Author Topic: Vr vs track ir  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
Vr vs track ir
« on: April 12, 2020, 02:12:28 PM »
Hi all just checking in to see and poll what you feel is better...A high resolution screen with track IR or a high quality VR headset and sacrifice resolution specific to flying in this particular sim.
Other questions are you heavily immersed, trapped in the headset if you want to look at a map or take notes or plot does it cause motion sickness what are the trade-offs?
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
Re: Vr vs track ir
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 04:33:35 PM »
Hi all just checking in to see and poll what you feel is better...A high resolution screen with track IR or a high quality VR headset and sacrifice resolution specific to flying in this particular sim.
Other questions are you heavily immersed, trapped in the headset if you want to look at a map or take notes or plot does it cause motion sickness what are the trade-offs?

Interested in this as well. Have TrackIR now and have some upgrade in mind to be VR compatible down the road. Will sit back and watch this thread.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 04:59:25 PM »
Everything looks way cooler in VR. The cockpits look like you can reach out and touch stuff. Your depth perception in a close fight is far better in VR than on a flat monitor. That plane over there looks like an actual plane in 3D. The resolution isn't as good generally but that'll get better over time like everything else. You can get higher res headsets but they cost a ton. 400 bucks will get you an entry level headset like my RiftS. The lower res has its advantages tho. When I switched to a 1080 monitor I noticed I had a hard time seeing dots at longer distances. No longer a problem in VR. I see things before a lot of others. So that's some of the good things.

The bad is you'll be craning around more in VR than in TIR. It's 1:1 only--no scaling, but at least in AH you can use the hats to blend VIEWS which is a big help. That and you're gonna need some extra horsepower in your PC to run VR.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 12:25:53 AM »
 :aok Drano nailed the key points. There is NO going back to 2D, for me anyway. I loved my TIR but have been in VR now going on 3 years....hard to believe. I would say get VR, even if for just jumping a Jeep of a hill in AH3! YES ITS THAT COOOL :devil The Tanking aspect in VR isnt as good, well compared to Flying. It changes things a bit too much for me, wirbs M3s and the like are fine, you will just not get the same bonus as you do in flying :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 06:32:38 AM »
Great thanks for the input guys!

Saadi

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 06:06:51 PM »
The Tanking aspect in VR isnt as good, well compared to Flying. It changes things a bit too much for me, wirbs M3s and the like are fine, you will just not get the same bonus as you do in flying :cheers:

I tank in VR all the time. The only 2 things I dislike are german gunsights as the range counters are often on the peripheral of your vision, and I have dominant left eye so need to compensate.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 01:25:06 PM »
Hey Raven!    :salute

For me with my Rift I immediately fell in love with VR, but as others have said there are pluses and minuses, but the immersion is amazing, you are in the plane!

The 2 minuses for me are I find I miss seeing bandits in my rear more often due to more limited FOV, but the hats switch views definitely help.  Also much harder for me to type messages.  1stpar and others use Voice Attack to help make up for lack of easy keyboard access.  Bottom line for me is I love VR and do not want to go back!    :airplane:

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »
Drano nailed the key points. There is NO going back to 2D, for me anyway.

Agreed.  I was skeptical about the lower resolution - look how many years HTC has put into making the game hi-res - but the functionality of VR more than compensates.  By a lot.  And, as others have said, the head-craning can be helped by using the old standby hat switches in conjunction with VR.

And I often remind myself how much fun I had in Air Warrior, the visuals of which were primitive by modern standards.

- oldman

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 08:22:25 PM »
Meh my first VR headset had 263x230 res LCD's. My first AH usable VR headset was 800x600 panels.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 12:55:27 PM »
Went from 3 screens to 1 massive monitor then added trackir the upgraded to vive pro vr

Nothing beats vr for immersion and fun in AH

Still using trackir in DCS as their vr is light years behind AH IMO

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 01:43:23 PM »
As is IL-2's IMO. The whole 1:1 thing gets to be something, while "realistic", literally gets in the way of the game play. It's literally a pain in the neck after a while especially after a bit of combat. And seeing anywhere beyond 4-8 o'clock, that part of the hemisphere, is about impossible and keep hands on stick and throttle. I've posted about adding the hat views to extend the fov but the TIR crowd which is the greatest majority, ain't having it.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 05:42:24 PM »
I have zero experience with VR at this point and really like to track ir views.

one thing I'm seeing in this post is there is a lot of neck craning with VR and hat switch is required to help.

I'm wondering is it possible to use track IR WITH the VR?  In other words can you  tell tracker that the VR is your monitor so to speak so it will track your head movement and solve the neck craning issue? or is VR slaved to a 1to 1 perspective?

Saadi

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 07:05:31 PM »
I have zero experience with VR at this point and really like to track ir views.

one thing I'm seeing in this post is there is a lot of neck craning with VR and hat switch is required to help.

I'm wondering is it possible to use track IR WITH the VR?  In other words can you  tell tracker that the VR is your monitor so to speak so it will track your head movement and solve the neck craning issue? or is VR slaved to a 1to 1 perspective?

Im not sure if that is possible with work arounds, but I imagine that it could cause some motion sickness pretty quick.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 08:07:29 PM »
Everybody thought that about TIR. I never had the problem. If somebody ever figured that out I'd try it. Looking all around in VR is totally doable when standing up for a lot of games but when seated like we are in a flight sim it doesn't really get it.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 12:14:41 PM »
The hat views make VR in AH terrific unlike DCS and IL2 where they restrict their vr views to head movements only in the name of " realism "

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals