Author Topic: Continuing Saga of the Stubborn Reverb G2  (Read 760 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Continuing Saga of the Stubborn Reverb G2
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2024, 10:43:31 AM »
Yeah I love my G2 but know it's days are numbered whether it be by the cable or Microsoft killing WMR---whichever comes first! The latter having already been announced. I have a backup new cable just in case but I'm a year and a half into my original v2 cable with no issues<knocks wood>. That said, I don't think your problem is with the cable. It seems they either work or they're dead. No in between. Since your headset is working, I'd rule that out. They're like friggin unicorns anyway and dang expensive if you can even find one. Must be something else here.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2024, 01:29:54 PM »
Yeah I love my G2 but know it's days are numbered whether it be by the cable or Microsoft killing WMR---whichever comes first! The latter having already been announced. I have a backup new cable just in case but I'm a year and a half into my original v2 cable with no issues<knocks wood>. That said, I don't think your problem is with the cable. It seems they either work or they're dead. No in between. Since your headset is working, I'd rule that out. They're like friggin unicorns anyway and dang expensive if you can even find one. Must be something else here.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Wonder how many “days” we G2ers have left?  Anyone looking ahead to a replacement that is hopefully less problematic? 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2024, 04:26:42 PM »
I upgraded to a Pimax Crystal.  Expensive and the software is a little finicky, but worth it. 

Edge to edge clarity that is sharper than the G2's sweet spot, local dimming (so black items are black and not smokey black), wider FOV, and eye tracking that allows for dynamic foveated rendering (more performance without loss of picture quality).  The integrated DMAS speakers give a little better audio than the G2.

Granted this is overkill for AH, but it is the next evolution in VR and has some years ahead of it before the competition can surpass it.  It is OpenXR (industry standard) so it works well with the other main flight sims out there.  If AH gets a VR update it will probably be to OpenXR.  I know the Crystal works with SteamVR, but don't know if anyone has tried it in AH.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 11:03:31 AM »
Last night in MNM, someone mention the possibility of a memory leak and to do a diagnostic.  Accomplished it after signing off.  Results showed no memory leak issues. 

Earlier in the day, I was  getting reasonable FRs in the main (70-80ish) and no screen stutters.  In MNM last night, sitting on the runway, FRs were low 20s, then mid 40s, and back to low 20s with no significant head movement.  Looking straight up, FR was high 70s. Any other view was 40 +/- with screen stutters when flying in a turn or pitching up or down. 

Just plain strange between two uses yesterday, with the computer shut down between.  :x
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 11:34:44 AM by Puma44 »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2024, 01:26:49 PM »
If you haven't already done so, I would, while in VR - go to graphics settings and turn everything down to the bare minimum and see if that affects your FPS.   The VR version is a separate executable, so the graphics settings in the 2D version are separate and different form those in VR.   Just seems like there could be some setting that is set too high.   I don't use shadows in VR, they are too much of an FPS hit, and my Environment slider is set to '1'.

Also, I'm on my 2nd Reverb cable and it gives me and error 1-4 nearly every time I fire it up.   I have to disconnect the power block and re-plug it back in.   I thought it might be a power saving mode incompatibility because I use "SLEEP" mode quite often, since my screen saver won't function when I have all my peripherals plugged in.

Sometimes even that won't help, and I'm forced to try every trick I know - rebooting or shutting down, disconnecting the headset completely and reconnecting using different display port, etc.  I can usually finally get it to work, but not always.   

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2024, 07:35:20 PM »
If you haven't already done so, I would, while in VR - go to graphics settings and turn everything down to the bare minimum and see if that affects your FPS.   The VR version is a separate executable, so the graphics settings in the 2D version are separate and different form those in VR.   Just seems like there could be some setting that is set too high.   I don't use shadows in VR, they are too much of an FPS hit, and my Environment slider is set to '1'.

While sitting on the runway, I did just that.  Cycled all the graphics setting sliders to lowest setting and tried checking and unchecking boxes with no real improvement.  Some changes would make the FR bubble up and down but, not improve to the point of 80-90.

Interesting you should mention the cable.  I noticed the FR change small amounts when I adjusted position of the cable.  I’m becoming more suspicious of that and have ordered a replacement.  One more thing to eliminate.  Mine will be gold plated, considering the cost.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2024, 06:17:16 AM »
Last night in MNM, someone mention the possibility of a memory leak and to do a diagnostic.  Accomplished it after signing off.  Results showed no memory leak issues. 

Earlier in the day, I was  getting reasonable FRs in the main (70-80ish) and no screen stutters.  In MNM last night, sitting on the runway, FRs were low 20s, then mid 40s, and back to low 20s with no significant head movement.  Looking straight up, FR was high 70s. Any other view was 40 +/- with screen stutters when flying in a turn or pitching up or down. 

Just plain strange between two uses yesterday, with the computer shut down between.  :x
I forgot to mention...a Windows Disc Cleanup or whatever it is called and deleting all but a few AHfim files, solved my FR issues with Clipboard being open. Made for almost instant update...load up upon entering the arena.  i had like 5 min of lag between signing in and having Roster and Icons, DarBars  ect showing on clipboard.   Just another possible issue if you haven't tried it, I guess. I find that if I get very much beyond 160 AHfilms saved.the lag comes back a bit?  For some reason, unknown
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain