:00 AM »
The first terrain I created had this feature (I gave up on it due to base placement problems, which I have since figured out) If you would like I can e-mail it to you to check out. I made a very small `forward' airfield which is in among the trees which makes take offs and landings tricky.

The map I am going to release this week has the latest version of that forward airfield on it.

SD