Author Topic: this set up work okay?  (Read 975 times)

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
this set up work okay?
« on: April 08, 2020, 10:21:40 PM »
looking at this digital storm build for maybe getting back into the game, will it be okay for AH current game? Also - understand VR is the way to go these days - what is the Oculus set needed? - I am so far away from a computer builder type - so will be going in blind on this and learning again as I go

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2981252
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: this set up work okay?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 02:05:15 AM »
It will run the current game very well up to 1440p @ 60 Hz and even higher. 1080p @ 144Hz should be within reach as well. VR might require a more powerful video card for full performance.

It seems a bit curious that they're showing a short version of the video card in the description while the case allows for a 40 cm long card! A longer card has more cooling fans which will make it both cooler and quieter.

Another thing I noticed is that they don't actually tell what's inside. The specs are OK but for a "tailored" rig I'd like to know the exact makes and models before buying. There's a reason why even the same video card type has a wide price list within a single manufacturer. Overclocking is not the only difference, there's also options like with/without a backplate and other structural things.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 05:38:55 AM »
expensive CPU with an ultra-cheap mainboard, RAM without specified speedgrade, questionable PSU, SSD seem OK but too small, old 2060 (one should not start below 2060S due to extra 2GB VRAM)

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 06:57:54 AM »
check out iBuyPower

https://www.ibuypower.com/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 07:00:43 AM by wrench »
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 11:06:03 AM »
expensive CPU with an ultra-cheap mainboard, RAM without specified speedgrade, questionable PSU, SSD seem OK but too small, old 2060 (one should not start below 2060S due to extra 2GB VRAM)
Yeah. See this is why I'm about building my own. You can use sites like this to  generally lay out what you want or how much it may cost, but some of the cost of having a place like this actually put the system together for you goes toward exactly that. They're in business to make money after all and how they maximize their margin is by putting maybe not the best quality components into the build. It'll work, sure, but if you're looking at gaming performance there's no substituting quality components. Filed under you get what you pay for, it might be disappointing. You could put that money toward some better hardware or more components like more and better memory or as others have said, a better graphics card or PSU. The PSU shouldn't be overlooked or skimped on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 03:06:25 PM »
Nwbie, check out the "Excellent" tier on this web site (my son's) to get an idea what you can build for the same price:  https://www.logicalincrements.com/

The site also contains all the info you need to build your own.

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:03:18 PM »
watching the videos... still very nervous about building one
But this may be the one thing I actually try :)
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 01:41:06 PM »

I've done it and enjoyed the learning involved.  I'm now in the process of putting together new builds for myself and for my wife using some hand me down parts since she has less demanding needs for her desktop.  If you have questions you can use the blogs on their website, and of course the forum here.   :cheers:

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »
The good news there is unlike pretty much everything else on the planet computer components are pretty standardized insofar as how things actually plug into each other. Like I was saying the only specialized tool you're gonna need is a Phillips head screwdriver. Surely you have one laying around. One word of caution is to avoid static. Get a wrist strap(they're cheap) and ground yourself while working on it. And don't do this on carpet or while wearing a sweater. You'll be asking for it if you do!

Otherwise just make sure you have processor and memory compatible with your main board and the rest should be easy. The internet is your friend. And we're here to help if you need. Good luck.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
I've done it and enjoyed the learning involved.  I'm now in the process of putting together new builds for myself and for my wife using some hand me down parts since she has less demanding needs for her desktop.  If you have questions you can use the blogs on their website, and of course the forum here.   :cheers:
I de-rated my old PC. Took off the overclock, put in an old graphics card, using an older 24" TV for a monitor. It's now the wife's work from home rig. That 2011 build served me well.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"